Topical Finasteride Goes Systemic Comfirmed

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been using 3mg/ml for 4 days now and can hardly get an erection

The advantage of using topicals is to use a wayy lower dose than you would take orally, so anyone going for 1mg finasteride will have basically the same side effects as they did otherwise.

The problem is that my scale does not measure in milligrams accurately so its hard to dose it at at like 0.05mg per ml

I did start shedding tho, I guess the very high dht inhibition in the scalp put my hair to a shock. To get 3mg finasteride concentrations in the scalp you'd have to take like 100mg orally, sturnsurnes out to be an insanely high dose

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score

The advantage of using topicals is to use a wayy lower dose than you would take orally, so anyone going for 1mg finasteride will have basically the same side effects as they did otherwise.

The problem is that my scale does not measure in milligrams accurately so its hard to dose it at at like 0.05mg per ml

I did start shedding tho, I guess the very high dht inhibition in the scalp put my hair to a shock. To get 3mg finasteride concentrations in the scalp you'd have to take like 100mg orally, sturnsurnes out to be an insanely high dose

Im interested to try this. Did you go to a pharmacy or you make it soluble with ethanol or something else ?

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

there was never any doubt that it does go systemic tbh

el_duterino

Reaction score
no surprise this as been known for years

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But what about the regrowth since the drug is concentrated in the scalp is it going to be the same as oral finasteride?

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical finasteride seems to get out if your system faster then oral, don't you think? Oral fun sides can last very long after you quit.

Reaction score
I have started topical Finasteride about 3 months ago and I am definitely experiencing less side effects compared to micro dosing oral Finasteride. I am not sure how effective this treatment is as I have been going through a shed the last couple of weeks. I am loosing noticeably more hair in the shower compared to when I was on oral Finasteride.

Oral Finasteride gave me ball ache, low libido, morning wood suppression, liver ache and mild depression, hence I had to quit. Decided to give topical Finasteride a shot before throwing in the towel all together and accepting going bald. Up until now, I find that that I have almost no sides on topical Finasteride. I feel masculine again, morning wood is back no more liver or head aches.

I am loosing some hair (~ 50 a day) but haven't noticed much miniaturization of hair. I assume the shed has been caused my the Minoxidill.

I am on the following regimen:
- 40% Kirkland Minoxidill 5%
- 55% Vodka
- 5 X Merck Proscar pill crushed (5mg Finasteride per pill)

Time will tell if this regimen will succeed in me keeping my hair, otherwise too bad. The sides of oral Finasteride aren't worth it anymore to me.

Last edited:

scientist_0005

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Many report having sides from topical fina. It's not a secret it will go systemic.
who cares what "many people report"? it is of exactly zero value. 15% report ED on the vehicle if you warn them about it so that says nothing.

how do you explain some studies literally suggesting that there is no impact on systemic hormone levels? genuine question.
that is why i said, if you measure the hormones, you do not have to make a poll and query people about their side effects. if you serum DHT has not changed and you have sides, guess what it is? nocebo effect of course.

the real question is, why do some studies report sytsmic inhibition and others do not?

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
who cares what "many people report"? it is of exactly zero value. 15% report ED on the vehicle if you warn them about it so that says nothing.

how do you explain some studies literally suggesting that there is no impact on systemic hormone levels? genuine question.
that is why i said, if you measure the hormones, you do not have to make a poll and query people about their side effects. if you serum DHT has not changed and you have sides, guess what it is? nocebo effect of course.

the real question is, why do some studies report sytsmic inhibition and others do not?

