Topical dutasteride will destroy your hairline - STAY AWAY!!!

bsmith

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is something I could get a doctor's script for.

Did anybody have any positive experiences from it.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You are probable prone to testosterone miniaturization. Your scalp free test spikes and you are sensitive to it. You should be using CB0301 or give it a try, they sell it at 2.5% all the way to 7.5%
Tbh I'm too scared to try anything else. I tried so many different topicals including topical spironolactone and RU that i think i might have made my scalp nerves oversensitive and overreactive to chemicals. i don't think its nerve damage but its certainly very sensitive and I'm still after several years trying to heal that damage.

Maybe you are right about the testosterone miniaturization. All i can say is that it really sucks.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy crap. Well if this doesnt prove dutasteride can in some cases ruin hairlines i dont what else will.. this is terrifying.

oddmood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting study
Finasteride upregulates expression of androgen receptor in hyperplastic prostate and LNCaP cells: Implications for chemoprevention of prostate cancer

Their conclusion:

Immunohistochemical study revealed significant upregulation of ARs by finasteride treatment for 30–180 days. In cell line study, quantitative real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction revealed significant upregulation of AR.

I can somehow relate to your story, I had zero hair loss untill 27, then I started finasteride out of fear, hoping to keep that juvenile hairline forever.After 6 months my barber told me it seems I'm losing hair at corners, he cut my hair for 4 years before and always laughed when I was mentioning my slight phobia of not losing hair, but now he was the one mentioning it out of the blue.
Anyways I continued finasteride cycling it between oral and topical because of the sides. Now after 2.5 years I'm close to Norwood 2, temples are rounded and hair is very thin and diffuse all over scalp.I also used minoxidil topical in all this period but it seems it doesn't have any protective effect.
Now, of course it could be just the natural progression of alopecia or the mistake to switch back and forth between oral and topical, but it just seems odd I never had any problems untill 27 and starting finasteride.

oddmood

My Regimen
Reaction score

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can with confidence say when are comparing photos 12 months back with today that Topical Dutasteride destroyed my hairline and make my temples receding faster and today it looks way worse than ever before.
I’ve seen similar threads about the same question if dutasteride destroys hairline and I can confirm for all of you out there that you should stay away from dutasteride at all cost. And no this is not bro science, bro-science are those studies and people on the internet who selling you BS to make money.

This medicine is a multi-million industry and should be withdrawn from the market and internet immediately. There are only a few studies that show small hair improvement and dutasteride is not even FDA proven. It’s not impossible that these studies have been paid to promote to make money from a chemical that will destroy your hair forever

12 months of topical dutasteride didn’t stop receding hairline or reversed temples but instead, make it worse and faster to thinning my hair. Just because some random dudes post photos on him before and after the hair on dutasteride does not mean it will work. Internet today is full of trolls and those who talk positively about it often come from those who are selling dutasteride but want to promote their product in a manipulative way that gets your attention.
I wish I had listened to you.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The hair quality definitely looks worse and it looks like you receded but the angles are different. Here is my best guess/hypothesis as to what happened to you, assuming your dutasteride was legitimate:

You nuked your estrogen receptor beta stimulation in your hair follicles. Due to low levels of aromatase in your hair follicles, estrogen receptor beta activation was being primarily derived from DHT conversion to 3β-Adiol by the 3-keto reductase/3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzymes. This is something most people aren't aware of but DHT converts to an estrogen receptor beta agonist, 3β-Adiol. In the prostate, this can counteract the negative affects of DHT (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3250130/). I am going to assume that the levels of the enzyme needed to create 3β-Adiol in the hair follicles are very individualistic. Same with aromatase.

My guess is that you had the enzymes 3-keto reductase/3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase present but very little aromatase. When you add dutasteride, the result is shutting off the 3β-Adiol pathway and a surge in T that isn't converting to E, the other pathway to estrogen receptor beta stimulation. So you end up with plenty of androgen receptor stimulation from the all the T floating around and no estrogen receptor beta stimulation to counteract it.

I think you would be better served using a topical anti-androgen and maybe finasteride since it's inhibition of 5AR is less complete and would leave some substrate (DHT) available for conversion to 3β-Adiol. The people who respond well to dutasteride are people who most likely don't have much 3-keto reductase/3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and/or have some/ample aromatase present.

eric5larson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is my experience. I went on dutasteride because I thought it would give me more regrowth than finasteride. While on dutasteride I experienced a horrible scalp itch and I started losing ground, and it was very noticeable. Keep in mind I have been on 10mg OM all this time too, which is not a meager dose and should have helped maintain my hair through any kind of shed. After 6 months on dutasteride my hair was significantly worse and I decided to drop it. I immediately hopped on RU58841 to block the receptors, as I believe that what happened was AR upregulation. RU definitely helped the itching to stop and my scalp was feeling a lot better. Understanding that dutasteride takes a few months to clear the system, I just stayed on RU and OM before eventually re-starting finasteride. I am doing much better now on finasteride.
How long have you been on finasteride & Is Oral minoxidil really helpful ? Side effects ? I am suffering from seborrheic dermatitis even without Minoxidil, so Topical min is not for me. I have just gone under a hair line correction Hair transplant for my M shape baldness. I have been on finasteride for 6.5 years now. People say finasteride stops working after 8 years, do I have to be worried ? Also is PRP a fraud ?

eric5larson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think oral finasteride has to specifically be included going forward, very low chances of success if androgens aren't addressed in any form

because from a clinical standpoint you've basically never actually been on any validated treatment, and finasteride is the first line drug
How much do you endorse Oral Min for people with pre existing Dandruff issue ? Is Oral Min any good ?