Topical Flutamide v. Topical Spiroactalone

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm going to purchase one or the other at http://www.lipoxidil.com .

I know the flutamide is a much stronger antiandrogen and it will yield better results than the 2% spiroactalone.

I'm going to be using one of these on my hairline.

However, I'm not quite sure if I should purchase the flutamide because of its supposed systemic absobtion. I already have enough crap running through my body, and I definitely don't want some chemical named flutamide screwing with my hormones, causing gyno, or anything.

I can't find much information on flutamide system absorbtion. Can anyone help me with this?

I don't mind going the topical spiroactalone route, as long as the 2% can yield some results. I really want to prevent my receding hairline from getting worse.

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
If the topical flutamide your planning to use is so powerful to the point that it gets systemic absorbed and cause feminizing side-effects, isn't that an indication that any Testosterone/DHT that was trying to screw your hair follicle eventually was beaten up to death by flutamide? 8) I guess that DHT would have no place there then.

lordhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Could you post back with your experiences if you go for the topical spironolactone from Lipoxidil?

I might be interested in giving it a whirl

Just out of interest why are you going for the lipoxidil spironolactone over Dr Lees?

Cheers

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I just mailed my consultation form to Dr. Lee today-- it will be sent tomorrow.

I dunno. I hate waiting. I'm a very impatient person, but I'll probably go for Lee's 5% if I don't hear any results from lipoxidil.com

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry to pull out this old thread
Aplunk1 -- Did you ever get a response from Dr. L about the flutamide. I see that you are not trying it, hence I am guessing it does not look good for Flutamide?

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I just mailed my consultation form to Dr. Lee today-- it will be sent tomorrow.

I dunno. I hate waiting. I'm a very impatient person, but I'll probably go for Lee's 5% if I don't hear any results from lipoxidil.com

For the hairline I'd probably go with the cream. I use both 2% & 5% though :p.

ReceedingHairGuy

Reaction score
how did the 2% spironolactone go? i'm going down the same train of thought as you are on this one and would love to hear about your results.

Chadman

Reaction score
Have you guys seen this? http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a697045.html

Not trying to spread fear, but shouldn't we be concerned about possibility of death? I understand everyone is applying it topically, and I understand there's little chance of it being absorbed systemically in most cases, but that's a very, very serious risk.

Thoughts?

CCS

Reaction score
oh, with flutamide. I thought you were saying the spironolactone could cause death. How much does 5% spironolactone cream cost? I'm guessing you have to get a $100 prescription too. If I have a proscar prescription, do I need a spironolactone prescription?

beaner

Reaction score
You can get a 2% spironolactone mixture from http://www.genhair.com without a prescription....its 49 bucks for 200 ml. You can also go to http://www.minoxidil.com and get Dr Lee's 5% spironolactone lotion with an online consultation which will cost $20 that will be taken with your first order...the 5% spironolactone is $31.95 if I remember correctly. I've also seen a 5% spironolactone lotion at http://www.wholesalehairproducts.com for about 22 bucks--you dont need an Rx..there is just a disclaimer on the site that you will only be ordering products for research purposes. (yeah, right) One more is http://www.lipoxidil.com that carries a liposomal spironolactone concoction. as well as a finasteride and dutasteride liposomal mixture...these are expensive but no Rx required.

Felk

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
oh, with flutamide. I thought you were saying the spironolactone could cause death. How much does 5% spironolactone cream cost? I'm guessing you have to get a $100 prescription too. If I have a proscar prescription, do I need a spironolactone prescription?

You've had a bit of a misunderstanding there i think, my friend.

The "$100 prescription" was the monthly cost of prescription proxiphen from Dr Proctor.

There is a consultation fee with Dr Lee, around $25 I believe. If you've done this for your proscar i don't see why you'd need it for your spironolactone.

I live in Australia and have not had to pay for the prescription for either proxiphen or spironolactone.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the flutamide might not be so bad, if you make sure the dose on your scalp is low enough that it would not cause serious problems even if you took it orally. I think it would be good in a low dose on the hairline only. I seem to recall talking Goingat20 out of it. I think he had the right idea, now.

Bryan, is there a moderately safe oral dose of flutamide for men? One that might cuase side effects in 50% of men, but is reversible if discontinued once the side effects are notices? Do you know what that dose is, and which side effects are the first to pop up?

I read that only 16% of topical flutamide is absorbed systemically, but I would keep that as a safety and not use it to up the dose.

Goingat20, would you tell me where you got the flutamide? You can PM me if nessary. Is it expensive compared to spironolactone?

Goingat20

Reaction score
http://www.genhair.com if is $49 for 200 ml, so i think its not to expensive and as im only using it on my hair line, it will last me for around a year. As hair loss has hit me hard early i dont think spironolactone will help me much, thats why ive looked into flutamide.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Also i dont think the spironolactone dose in proxiphen is enough. I think any one using proxiphen once a day should add another anit-adrogen, i think this is what mvspot (im sure i got his name wrong) is doing, and he is getting good results

CCS

Reaction score
comments on genhair.com

that site does not say anything about the contents of their products. I click on the blue links and there just is no information, other than "flutamide is a strong anti-androgen". I will not buy a product from a site that does not tell me the ingredients of their product. i wonder if there is any flutamide in the product. does anyone know another source of flutamide?

i wish I knew how many androgen receptors are in the body. Since i can look up the molecular weight of flutamide, i'd use an amount that would have 10% as many flutamide molecules as there are receptors in the whole body, that way it can't be too harmful. hopefully that would be enough to get most of the receptors in the scalp. someone once sited a source that gave some info on androgen receptor density in cells. i don't know where it is, but if i had that info, I might be able to estimate the number in the body.

CCS

Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score
the thread says that pubmed has many studies on flutamide and hair growth, and that alcohol vehicles put the active ingredient in the blood too fast. Does propylene glycol count as an alcohol vehicle?

CCS

Reaction score
flutamide might not be responsible for hair growth on mice

there were some experiments where shiny bald skin was grafted on to mice and flutamide applied topically. 150 vellus hairs per cm2 grew on the scalp skin. they concluded that flutamide caused the regrowth. The only problem I see with this is that in order for the scalp to not be rejected by the mice, the mice had no immune system. it is possible that the hairs grew because there was no auto immune attack, not just because of the flutamide. I'd also like to see if there was a placebo group and what its results were. it is interesting that vellus hairs can grow were there were no noticeable velus hairs.