Which studies suggest that there is no impact on systemic hormone levels? The one by Mazzarella? I believe it's theoretically possible to use it topically without significant effects on serum dht but you only need very small amounts of finasteride exposure to start putting a dent in it. The only way to use topical finasteride without an impact on systemic hormone levels is by using a very low percentage, simply because the body is replenishing 5ar faster than finasteride can reduce it. But strictly speaking there's still an impact on systemic hormone levels, it's just that the body's able to compensate for it.

scientist_0005

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which studies suggest that there is no impact on systemic hormone levels? The one by Mazzarella? I believe it's theoretically possible to use it topically without significant effects on serum dht but you only need very small amounts of finasteride exposure to start putting a dent in it. The only way to use topical finasteride without an impact on systemic hormone levels is by using a very low percentage, simply because the body is replenishing 5ar faster than finasteride can reduce it. But strictly speaking there's still an impact on systemic hormone levels, it's just that the body's able to compensate for it.
yes mazzarella but also this study. 0.25% is also much higher than mazarella. how csn this be explained, seriously? 5% reduction after 6 months

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
yes mazzarella but also this study. 0.25% is also much higher than mazarella. how csn this be explained, seriously? 5% reduction after 6 months

I would say the authors are either incompetent or actively frauding the results. There's simply no way that applying 2.5mg of finasteride to the scalp daily for half a year has no effect on serum dht. The article itself is written quite poorly and the authors don't seem all that bright tbh. They consider:

The impact on plasma DHT of 0.25% finasteride solution in our study is rather different from the previous study, which resulted in a 60-70% reduction at one week.19-20 The reason might be a difference in the evaluation period after treatment (1 week and 6 months) or dissimilar solvents and bases of the solution possibly leading to differences in systemic drug absorption.

They seem to know their results don't line up, but they offer a really poor possible explanation. If they had any credibility they would have researched it further. I'm certain that the Polichem studies results are accurate, and these aren't, simply due to the fact that we already know how quickly serum dht drops to exposure to low amounts of finasteride. And I can guarantee you're getting significant systemic exposure at 0.25% daily, unless your vehicle is so poor it doesn't even penetrate the SC.

In short, this study means absolutely nothing

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, shut up. Why you bumping a 3 year thread to say this. You know it’s goes systemic. Except it.

scientist_0005

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends on many factors, for example what vehicle did they use for their topical fina, how much did they use, etc. Also who conducted these "studies", what agenda do they have.

Anyway, you sound like the typical fina coper/tressless user who wants fina to be "safe" and ignores all evidence pointing to the contrary. Everyone who experiences sides is due to "nocebo", lol. Wouldn't be surprised if you also think DHT is a "useless hormone", another typic

what are you even talking about. do not defend finasteride, i do not like it as a drug. i am trying to find a way though for people to use it with the least systemic impact possible though because it works really well and is the only drug we have.

if there is any reason to believe a side free finasteride maintenance treatment could be set up, who in their right mind would not be interested in that? exactly.
so is it vehicle? thats what we need to find out. it is certainly not agenda driven as the one with the proprietary results had more systemic inhibition, that makes no sense.

how much did they use is exactly where the contradiction lies? how can people be so stubborn and desinterested about this subject? like, this could prove to at least maintain with very low systemic dht reduction and people just spread misinformation and quote the studies which confirm their believes about finasteride without trying to get to the bottom of why they contradict each other?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's obvious that topical finasteride goes systemic and it causes really bad side effects in a LOT of people. Anyone that thinks otherwise is just dumb and chooses to be ignorant to all the other information, studies and countless testimonials that say how bad Finasteride really is, whether oral or topical.

scientist_0005

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say the authors are either incompetent or actively frauding the results. There's simply no way that applying 2.5mg of finasteride to the scalp daily for half a year has no effect on serum dht. The article itself is written quite poorly and the authors don't seem all that bright tbh. They consider:

The impact on plasma DHT of 0.25% finasteride solution in our study is rather different from the previous study, which resulted in a 60-70% reduction at one week.19-20 The reason might be a difference in the evaluation period after treatment (1 week and 6 months) or dissimilar solvents and bases of the solution possibly leading to differences in systemic drug absorption.

They seem to know their results don't line up, but they offer a really poor possible explanation. If they had any credibility they would have researched it further. I'm certain that the Polichem studies results are accurate, and these aren't, simply due to the fact that we already know how quickly serum dht drops to exposure to low amounts of finasteride. And I can guarantee you're getting significant systemic exposure at 0.25% daily, unless your vehicle is so poor it doesn't even penetrate the SC.

In short, this study means absolutely nothing
so this further proofs my point then, it is a dose dependent inhibition unlike oral intake. in the polichem trials they had 24% reduction in dht after 7 days with the 0.2mg /ml dose. based on mozarellas study, we know that dosage as low as 0.005% which translates to 0.05mg /ml does not result in systemic impact but can give benefits for hair count after many months. so it is quite reasonable to assume that an effective dose exists where the half life outcompetes the accumulation of drug and a consistent inhibition is met. that seems to be the case with the 0.005% but could be even higher. if we use the 0.2mg 0.02% solution, at the end of the 7th day we have 24% reduction. if we apply half of that it should be substantially lower just by the fact that half life of finasteride is 15 hours. lets say to prevent accumulation you in additoon to using an even further reduced dosage(which still inhibits scalp dht around 80% of what oral finasteride does) and take a day off for example once or twice a week which is not enough for scalp dht to rebound but for systemic impact to clear out due tk the short half life

then this is a regimen that could be somewhat effective at at least maintaining hair and have very low systemic impact. you can even use 2-3ml bc with mozarella protocol you only use 1/5th of that dosage.

why would this not work? there is people i have talked to that tried various topical finasteride dosages and found that 0.004% per day, slightly less than mozarellas study had ZERO systemic dht reduction. it is not unreasonable, i think its probably more effective than stuff like low dose CB as well tbh

scientist_0005

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's obvious that topical finasteride goes systemic and it causes really bad side effects in a LOT of people. Anyone that thinks otherwise is just dumb and chooses to be ignorant to all the other information, studies and countless testimonials that say how bad Finasteride really is, whether oral or topical.
i think you are incredibly dumb for not realizing that with topical finasteride it is much more dose dependent and a massive difference exists between doing 0.25% or 0.005% and this is a fact that people like you do neither accept nor are they willing to even explore it. why?

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
so this further proofs my point then, it is a dose dependent inhibition unlike oral intake. in the polichem trials they had 24% reduction in dht after 7 days with the 0.2mg /ml dose. based on mozarellas study, we know that dosage as low as 0.005% which translates to 0.05mg /ml does not result in systemic impact but can give benefits for hair count after many months. so it is quite reasonable to assume that an effective dose exists where the half life outcompetes the accumulation of drug and a consistent inhibition is met. that seems to be the case with the 0.005% but could be even higher. if we use the 0.2mg 0.02% solution, at the end of the 7th day we have 24% reduction. if we apply half of that it should be substantially lower just by the fact that half life of finasteride is 15 hours. lets say to prevent accumulation you in additoon to using an even further reduced dosage(which still inhibits scalp dht around 80% of what oral finasteride does) and take a day off for example once or twice a week which is not enough for scalp dht to rebound but for systemic impact to clear out due tk the short half life

then this is a regimen that could be somewhat effective at at least maintaining hair and have very low systemic impact. you can even use 2-3ml bc with mozarella protocol you only use 1/5th of that dosage.

why would this not work? there is people i have talked to that tried various topical finasteride dosages and found that 0.004% per day, slightly less than mozarellas study had ZERO systemic dht reduction. it is not unreasonable, i think its probably more effective than stuff like low dose CB as well tbh

Well, technically speaking oral inhibition is also dose dependent, you just have more leeway with topical because of a localized effect (of which only a part will go into circulation).

I don't disagree with your theory, it's just that many people have tried this over the years and as far as I know, most if not all of them have failed. But I would love to see someone do it successfully. At such low levels of finasteride it becomes a matter of efficacy though.

Finasteride's halflife is not particularly relevant by the way, it's more about the 5ar2 turnover rate. I can hook you up with some articles if you want to explore your theory further and put it to practice.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i think you are incredibly dumb for not realizing that with topical finasteride it is much more dose dependent and a massive difference exists between doing 0.25% or 0.005% and this is a fact that people like you do neither accept nor are they willing to even explore it. why?

Dude, you are beyond incredibly dumb then. I did not say that the amount absorbed wouldn't be less if applied topically. I know that, it's obvious. However, some amount will go systemic, and for many people, even just a small amount is enough to cause bad side effects, just like the OP said and quite a few other people in this thread alone. There's also many many people on this forum alone who reported side effects after using Topical Finasteride.

Last edited: