Topical Finasteride 0.005% 2 X Daily

Darren187

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker fist time poster.

I'm 32 and have been receeding slowly since I was 18, currently I would say a norwood 2-3.

After lots of research I have decided not to go oral Finasteride, I suffered two courses of Roaccutane when I was a teenager due to cystic acne, and I don't think I've ever fully returned to normal. I do however understand there are risks to any drug/treatment. The acne was a 9 out of 10 (derms words) so I would say my test/DHT levels were rediculous when younger, so I am a little concerned that I may be susceptable to sides. Always been very responsive to the gym, so I would like my test levels so stay where they are.

Endless hours of reading has led me to the Mazzarella 1997 study of 0.005% topical application, basically long term it had fantastic results with little to no sides. I had always accepted that one day I would be bald, so I'm willing to take the safer route with lower dose, but longer action time. If it works, great, if not then everyone has a good reference point!

Once I've got some 0.005% I will start a journal and share the experience.

Question: I'm thinking of buying the Effagen-F from minoxidilmax and diluting down to 0.005%. Has anybody diluted pre-mixed before? and if so what was the mixture you diluted with?

Alternatively, If anyone has a UK based GP they can recommend to provide a script, I can purchase pre made from Farmacia in Italy.

Thanks all!

Darren187

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finally a person going on a rational treatment and not popping oral fina like a retard who believes he won't get sides.

And you'll find lots of people here who made topical fina themselves, use the search function.

Btw, what did not recover after you accutane treatment?

When it comes to your health, a bald head is better than messing up your chemistry permanently. Luckily I can pull off a skin head but I guess some people can't.

Roaccutane - I did two 12 week courses when 14-15 and I think it the other was 16. Mentally, I don't feel the same as before, used to be a lot more energetic and outgoing, difficult to quantify but I do feel there has been a mental change. My skin doesn't look the best, can get quite dry still. Also the main controversial one, I haven't grown any taller since taking the first course. My immediate family are all 6ft plus, I stopped at 5'10" which I was when I was 14, that point if nigh on impossible to prove but i genuinely feel like it stunted my growth.

The general sides I suffered whilst on where: consistent nose bleeds, sore/dry eyes, sore/dry lips, weak skin prone to cuts/abraisions, back pain, joint pain, mild depression.

That all being said, it did 'cure' my acne so you need to weigh up the pros and cons.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think this is a thoughtful approach. I did a year on topical, mostly avoided sides and declined but maybe slowed the overall loss without compromising my health. Out of desperation I tried the oral route and made matters worse. Tapering back to topical and a low dose and going no further with systematic treatments to protect my overall health. this battle should be fought at the follicle with some but minor collateral damage from absorption.

some people seem to manage well on oral, not sure what the future will look like but the overall impact on long term health and quality of life is a concern and reasonable consideration without shaming either end of that choice.

I might be willing to manage that risk if I had better results but to me minor results weighed against risk is a hard but necessary choice.

It is a shame that the medical community has not devoted more attention to this genetic phenomenon.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. I introduced it topically about 15 months ago. Had a few weeks of paranoia about sides (minor, libido, ED) and cut to once a day use. No sides, no stop in shedding but overall seemed to still look the same, just thinner.

I had big she’d hit late September and added .5 daily. My balls hurt and were so swollen I could barely walk, struggled to get hard even with pills, and my hair seemed to go from black to light brown in a week, more shedding...

I’ve tapered to .5 twice a week, topical once daily. Sides are mostly gone. Still thinning fast.

BMax

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. I introduced it topically about 15 months ago. Had a few weeks of paranoia about sides (minor, libido, ED) and cut to once a day use. No sides, no stop in shedding but overall seemed to still look the same, just thinner.

I had big she’d hit late September and added .5 daily. My balls hurt and were so swollen I could barely walk, struggled to get hard even with pills, and my hair seemed to go from black to light brown in a week, more shedding...

I’ve tapered to .5 twice a week, topical once daily. Sides are mostly gone. Still thinning fast.

I think your story is very interesting, i am on topical .25% and 5% minoxidil. I am 31 and have had a transplant, topicals are for up keep i dont expect or really need new growth for me if things worsen i would get another transplant rather than adjust the drugs.

I dont have any sides and my hair has stayed good since the transplant. I had some shedding after the transplant and after starting topicals for about 3 months (both transplant and topicals was same time so not sure what made that happen)

I am interested to hear what happened to you, i noticed you said no stop in shedding are you saying you had shedding before topical fina? While on oral?

