Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

Reaction score
I hate to keep spamming this thread with questions about vehicles but I have another. I dont really like ordering stuff online and I cant seem to find ethanol or propylene glycol anywhere.. Could i substitute the ethanol with rubbing alcohol (something around 140 proof??) and then just not add propylene glycol?? Thanks guys.

Try a stiff vodka, that will do the trick.

cuprous

Reaction score
Hi guys, another lurker, first time poster. First off, I really tip my hat to you guys for your tenacity and research. It's nothing short of impressive. That written, I do hope that in the back of your heads (pun?) you know you can be happy with or without all of your hair.

I have 100 tablets of cet due to arrive tomorrow and am looking forward to joining the experiment. I will diligently document progress and am planning to only apply it to one temple.

I was wondering why the default approach seems to be removing the water above the filler and not just pouring the whole mess into a coffee filter? Wouldn't that give you more bang for your buck? I do know that coffee filters can absorb things like cafestol in coffee (which raises cholesterol). Perhaps it would retain cet? Just thought I'd throw this out there.

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with itching?

I'm super psyched about the certrizine developments here. Has anyone had any issued with itching? I've read that people who take it internally for long periods of time and then try to stop have terrible itching withdrawal that just doesn't seem to go away even after weeks of being off it. I'm a little nervous about that.

http://www.google.com/search?hair l...=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep spamming this thread with questions about vehicles but I have another. I dont really like ordering stuff online and I cant seem to find ethanol or propylene glycol anywhere.. Could i substitute the ethanol with rubbing alcohol (something around 140 proof??) and then just not add propylene glycol?? Thanks guys.

Ethanol is just a fancy name for drinking alcohol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol so unless you're in a part
of the world without alcohol (or under 21) then it should be as close as your liquor store in the form of Everclear 190
proof. I got my PG from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Propylene-Gly...d=1353003779&sr=8-2&keywords=propylene+glycol You do not want to use rubbing alcohol.

That said, I used plain tap water/cet for my first 60 days and got results.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys, another lurker, first time poster. First off, I really tip my hat to you guys for your tenacity and research. It's nothing short of impressive. That written, I do hope that in the back of your heads (pun?) you know you can be happy with or without all of your hair.

I have 100 tablets of cet due to arrive tomorrow and am looking forward to joining the experiment. I will diligently document progress and am planning to only apply it to one temple.

I was wondering why the default approach seems to be removing the water above the filler and not just pouring the whole mess into a coffee filter? Wouldn't that give you more bang for your buck? I do know that coffee filters can absorb things like cafestol in coffee (which raises cholesterol). Perhaps it would retain cet? Just thought I'd throw this out there.

I used a cotton ball in a funnel, worked well. As cheap as Cet is ($18 for 6 month supply) I'm not worried about every drop of mixture.

klifka

Reaction score
cetirizine vehicle

Got a bit lost on google today and bumped into this post, as anytime I find a new 'cure' for my balding head I get really excited at first, but one has to remain skeptical at the same time. This cetirizine thing however, seems like a good story, virtually no adverse effects and good science behind it. So I think I'll give it a go.
Now it gets interesting:
Let me add some basic chemistry to the equation: I found on google the water solubility of cetirizine is 100 mg/L (see http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00341, very legit source!). That is 0.1 mg per mL.
As I understand it the 'german recipe' dissolves 50 pills (=500 mg) on 50 mL, and then separates the solution from what remains at the bottom (eg the precipitate).
This 50 mL will contain 5 mg of CET, the remaining 495 (!) mg will be on the bottom with the so called 'fillers' of the pill.
Seems like quite a waste :/.
Unlike what is stated here sometimes, alcohol/PG will almost certainly be a better solvent, so for the guys who want to get the most out of this add this stuff to your minoxidil or smth.
Actually, if the positive effects most (?) people are seeing are real, this is good news, it means that this extremely low concentration has significant effects. If it works it works... But I wouldn't keep popping 50 pills in, half a pill will give identical results.

