Topical DIM (Diindolylemethane) for hairloss report

el_duterino

Reaction score
I did try it DIM as a topical on my whole scalp for several weeks.

I am sure to be the first and only known human to have done such an experiment so far.

I bought 99% pure, pharma/research grade DIM. DIM is not very expensive.

I used pharma grade pure DMSO as vehicle since DIM is very hard to dissolve. I tryied to dissolve DIM in various liquids: ethanol, PG, water etc.. but as written in the MDS it only dissolves in DMSO.

I just used the minimum of DMSO to dissolve the DIM and the rest was Ethanol, PG and D-Panthenol. I think that 1g dissolves into 3ml of DMSO so I ended up with about 5 or 10% DMSO, 10% D-Panthenol, 50% ETOH and the rest was PG.

DIM is a powerful skin irritant, it does burn the scalp in a lotion withtout a humectant.

The burning sensation dissapears after about 20 minutes.

The humectant will remove the irritation completly.

Glycerine works ok as humectant but is bad for absorption and leaves a greasy residue. I used USP D-Panthenol at about 10% in the mix.

I found out that DIM dissolves in ethanol in small quantities up to 0.4% if you want to avoid using DMSO.
But 0.4% is a bit weak by anti-androgen standards if we compare it to RU or flutamide.

DMSO is still very controversial in human use and has recently been found to hinder youg brain developpements in rats.

My trials involved using 0.5 %, 1 %, 1.5% and 2% once and even twice a day on my whole scalp as I am diffuse thinner. I was only using dutasteride as an internal during that time.

The first week on 1.5%, it seemed that my hair were getting thicker and shedding stopped.

After 2 weeks I started to shed a lot, and hair were looking thinner in diameter. I was shedding a lot of healthy thick hair and never had sheds before on any drugs. Not a good sign.
I stopped DIM and the shedding stopped the next day.

Conclusion: DIM might be a good anti-androgen but it does also 2 other things that are bad for hair.

DIM is a powerful anti-angiogenic, meaning that it will prevent new, small blood vessels from forming. This feature is good to fight or prevent cancer but very bad for hair growth.

DIM is also a powerful aromatase inhibitor, meaning that it will prevent testosterone from converting into estrogen in the scalp. this is also very bad for hair- more Test will trigger shedding. I think that this is was what caused my shedding.

While on DIM my libido was very, very high and acne was high, both signs pointing to a sharp increase in testosterone.

Final note: I switched to using RU. this is a powerful anti-androgen that works well and has no other adverse effects on hair. No shedding. No need to use DMSO.

Only drawback: RU is 10 times more expensive than pure DIM..

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
About the RU

Did you build any tolarence with it when it comes the results?? For how long RU can keep your hair.

el_duterino

Reaction score
there is no "tolerance" for such drugs. I have been using it for one year and it still works fine.

RU is a very good drug

were do you live ?

larry27

Reaction score
the solubility of DIM is better if you add propylenglicol

i use ethanol, propylenglicol an destilled water

i tryed to disolve first in ethanol and later in
propilenglicol and is a great change, now i use two because
the irrritation using propylenglicol only is high

excuse my english

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
larry27 said:
the solubility of DIM is better if you add propylenglicol

i use ethanol, propylenglicol an destilled water

i tryed to disolve first in ethanol and later in
propilenglicol and is a great change, now i use two because
the irrritation using propylenglicol only is high

excuse my english

good stuff Larry!.. How long you have been doing topical DIM? What is your recipe?

Fred

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My experience greatly echoes el_duterino's. I'm conflicted about oral and topical DIM now.

On one hand, while using DIM, I experienced a MAJOR shed... as a diffuse thinner, I have never experienced a true 'shed' on any regimen, program, or medication. And I'm talking about thick hairs with huge bulbs. You could see my scalp for the first time in almost two years. I also developed acne for the first time in ten years, especially on my forehead.

However, as a life-long weightlifter, I finally lost some extremely stubborn body fat around my waist and my face has slimmed noticeably. Lately friends and family have been mentioning how much younger I look. I also had some rock hard and prolonged erections during my DIM experience.

I believe oral DIM has low bioavailability before being dissolved in olive oil with some bioperine and orotic acid, along with choline. So perhaps, I started out with too high a dosage. I will decrease the amount and continue taking DIM orally. Topically, I decided to wait a little longer before experimenting again with such a powerful anti-androgen.... and DIM really is THAT powerful when administered correctly.

el_duterino

Reaction score
I dont think that DIM is such a powerful anti androgen and I am convinced that it is quite negative for hair growth.

Anti-androgens will lower libido if they are strong.
DIM seems to have a powerful effect at raising libido..therefore it sells well to the older men crowd..nice effect to have but..

My shedding of all these thick and healthy hair in one day was quite scary..never had that before on any drugs or when drugs stopped being effective.
Shedding stopped as soon as I went off DIM and switched back to RU.

I'd stay away from DIM if you have male pattern baldness...whether orally or topically.