Topical Dutasteride Case Assessment Thread

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I purchased and began using topical dutasteride (0.5% solution with azelaic acid) last week and thought I'd share my experience so far.

Background
I'm 20 years old. I've been slowly thinning in the crown since 16, and more recently my temples are starting to thin as well, though I am still NW1. My hair loss is not that rapid yet but I'm trying to get it under control early, if I could stop shedding and thicken up my crown I'd be satisfied. Initially, I tried microdosing finasteride at 17 -- it gave me sides and made me shed continuously, so I stopped after a year. Since then, I've been on minoxidil and microneedling for 2 years and RU for 1 year, but I've been losing ground again this year, shedding 50+ hairs every day in the shower.

I think finasteride made me shed more because my hair is more sensitive to the testosterone spike than the average user. So I was confident to try topical dutasteride now that I'm on RU -- according to the earlier info posted here, topical dutasteride will ideally reduce scalp DHT by 80%, and RU58841 should block most of the excess testosterone from binding.

Topical dutasteride dosage and effects:
I've been applying 0.5ml (equates to 2.5mg of dutasteride on the scalp) approximately every 4 days so far. On the first day, about 12h after applying it, I noticed that my scalp was less oily and the itch/soreness was significantly reduced. Like @Mustang reported, on the second day my shed was reduced, I only lost around 20 hairs in the shower. On the 4th day I noticed my scalp started to itch more and the shedding was increasing again, so I applied it again with the same effect.

So far it's been 8 days since I started, 3 applications of the topical, and no sides to report other than some tenderness in the chest area today. I already have gyno from puberty though so I was expecting it, but to avoid making it worse I will try to reduce the application frequency to once a week or once every two weeks if it persists.

If this sh*t really stops my shedding long term without f*****g up my d*ck I'll be extremely grateful, it seems to be the best treatment so far for me.

Questions:
- How long does dutasteride stay in scalp tissue? We know the serum half life is around 1 week, but what is the half life in the scalp tissue? It seems shorter.
- How is it possible for shedding to reduce so quickly, since hair is supposed to shed on a 2 week delay due to the length of the catagen phase? Perhaps Androgenetic Alopecia shedding occurs differently from the normal hair cycle, with a much shorter catagen phase?
5 mg per 4 days is too much, you will get sides eventually if you did on finasteride

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Opt for 1.5 mg or so per week

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
5 mg per 4 days is too much, you will get sides eventually if you did on finasteride

You don't know this.

I apply now 3ml every other day. So 7.5mg a week. No sides.

And no, given the amount that gets processed by the liver is minuscule (therefore metabolites activity is reduced) the half life is actually shorter, this is why people bounce back after a week on their serum DHT (if measured accurately) and not a month when used orally.

You should not give dosage advice based in your own experience. We are all different. Let him adjust his dosage to see where it works for him. You can't assure them that he will get sides. I did not. I am not saying he won't. We don't know

I will concur though that it's always best to start at once a week.

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I purchased and began using topical dutasteride (0.5% solution with azelaic acid) last week and thought I'd share my experience so far.

Background
I'm 20 years old. I've been slowly thinning in the crown since 16, and more recently my temples are starting to thin as well, though I am still NW1. My hair loss is not that rapid yet but I'm trying to get it under control early, if I could stop shedding and thicken up my crown I'd be satisfied. Initially, I tried microdosing finasteride at 17 -- it gave me sides and made me shed continuously, so I stopped after a year. Since then, I've been on minoxidil and microneedling for 2 years and RU for 1 year, but I've been losing ground again this year, shedding 50+ hairs every day in the shower.

I think finasteride made me shed more because my hair is more sensitive to the testosterone spike than the average user. So I was confident to try topical dutasteride now that I'm on RU -- according to the earlier info posted here, topical dutasteride will ideally reduce scalp DHT by 80%, and RU58841 should block most of the excess testosterone from binding.

Topical dutasteride dosage and effects:
I've been applying 0.5ml (equates to 2.5mg of dutasteride on the scalp) approximately every 4 days so far. On the first day, about 12h after applying it, I noticed that my scalp was less oily and the itch/soreness was significantly reduced. Like @Mustang reported, on the second day my shed was reduced, I only lost around 20 hairs in the shower. On the 4th day I noticed my scalp started to itch more and the shedding was increasing again, so I applied it again with the same effect.