Reaction score
Ethanol is just a fancy name for drinking alcohol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol so unless you're in a part
of the world without alcohol (or under 21) then it should be as close as your liquor store in the form of Everclear 190
proof. I got my PG from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Propylene-Gly...d=1353003779&sr=8-2&keywords=propylene+glycol You do not want to use rubbing alcohol.

That said, I used plain tap water/cet for my first 60 days and got results.

- - - Updated - - -

I used a cotton ball in a funnel, worked well. As cheap as Cet is ($18 for 6 month supply) I'm not worried about every drop of mixture.

Do you get your Cet online?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any news guys reporting some improvement ?

As I mentioned earlier CET was associated (will not say caused) halt of shed and substantial reduction in itch. I was skeptical so I stopped it for a week to see if shedding will go back.
Today itching was back (after several days --weird?) and i do notice increase shedding although didn t go back to where it was..

I went back on CET 5 mins ago

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score

This is exactly what I did. I went to a local supermarket and purchased natural, unbleached coffee filters. They're dirt cheap. I placed the coffee filter in an appropiately sized funnel that fits in the top of my bottle and pour the Cet in. The coffee filter does an awesome job of catching the filler material. Currently I am using 90 Cet tablets in about 3 ounces of distilled water.

orez

Reaction score
hi guys, anyone else experiencing painful pimples from cet? just curious, i developed around 5 big ones. not shedding , but it seems my hair is feeling stronger & my scalp darker.

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
wanted to ask you guys if its worth experimenting with this w/o minoxidil,
i am severely allergic to minoxidil so thats not an option
thanks

theoldsole

Reaction score
This got buried earlier but really deserves a read

This is a study on topical delivery of cetirizine that is full of useful information http://www.aapsj.org/view.asp?art=aapsj060318 It's about rabbits but it deals specifically with the question of delivery of cetirizine to skin while minimizing systemic absorption. Well worth a read.

I think the main point to take away is that that amount of cetirizine that ends up in the skin and how much ends up in the bloodstream varies greatly by delivery method. I think most people here would agree the goal is to maximize skin absorption while minimizing systemic. They found some good methods in that study but the manufacturing techniques are difficult and expensive. Anybody have any ideas for a cheap way to approximate what they've done?

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's pimples or not but I have some bumps on my temple where I have applied the Cet. I'll give it a bit of time to see if it will clear up, if it won't I will drop Cet and wait for more results before thinking of starting it again.

baldnesssadness

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's pimples or not but I have some bumps on my temple where I have applied the Cet. I'll give it a bit of time to see if it will clear up, if it won't I will drop Cet and wait for more results before thinking of starting it again.

how much proplene glycol did you use? if you used to much of that you it can be to harsh for the skin. Thats why i use vodka mixed together with minoxidil , does the red bumps irrate or itch? if thats so then it could be too much pg.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
how much proplene glycol did you use? if you used to much of that you it can be to harsh for the skin. Thats why i use vodka mixed together with minoxidil , does the red bumps irrate or itch? if thats so then it could be too much pg.

PPG drives me nuts...I haven't had any irritation at all using Grey Goose vodka...

afro

Reaction score
Recently started coming back to this forum as over the last 6 months or so i've fallen behind with my results from Dutasteride (simply as a result of forgetting to take it).
While i'd love to take part in one of these experiments, i've recently started to motivate myself to start taking dutasteride at least every other day again, but I'll continue to monitor how this (cet) is doing and possibly include it in my Minoxidil at some point if there's positive evidence - at the moment there's little point as I wouldn't know whether it'd be the dutasteride (which gave me amazing results while I remembered to take it) or the Cet

tedlin01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have been busy running several other experiments lately and have not been following up on this. How is it going? Do anyone have before and after pictures? I read that some people is applying it locally just with water. Water isn't a very good vehicle now, is it? Have anyone tried injecting it with BAC water? Should I jump on this train? I have injection needles and are willing to try this but I have to wait a couple of months as I just started experimenting with injecting IGF-1.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I'm using desitiled water only. It doesn't hurt and I only noticed them for the first time yesterday or the day before.