Topical Nitric Oxide as a First - in - Class, Local Antiandrogen Therapy | HairLossTalk Forums

Topical Nitric Oxide as a First - in - Class, Local Antiandrogen Therapy

Discussion in 'Hair Loss and Alopecia Published Studies' started by squeegee, Jun 15, 2013.

1. squeegee

squeegee Banned

Dislikes Received:
  2. Sparky4444

Sparky4444 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is there anything that molecule can't do??? Good find squeeg'!!

There is reason that guy won a Nobel prize for his working in NO...In the meantime, I'll continue to wash down those two huge glasses of beet juice a day...it makes you feel pretty damn good and it gives your face a rosy glow -- must be helping somewhat with your scalp

3. IDW2BB

IDW2BB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.specialchem4cosmetics.com/markets/skin-care/news.aspx?id=9848
    - - - Updated - - -

I guess Bryan was wrong about minoxidil. not having an effect on Androgenetic Alopecia like finasteride. does.:hmmm: Would love to hear his explanation.:dunno:

- - - Updated - - -

Now playing 6 degrees to sb204:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=ondansetron wnt
    wait for it....................................................................................................................................................................................................................http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23493539
    .......................and there you have it.[HR][/HR]

4. squeegee

squeegee Banned

Dislikes Received:
    Happy now? lol you own me a grasshoper on tap at the Druides :beer:

- - - Updated - - -

5. Sparky4444

Sparky4444 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    well, I'll be happy when we have something to apply -- then you might get that beer ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

..ummm, now we're blaming fructose??? Let's keep this thread on track...humans evolved on fruits just as much as they did on meat...

...cutting back your fruit intake won't help now, even if it is linked..

6. Jacob

Jacob Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
  7. IDW2BB

Dislikes Received:
    well.... that would explain why humans have always been bald/balding even before agriculture. What do macaque eat? Also, fruit + booze + western diet is a WHOLE lot of influence on all those pathways and microRNA mentioned in the prior link. Heck, what if during pregnancy, an expectant mother eats a whole bunch of fruit and pasta? What if her mother before her did that? I'm not say'n....I'm just say'n.:dunno:

8. Sparky4444

Sparky4444 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Right...but the point is moot now...this is about counter-acting it

NO gets the blood flowin -- but I think we need something in the blood to fight this...NO won't be enough on its own.

9. Armando Jose

Armando Jose Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    "I have always said the 'Holy Grail' of acne treatments would be a topical that can influence sebum production or the physicochemical properties of sebum. If you can do that, the ability to kill P. acnes is icing on the cake," said Dr. Leyden.
    Dr. Jame J Leyden is a good investigator about acne during decades, from early 70`s. He clearly talks about the “physicochemical properties of sebum” Acne and common hairloss are linked in my idea.
    I think that the modification of sebum flux acts as a trigger in common hair loss. Sebum is altered passing the time, it is important that sebaceous gland produce sebum but it is necessary that this sebum can be remove from the scalp and pilosebaceous unit. I have also the idea that sebum not only dischard towards the surface of the scalp, Sebum is not only directed outwards but can travel into the hair follicle. In this narrow zone, sebum meets the stem cells and melanocytes. If can be confirmed this assumption, then we can explain the miniaturization of hair loss before the terminal lost of it, and at the same time it could be explain the specific model of hair loss, because it does not affect the sides of head because this area does not occur alterations in sebum flow, creation and elimination of fat.

10. Sparky4444

Sparky4444 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    ...at that point, we're damn near there....if anyone can explain why the sides don't bald but the top does, then bingo...need more on this angle...

11. IDW2BB

Dislikes Received:
    from Armando's post:" I have also the idea that sebum not only dischard towards the surface of the scalp, Sebum is not only directed outwards but can travel into the hair follicle."

12. resu

resu Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    The sides do thin, the areas where the frames of my glasses touch the head are thin in a very obvious vertical line till the back of the ear. I think my hair loss is a mix of male pattern baldness with something else that I haven't found any info since the same happens on my legs, the areas where the socks end are hairless. The only common thing is sebum, I think the glasses touching the head and socks (etc..) compress the sebum into the pores or block it causing inflammation and killing the follicle. Sebum and bacteria/fungus shouldn't be overlooked, not the cause but can cause damage in the male pattern baldness region.

Karl Pilkington has thinning on the sides too, google him up.