I noticed you are on oral minoxidil? Why did you go for oral when using a topical fina and not getting it put together as an all in one?

Have you concidered a transplant? Or are you diffuse thinning? A transplant may boost you back up and then topicals may be able to sustain you.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really thinning fast. I have long hair and each shower is a real nightmare. I’ve been spending my amazing baseline for about three years. It’s really starting to show and the hairline is miniaturized.

I hope a transplant is a possible but the diffuse thinning in the entire Norwood area has me concerned that the area will be far too large to cover.

I was put on oral minoxidil before considering Finasteride. When the loss started all doctors called it a Telogen Effluvium and didn’t think I had any AA even for my age. Held hope and did that for a year, lost ground, tried topical, no real change but in photos it looked ok.

not sure how or why but about two months ago I had an epic shed, tried Propecia and it only got worse + sides. I’m jealous this works for some people but for me the lack of results and sides keeps me away.

im sticking with the topcial and oral minoxidil and hoping something slows things down. Considering a haircut as there might be some mechanical loss as brushing long wavy hair outs stress on the follicles.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
good luck with your journey, i've started mazzarella 10 months ago

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm using 0.025% daily (0.25mg/ml) which is about in line with the Caserini 2015 study, and is 2.5x higher dosage than what was tested in Mazzarella 1997 (2 x 0.005%). I'd be really interested in a study comparing 0.25mg/ml vs 0.1mg/ml. Mazzarella may well have been on to something 22 years ago.

Meanwhile 99.9% of people using finasteride are overdosing on oral pills like retards.

BMax

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really thinning fast. I have long hair and each shower is a real nightmare. I’ve been spending my amazing baseline for about three years. It’s really starting to show and the hairline is miniaturized.

I hope a transplant is a possible but the diffuse thinning in the entire Norwood area has me concerned that the area will be far too large to cover.

I was put on oral minoxidil before considering Finasteride. When the loss started all doctors called it a Telogen Effluvium and didn’t think I had any AA even for my age. Held hope and did that for a year, lost ground, tried topical, no real change but in photos it looked ok.

not sure how or why but about two months ago I had an epic shed, tried Propecia and it only got worse + sides. I’m jealous this works for some people but for me the lack of results and sides keeps me away.

im sticking with the topcial and oral minoxidil and hoping something slows things down. Considering a haircut as there might be some mechanical loss as brushing long wavy hair outs stress on the follicles.

I have a long hair style also. And brush it simular to you, the hair that comes out in the brush and shower is normal.

I saw your picture in another thread, you were discussing prp. I think you should stop wasting money with it. Your hair is good and long enough that a transplant could be done and no one know. If your spending 1-2k on prp save it and spend the 8k on a transplant you only need 1k or 1.5k grafts to be perfect. I posted my story in the my story forum, if you want i can post pics too.

You sound like you need to boost the number of hairs then stay on the topical and oral minoxidil and NEVER come off it.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I could stabilize then yes. And at my age I’d be content with what I have. The issue for me is the rapid thinning. Loose a ton of hair daily and while it’s growing back it’s much thinner or full on miniaturized. I doubt transplant will be an option as I am full on diffusing in a NW6/7 pattern. Even the sides have taken a major hit.

BMax

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you consulted with an actual surgen?

From the pics you dont have dupa.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you consulted with an actual surgen?

From the pics you dont have dupa.
No never thought I had DUPA definitely a pattern, but there’s shedding even in donor. I’m trying to figure out if FERRITIN plays a role never been over 30 since the shedding started.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Considering your hair loss didn't even start until your 40s I doubt you will ever reach NW6.
Just meant the indicated pattern. I think I’ll die before I hit that but if I looked at where I’m thinning it’s pretty much everywhere on top.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did u do blood test or just imagined sides?

prolactin 10,30 (rif. 2-17)
alfa 3 androstenediol 2,50 (3,40-22)
17 beta estradiol 20
testosterone r.i.a. 4,6 (rif. 3,5-9)
free test 19,61 (rif. 1-47)
androstenedione and androsterone dropped .
also had a red flag about glutathione production

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
prolactin 10,30 (rif. 2-17)
alfa 3 androstenediol 2,50 (3,40-22)
17 beta estradiol 20
testosterone r.i.a. 4,6 (rif. 3,5-9)
free test 19,61 (rif. 1-47)
androstenedione and androsterone dropped .
also had a red flag about glutathione production
What about dht ?