So far it's been 8 days since I started, 3 applications of the topical, and no sides to report other than some tenderness in the chest area today. I already have gyno from puberty though so I was expecting it, but to avoid making it worse I will try to reduce the application frequency to once a week or once every two weeks if it persists.

If this sh*t really stops my shedding long term without f*****g up my d*ck I'll be extremely grateful, it seems to be the best treatment so far for me.

Questions:
- How long does dutasteride stay in scalp tissue? We know the serum half life is around 1 week, but what is the half life in the scalp tissue? It seems shorter.
- How is it possible for shedding to reduce so quickly, since hair is supposed to shed on a 2 week delay due to the length of the catagen phase? Perhaps Androgenetic Alopecia shedding occurs differently from the normal hair cycle, with a much shorter catagen phase?

Yes, it's hard to explain

2 days ago I increased my dosage and had zero shedding. I was my hair every other day and had lost 30 terminal hairs on the shower. Thick, long, non miniaturized hairs. I applied a larger dosage on a new bottle and today I had zero hairs in the shower. None.

This has happened several times when restarting treatment or increasing the dosage. It makes no sense in theory so this is is just anecdotal but it happens to me too.

I will look into this with some surgeons to see if they can enlighten us on why this happens

How do you cover your entire scalp on 0.5ml?

jumptr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it's hard to explain

2 days ago I increased my dosage and had zero shedding. I was my hair every other day and had lost 30 terminal hairs on the shower. Thick, long, non miniaturized hairs. I applied a larger dosage on a new bottle and today I had zero hairs in the shower. None.

This has happened several times when restarting treatment or increasing the dosage. It makes no sense in theory so this is is just anecdotal but it happens to me too.

I will look into this with some surgeons to see if they can enlighten us on why this happens

How do you cover your entire scalp on 0.5ml?
0.5ml isn't enough to completely coat my entire scalp perfectly, so I get the hairline, crown, and as much of midscalp as I can. Very careful application mainly, I apply it very slowly getting 1 drop at a time and spreading it.

jumptr

My Regimen
Reaction score
how much for the topical duta? and how much for the shipping?
I bought the regrowth labs d5a solution it was around $45 for 60ml of 0.5% and $12 for shipping to US. It's pretty cheap since each bottle should last us 3 months.

adamhs

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure
Best to change it every 3 months in my opinion as I have noticed less potency based on shedding and serum DHT after 3 months or so...
Pharmacies with trichosol give you 3 months for expiry
With Liposomes they say 6 months but I found it to not be effective after 3
I'm tempted to buy a bottle and freeze to see if the properties hold, will update this thread with findings.
I get sides with RU and oral finasteride pretty quickly, will be interesting to see if topical dutasteride doesn't have the same issue.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
0.5ml isn't enough to completely coat my entire scalp perfectly, so I get the hairline, crown, and as much of midscalp as I can. Very careful application mainly, I apply it very slowly getting 1 drop at a time and spreading it.

lol bro. 0.5ml or 1ml across your entire scalp? thats impossible unless you have a micro head, you also have to take into consideration that about half of that 1ml will be absorbed by your hair and some of it wont even penetrate the skin, so in the end you are using a very low dosage. I got a solution of 0,05% dutasteride. I applied today 8ml all over the scalp and abit of dermarolling at front and hairline. if you get a lower percentage of dutasteride you are able to apply more ML to cover your whole scalp. so in total I applied only 4mg of dutasteride on my entire head which in itself isnt enough according to mustang so gotta raise it to 10ml once a week on my next order.

Last edited:

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes but you need to visit that doctor in person its a hassel I wouldnt recommend it. the easiest way to get topical duta is from medicalwellnesscenter its from USA I live in EU. pharmacia parati is in EU but u need to visit your doctor and have him write a prescription for topical dutasteride at your desired strength. then you have to email the prescription to pharmacia parati. the pharmacia parati sells liposomal dutasteride its a cream based solution which is not desirable messy and hard to apply on the scalp, the dutasteride from medicalwellnesscenter is liquid based dutasteride much easier to apply its even lighter than minoxidill liquid in consistency.
Lies.. you can get an online prescription. Also it’s not hard to apply. Liposomal is not thick like a cream

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
The doctor mustang refers to he said u need to visit him in person that's all. And yes liposomal is a gel still too thick and annoying to apply all over the scalp with hair in the way compared to a liquid based solution where you can apply between the hairs with ease without having to part your hair and apply like u have to with liposomal gel. this thread doesnt even matter because all dutasteride does is make people shed hair like crazy including me.

Last edited: