TOPICAL FINASTERIDE FINALLY HERE IN EUROPE

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
We should discuss methods to getting this stuff outside of the countries it's currently available.

From hairlosscure2020:

Polichem’s P-3074 (now Almirall’s ALM12845) topical finasteride is now finally being released in the European Union countries.

Unlike specialized topical finasteride products offered by local compounding pharmacies or hair clinics, Almirall’s ALM12845 has undergone rigorous three-phase clinical trials. For more information, see Phase 3 trial results of P-3074 as well as this 2015 encouraging update.

Will Topical Finasteride have Fewer Side Effects?​

Due to some people getting persistent side effects from oral finasteride, the interest in topical finasteride is extremely high. While there are no guarantees when it comes to fewer side effects from topical finasteride, it is a virtual certainty that there will not be higher rates of side effects.

More importantly, it does give me peace of mind to use something topically rather than ingesting something orally. Moreover, with the topical product, one can use a lot less than the recommended dosage. If you are only losing hair in the crown region, you might start by applying a bare minimum of the spray or lotion in that area.

This is a lot more desirable than ingesting a whole pill. Breaking tiny 1 mg finasteride (Propecia) pills into even smaller pieces and trying to distribute the resulting dosage evenly is not practical. Make sure to also read my post on finasteride and dutasteride dosage discussion.

Note that Hasson & Wong in Canada has been prescribing its own topical finasteride for a number of years, but they have not had to undertake any clinical trials. They use a local compounding pharmacy as well as Farmacia Parati (Italy) to make their product. In the past, they told me that the topical product has fewer side effects than the oral product.

A number of other hair transplant clinics nowadays offer proprietary combination topical products that contain both finasteride and minoxidil.

Serum, Plasma and Scalp DHT Level Reduction​

Research on dihydrotestosterone (DHT) level reduction by topical finasteride shows varying results. This is obviously impacted by the type of compounded product being used, dosage amount and application frequency.

One study of P-3074 found scalp DHT levels declined by 70% with once a day application of 1 ml (2.275 mg) of P-3074 topical finasteride. By comparison, oral finasteride 0.5 mg/day reduces scalp DHT levels by around 50-70 percent (different results in different studies). However, the P-3074 study showed 50 percent scalp DHT reduction when using lower doses.

Serum DHT was reduced by 60 -70 % for the 1 ml dose of P-3074. Similar to what is seen with oral finasteride. But only 25 percent with the 100 and 200 μL doses; and around 45 percent with the 300 and 400 μL doses.

Interestingly, no relevant changes occurred in serum testosterone readings. By contrast, oral finasteride changes both testosterone and estrogen levels.

Almirall will release ALM12845 in Europe in 2021​

A few months ago, I contacted Almirall and they told me that they would release their topical finasteride ALM12845 (or ALM-12845) in Western Europe in 2021. The release date would vary by country. No plans for selling in the US market.

One of this blog’s readers (“Paul”) e-mailed them after me, and he was given the more specific release date statement below:

“Without going beyond the limits of confidentiality, I can confirm you that we expect to launch topical Finasteride by the beginning of 2021 in Europe once the assessment by Health authorities is completed.”
Earlier today, reader “Lesley” made an important discovery. She posted this recent link from Gazzeta Ufficiale (Italy). It has the English translation of part of the content from this pdf. I will discuss the content in more detail further below.

Difa Cooper’s Caretopic Topical Finasteride​

Per the above news, it seems like Italy based Difa Cooper (also known as Cantabria Labs Difa Cooper) will produce Almirall’s ALM12845. Per “Lesley”, they will only market it in France and Germany. I cannot tell for sure, but makes sense per below image.

In January 2020, Almirall announced that ALM12845 no longer fits its strategic portfolio. At the time, the company had started looking for a partner to out-license the product. The first partner is now likely Difa Cooper. I am guessing that they will need more partners in other European countries.

Per the earlier mentioned Gazzeta link:

• The topical finasteride (brand name “Caretopic“) will be in “cutaneous spray, solution” form.
  • Each ml of the solution will contain 2.275 mg of finasteride. Each bottle will contain 18 ml.
  • Each dispersion (spray) amounts to 50 μl, which contains 114 micrograms of finasteride.

inmyhead

Reaction score
18 ml? Is that week's dose? If you're diffusing, you need like 2ml per application at minimum to cover whole scalp..
This will most likely be prescription only?

Anyways, good news. Some people who are afraid of oral finasteride, will be able to try this one.

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The whole P-3074 debacle just confirmed what many of us already knew - topical Finasteride goes systemic and produces the same effects as taking it orally.

Some people report less side effects from topical. Idk if that’s due to something placebo-related or what, but the science shows that systemic DHT levels are reduced just as much as with the oral form.

The only promising thing about topical finasteride is micro-dosing, i.e <.05 mg/day. The studies on this have shown that these sort of micro dosing may decrease DHT at the hair follicles while limiting the systemic effects.

Lenny93

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats definetly a good message, but I remember that I read somewehre that it was planned to create a vehicle which minimized systemic absorbtion. Can someone explain what this was about and what happened to it?

jazz1

Reaction score

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
The topical finasteride (brand name “Caretopic“) will be in “cutaneous spray, solution” form.
Which are the excipients? Anyone know it? Chitosan or a liposmal formulation with silicone particles?

Last edited:

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical Finasteride/Duasteride have been available for years..
I have 3 bottles of Duasteride.
I would say Duasteride does work topically. As far as sides it has to go through scalp to get to bloodstream.
it produces zero sides for me. It’s just part of a regimen.

Spanishboy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical Finasteride/Duasteride have been available for years..
I have 3 bottles of Duasteride.
I would say Duasteride does work topically. As far as sides it has to go through scalp to get to bloodstream.
it produces zero sides for me. It’s just part of a regimen.
Where do you get it from?

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just visited the website of Cantabria Labs Difa Cooper and they have something called Carefinast, main ingredient finasteride, but no info is available. What's going on here?!

fuDHTck

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just visited the website of Cantabria Labs Difa Cooper and they have something called Carefinast, main ingredient finasteride, but no info is available. What's going on here?!

That's just generic 1mg finasteride sold in Italy.

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on topical finasteride/minoxidil for a month now. No sides yet, and hair is slowly coming back. Mine is a spray as well. Once I spray it on my scalp I use my fingers to rub it in. It dries in just a few minutes.

I bought it from a company called Brintop F. It's composition is 5% minoxidil and 0.1% Finasteride.

Last edited:

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
Be very careful considering this.

I was on oral Finasteride for years & years, my two sides were body thinning hair all over and some bloating.

Last summer I tried topical Finasteride using two different vehicles ranging from .25mg to 1mg per dose and I got horrendous sides.

I will note using topical Finasteride I also got incredible thickening of scalp hair, also new hairs sprouting in my crown, didn't get these benefits on oral Finasteride

Anyhow off Finasteride both topical and oral since end of summer 2020 and to be honest glad I am