Topical Finasteride goes systemic too: who has experienced its sides?

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well that's good to know. There's a you tube channel PFS network I stumbled on....they were all bald and impotent....like a nightmare...

sometimes i think it may not even be worth the mess tbh. in this post there are people kind of invalidating much of what the latest study has found. the OP got sexual sides with 0.002%, yea that is 0 zeros, 1/20th of what the polichem study used. it is hard to believe that this ultra micro dosing could produce ED in someone but finasteride might just be the weirdest drug.

what i have found however in a different note is that a small dose of tadalafil completely erases the ED aide effects. 2.5mg everyday, 1/8th of what men with ED at old age typically use gives me erections like pre finasteride and even better. on a molecular level it restores what lack due to androgens causes. it increases eNOS and nNOS expression and activity in addition to its primary effect in inhibition of cGMP which leads to smooth muscle relaxation. it is also protective and anti fibrotic and if you looj at rat studies, the famous ones on dutasteride that had penile morphological alterations they found that pde5i completely prevented this and had a protective effect. in addition it can potentially raise free testosterone as well. it does not lose effectiveness either, there is no mechanism for how this would happen at all.

i am not keen on this but i sense that for many it sould be better than the 3 alternatives

1) be bald and hate yourself

2) try dangerous research chemicals

3 wait desperately for a treatment that never comes

4) experiment with topical finasteride that as many pepple i have talked to say can give sides as well although i am quite suspicious about 0.002% giving someone ED. after all i think the biggest finding from the study on topical finasteride is not that it reduced serum dht by only 35%

the biggest finding is that in the oral finasteride group, 4-5% discontinued treatment due to sexual sides when nobody, 0% did so in the topical group and that with a respectable samply of 175 people. i think i read tgat 2 people had ED so that is 1.25% vs 5% on oral, still a significant difference.

maybe i will still try it but rn i cannot lotivate myself because i do not believe that topical finasteride is truly a viable completely side free while being effective alternative

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is Worth the try! Why not?? Your sides are reversible. I've stumbled on some research that implies pregenalone is also impacted (lowers) by 5a reductase mechanism in finasteride....

I think everyone on finasteride will eventually get sides. My father is 71 and still very healthy and sexually active...I'm 44 with declining libido....so now that I'm on finasteride I'll never know what my sex drive would have been. I may not be sexual at age 55 and think it's just my personal genetics when it's really finasteride causing it

No libido is fine....it's like not being hungry even though your favorite meal is in front of me BUT if I get ED but still have libido this sucks....like being hungry, seeing favorite meal but not able to afford it.

Your sides stop after stopping drug so why not try topical?

Keep me posted. Do you use tadalifil?? Is this a solution? What do you think about pregenalone and finasteride? Lots of papers but I cannot interpret....

jazz1

Reaction score
I been using Topical Finasteride since 2010, as oral 1mg tablets gave me side effects. So back in 2010/2011 I used Genhairs 0.025% formulation for Topical Finasteride every 3rd day, which worked great and i took horny goat weed and zinc. I was able to maintain my hairloss, then a year later i built tolerance and now use 0.1% Topical Finasteride. Genhair and other compound pharmacies I used in the past have closed.

I now use MAA compound pharmacy, see below the thread I created for forum members and you can compound the Topical Finasteride at a lower dosage.

See here:

Topical Finasteride

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...oxidil-finasteride-mixture-check-here.126633/

Topical Dutasteride

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...asteride-minoxidil-mixture-check-here.128666/

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I been using Topical Finasteride since 2010, as oral 1mg tablets gave me side effects. So back in 2010/2011 I used Genhairs 0.025% formulation for Topical Finasteride every 3rd day, which worked great and i took horny goat weed and zinc. I was able to maintain my hairloss, then a year later i built tolerance and now use 0.1% Topical Finasteride. Genhair and other compound pharmacies I used in the past have closed.

I now use MAA compound pharmacy, see below the thread I created for forum members and you can compound the Topical Finasteride at a lower dosage.