13. IDW2BB

Dislikes Received:
    what are your thoughts on the paper Dr. Kelce presented in squeegee's link? what are your thoughts on sb204 based on your theory?

- - - Updated - - -

14. Armando Jose

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Yeah, it is right ....
    sides don't suffer from excess of sebum..... why? Because all days, these hairs, are in contact with an absorbent surface during some hours. Clear and simple.

- - - Updated - - -

this explain, in my opinion, the miniaturization of hairs because there is less stem cells arriving to the dermal papilla

- - - Updated - - -

good point

- - - Updated - - -

It is possibe that Nitric oxide can reduce sebocytes proliferation. lipid synthesis and sebum production.... but the real problem in my opinion is that sebum is not eliminated at the proper time

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I remember my patent with no success with melatonin
    http://www.espatentes.com/pdf/2101660_a1.pdf

It was a disappointment, from the beginning, because they had patents in this time I saw the two patents (Regelson and one from Japan) that appeared at the same time, ..., passing the time it continued
    http://www.google.com/patents/US6281241 in this patent cited mine

Anyway I do not get to see in those persons who tested it, the holy grail of new hair was impossible, so I thought it should be more useful to keep the hair and that's when I just started to look for alternative method aforementioned

15. Sparky4444

Sparky4444 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    there is no doubt about it -- as I have aged, my sides and back have gotten finer, not as thick and dense....but it isn't falling out -- yet! :badmood:

16. squeegee

squeegee Banned

Dislikes Received:
  17. Sparky4444

Sparky4444 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    IF it would have worked, it would have been out by now....

18. Mr White

Mr White Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Nitric Oxide is a cool substance. Isn't this used to treat erectile dysfunction, as well? I believe v**** (and other PDE-5 inhibitors) increase NO levels so that more blood can get into the penis.

19. squeegee

squeegee Banned

Dislikes Received:
    Bump!

[h=1]Inhibition of cytochromes P450 by nitric oxide and a nitric oxide-releasing agent.[/h]Wink DA, Osawa Y, Darbyshire JF, Jones CR, Eshenaur SC, Nims RW.
    [h=3]Source[/h]Chemistry Section, National Cancer Institute, Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Maryland 21702.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The effect of nitric oxide (NO) on cytochrome P450-mediated benzyloxyresorufin and ethoxyresorufin O-dealkylase activity of rat hepatic postmitochondrial (S-9) or microsomal subfractions, or purified rat liver CYP2B1, was examined. Two distinct inhibitory phases were observed regardless of whether the NO was added prior to initiation of the reactions with NADPH or during the course of substrate turnover. The first was a reversible inhibition characterized by complete cessation of catalytic activity, the duration of which was NO concentration-dependent with an IC50 in the range of 8-60 microM. This phase was followed by a second, irreversible, inhibitory phase characterized by a varying extent of recovery of activity, with inhibition ranging from < 1 to approximately 100%. The extent of this diminution in substrate conversion rate was also NO concentration-dependent, with an IC50 in the range of 13-72 microM, and could be partially abrogated by the inclusion of bovine serum albumin in the reaction mixture. Lower IC50 values for both inhibitory phases were obtained in the case of benzyloxyresorufin O-dealkylase activity than in the case of ethoxyresorufin O-dealkylase activity, suggesting a differential susceptibility to inhibition by NO for the two O-dealkylase activities. A nitric oxide-releasing compound ([Et2NN(O)NO]Na,DEA/NO) caused qualitatively similar inhibitory effects on benzyloxyresorufin O-dealkylase activity when added prior to the initiation of the reactions with NADPH, or during the course of substrate turnover. Based upon these results, it is possible that NO may play a role in the regulation of P450 activity in vivo.

- - - Updated - - -

At the occipital scalp, androgens enhance inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), which catalyzes production of nitric oxide from L-arginine.[SUP][14][/SUP] The induction of nitric oxide synthase usually occurs in an oxidative environment, where high levels of nitric oxide produced interact with superoxide, leading to peroxynitrite formation and cell toxicity. iNOS has been suggested to play a role in host immunity by participating in anti-microbial and anti-tumor activities as part of the oxidative burst[SUP][29][/SUP] of macrophages.[SUP][30][/SUP] The gene coding for nitric oxide synthase is on human chromosome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgenic_alopecia

20. Armando Jose

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    the key question could be, androgens enhance inducible iNOS, only in occipital scalp?