See here:

Topical Finasteride

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...oxidil-finasteride-mixture-check-here.126633/

Topical Dutasteride

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...asteride-minoxidil-mixture-check-here.128666/
Thank you Jazz. I'll check it out. Were you able to get some regrowth from topical?

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so after using 1mg applied topically i have to say i have not seen a reduction in side effects. my dick is still numb and libido non existent. if the 0.05% 2ml a day did not lower dht as much i should have seen a reduction in side effects at this mark right? well sad to report i dod not. i guess i will wait it out and then go to 0.025% and then always half the dosage until i stop getting sides

it seems my body is ridiculously sensitive to this sh*t. i legit expected a libido boost after turning to topical but it never came. maybe it takes lomger than a week for oral sides to go away anyway.. but i am dissapointed

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so after using 1mg applied topically i have to say i have not seen a reduction in side effects. my dick is still numb and libido non existent. if the 0.05% 2ml a day did not lower dht as much i should have seen a reduction in side effects at this mark right? well sad to report i dod not. i guess i will wait it out and then go to 0.025% and then always half the dosage until i stop getting sides

it seems my body is ridiculously sensitive to this sh*t. i legit expected a libido boost after turning to topical but it never came. maybe it takes lomger than a week for oral sides to go away anyway.. but i am dissapointed
Im on day 15 at 0.25 ED.. I actually posted about some unusual and positive side effects over in the finasteride section of you have time to look but it feels like a retrograde ejaculation today with some discomfort I think...not a big deal.

How do you know if your sides are from topical OR from lingering oral effect? You said in a previous post you still had sides and you had stopped oral...

Ru58841.are you willing to try?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

Fina is evil.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm transitioning to topical finasteride after 13 years on oral. So far, I'm having amazing results with zero sides....DEFINITELY compared to oral. Topical finasteride could be the silver bullet for me, at least. More time will tell.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm transitioning to topical finasteride after 13 years on oral. So far, I'm having amazing results with zero sides....DEFINITELY compared to oral. Topical finasteride could be the silver bullet for me, at least. More time will tell.
:( i swaer it feels just the same as oral sides wise especially erections

Dr.Alban

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noticed crown thinning june 2019. Started topical minoxidil 5% x2 daily.
Decent regrowth a year later but still a bit thinner crown.
June 2020, Added topical finasteride 0.1 mg, 2 times weekly. Started shedding for 2 months.
Upped the dose to 0.25 mg topical finasteride daily mid october.
Crown is a bit worse. Left side of hairline Clearly more thinned out. Notice many small vellus hairs between the remaining hair, but might always have been there probably miniaturized hairs.
At least I don’t experience any sides.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
So do you wear a toupee or hair fibres? I'm into 17 days no sides 0.25mg finasteride... I just like my hair too much... but yeah I agree "Vanity, vanity, all is vanity and vexation of spirit"
No man I use dutasteride daily no sides.

vandun3

My Regimen
Reaction score
No man I use dutasteride daily no sides.
dutasteride is literally finasteride with a bunch of fluoride attached to it. why is dutasteride so much better? it inhibits all 5ar activity and dht by almost 100%. can you explain why you would not get sides with dutasteride but with finasteride?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride is literally finasteride with a bunch of fluoride attached to it. why is dutasteride so much better? it inhibits all 5ar activity and dht by almost 100%. can you explain why you would not get sides with dutasteride but with finasteride?
Dutasteride blocks both types of dht fina dont thats probably why. I have read a few others that also have no sides from duta but had sides from fina. Probably balance your hormones better is what a guy on a forum said. I had androgen deficency on finasteride but not on dutasteride.

Last edited:

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so after 10 days after switching from oral 1mg to topical i can report that i still do have side effects but they are more mild. for example ejaculate is actually thicker which suggests less systemic inhibition. i had morning wood once which i never did on finasteride however, that was after pausing topical finasteride for 2 days over the 31.12 and 1st january. i find that my erections are still not like totally normal levels but i find them somewhat improved.

i am using 0.05% and apply 2ml per day so 1mg topical finasteride. i will get blood results in 10 days and look at my estrogen which was high on oral finasteride and free T which was lowered.
itch or hairfall have not returned although that is to be expected after 10 days.

after i get my bloodwork i plan to experiment until i either have no sides or it just does not work anymore. i will just use the lowest dose that i feel no sides on no matter how effective its going to be, i thinj it will be better than doing nothing at all

i will first titrate down the dose from 0.05% to 0.025%everyday.if that does not work then i will try 0.01% per day like in the mozarella study(still apparently showed maintenance without much seruk buildup)

also what i was thinking of, if after 3 months of oral finasteride and 1 week of topical, 2-3 days are enoigh for sides to subside i could try 0.05% 2ml every second day or maybe twice a week which would still yield some scalp dht inhibition but not enoigh buildup to cause a big drop in serum values. then i can try 0.025% EOD or 0.01% EOD

sadly i seem to be very sensitive but i do believe there is a dose i can find where my blood levels are hardly affected. do i believe it will still work? i do not know but it makes no sense that at some cutoff its enough to cause systemic sides and on a tiny but lower dose suddenly its not enough to do anything at all for scalp dht, i do not believe that.

i think dojng anything even if it just yield a 25-30% scalp dht inhibition is much better than just using minoxidil especially for strong responders this might be enoigh aupplemented with maybe pyrilutamide in a few years or topicalutamide, CB(weak on its own but if fortified with a very low dose of finasteride it might be ppwerful due to working synergetic)

but i do believe thaz since dht has such high affinity, youd have to throw a lot of AA at it, if dht is just 20-30% lower, that is a lot of equivalent CB that you do not havr to use to inhibit that dht.

and if it does not work then ill have to throw the towel unfortunately. althoigh i do have to rethink because if with topicals side subside so quickly you could just use it on and off or whatever until something better comes.

i am coming from oral directly to topical, i never took a break since i wantes to make sure that dht is already maximally suppresses so that buildup of topical can not logically impact the resukts(it can only get less accumukated if the lqst oral dose was 5mg)

if topical sides take longer to show up and quicker to aubside then one could indeed just use it 7 days, pause 2 days, sure some dht will be back but i doubt it will destroy the hair follicles in that amount of time

again it is certainly not as effective as oral, hell, studies show that 1mg is significantly(statistically at leqst) more effective than 0.2mg, however i thibk combination therapy could be something worth trying(low dose finasteride to get rid of some dht and then topical AA to further reduce androgenic effects)

but who knows, if pyralutamide was available in US and works with no serum buildup i would just drop finasteride as i really dislike it as a drug but right now i do not want to let it go completely

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy fck never heard about that. That's extremely interesting, this has much potential topically, especially for reducing side effect risk.
there is many more 5AR inhibitors like this, e. gfinasteride 40% of it gets metabolized in liver into a 5AR inhibitor that has only 30% of the capacity of finasteride. if that could be used, i suppose dosing would be a lot less hit or miss since the problem with finasteride is really its steep all or nothing curve, very easy to tip it over and completely saturate the enzyme

vandun3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride blocks both types of dht fina dont thats probably why. I have read a few others that also have no sides from duta but had sides from fina. Probably balance your hormones better is what a guy on a forum said. I had androgen deficency on finasteride but not on dutasteride.
I see.

But yeah I've seen guys react well to oral duta but bad to oral fina.
Is there any reasoning behind this beyond anecdotal reports? How does dutasteride balance hormones better when it blocks nearly 100% of dht? In theory this should make sides much worse. The point I'm making is that finasteride may have other effects on the body(it's closely related to all hormones, esp progesterone) if it is true that many have sides on finasteride but not dutasteride

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i think i have started to shed again -.- deff seen sone changes in a negative way, on oral finasteride i barely lost hair, now its almost pre finasteride levels which makes me wonder if my fhomemade topical finasteride is not well made. however i do it like supposed to with minoxidil dilluted

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i think i have started to shed again -.- deff seen sone changes in a negative way, on oral finasteride i barely lost hair, now its almost pre finasteride levels which makes me wonder if my fhomemade topical finasteride is not well made. however i do it like supposed to with minoxidil dilluted
Is it possible the shed is a good thing? I suppose not huh?