Top Of Scalp Thinning On Finasteride (pics)?

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any opinions on this? First pic is hair parted down the middle. Second is mid scalp parted horizontally. There is less density all over the scalp. I could basically make the same parts anywhere and would get the same type of picture. The hairs are thick on one end and appear narrow at the root. This started to really express itself in month 4 of finasteride and has continued into month 5. Hairline continues to recede slowly but I’m not sure if that’s even my biggest problem anymore.

Attachments

• 62213CC6-ACA5-4DFE-8712-C4AE879334FB.jpeg
    62213CC6-ACA5-4DFE-8712-C4AE879334FB.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 9228AA74-5F23-406C-A71D-35A57D296263.jpeg
    9228AA74-5F23-406C-A71D-35A57D296263.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 708

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see ZERO hair loss...
Thanks for the response. I have receded at least 2 inches at the temples in the last 6 months and I’m now thinning at the vertex...there is no question about that. Overall hair density has decreased without a doubt but I guess good to know that it doesn’t look like it’s thinning in pictures. All hair appears to be thick on the ends and thin at the shaft. When my hair is even slightly damp you can see the damage underneath. It was not like this 6 months ago. Or even 3 months ago. Even wet you could not see this much scalp underneath.

Attachments

• 48B5F213-167F-41F3-8AFB-6ED9A26B6B15.jpeg
    48B5F213-167F-41F3-8AFB-6ED9A26B6B15.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 905
  • 8044F4C8-9E73-4F64-9F66-A241D2C309F6.jpeg
    8044F4C8-9E73-4F64-9F66-A241D2C309F6.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 625
  • 24F38743-16B6-4725-8A05-C616BBB4A8EA.jpeg
    24F38743-16B6-4725-8A05-C616BBB4A8EA.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 679

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How old again?
I’m 46 and I’ve had areata since my early twenties. I’ve been battling hair loss for over 20 years. I’ve also got an identical twin brother with no hair loss issues - neither AA or Androgenetic Alopecia - so I’d rather not hear how “lucky” I am. I’ve been decidedly unlucky. I just want to understand what’s happening to me because this all started on the heels of a bad AA attack earlier this year and it seems to have accelerated since starting finasteride. I’m just looking for support and answers like everyone else here.

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you diagnosed of Androgenetic Alopecia? Finas can disturb a healthy hair cycle, IMO it is not a preventive method and most people here dream with your actual hair, me included

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you diagnosed of Androgenetic Alopecia? Finas can disturb a healthy hair cycle, IMO it is not a preventive method and most people here dream with your actual hair, me included
That’s the million dollar question for me. It was diagnosed as Androgenetic Alopecia by two different dermatologists and my general doctor. I had two different rounds of blood work done showing none of the common underlying mefical issues related to hair loss. When I started treatment I had receded rapidly at the temples in a span of 6 weeks. I started finasteride to try to stop the sudden onset of hair loss at the temples. Since starting Finas my hairline started to thin. Then my forelock started thinning. Then the mid scalp and vertex. I don’t know if my doctors misdiagnosed me or if I’m having a normal shedding response or an abnormal adverse reaction. I’ve got an appointment with yet another dermatologist in January but I’m not overly optimistic that answers are forthcoming. I understand that my hair is still in relatively good shape and I wear it long on top so it’s pretty covered for now. But it’s worse than it was 2 weeks ago. Which was worse than the 2 weeks prior to that and so on for the last 5 months now. Plus since I’m a twin I have to see a carbon copy of myself walking around with no thinning at all as a constant reminder of what I used to look like. It would be great if one dr could tell me this was connected to my AA autoimmune disorder but so far they’ve all said that this is a coincidence and that finasteride and minoxidil are the solution. I’m not so sure.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How they did the diagnostic? A tricho analysis?
I wish. I have not yet had anyone perform even a scalp biopsy. All 3 drs concluded Androgenetic Alopecia based on observation and blood work. I have been seeing a dermatologist once a month since April to resolve an AA bald patch on the back on my head (steroid injections). That has now almost entirely regrown. I have no reason to believe this is not Androgenetic Alopecia especially since it started on the temples. But I’m more convinced than ever that there is an underlying immune issue which is not being addressed by DHT blocking medication.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At 46 you must have a lot of hairs affected by dht. When you start finasteride those hairs get kicked, you’ve read it here a thousand times. It’s happening to me right now.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At 46 you must have a lot of hairs affected by dht. When you start finasteride those hairs get kicked, you’ve read it here a thousand times. It’s happening to me right now.
So what do I do? Should I get my DHT levels checked? Should I stay on Finasteride or drop it (or will that just make things even worse)?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
MK thanks for sharing your story. I’m going through a similar thing since beginning Finasteride 4 months ago.

My thinning started abrupt 39 with zero loss until a Telogen Effluvium crushed my density.

On Finasteride the hairline temples and forelock that had not been thinning at all have lost denisity and receeded. I’m not sure if so should stop or keep going? I am having mental sides.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@MKP05 I wish I knew the answer to that myself. I've been shedding for over 6 months now, although it's slowed down now. Same as you, temples, forelock, mid scalp, vertex. in that order. I've been slowly thinning for about 5 years, so I guess that makes sense.
I've started to see some of the shed hairs growing back, but they're not terminal.
I'd say stay on course, I believe this is going to be a long process.
I nearly quit last month so I know how you're feeling. I ended up taking a week off.

@bluecyclone I'd say the same to you too, but then again, if you're having mental sides...
That week off I just had helped with my lower libido - my morning wood is back! You could try taking a week off. Possibly back on at a lower dose.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@MKP05 I wish I knew the answer to that myself. I've been shedding for over 6 months now, although it's slowed down now. Same as you, temples, forelock, mid scalp, vertex. in that order. I've been slowly thinning for about 5 years, so I guess that makes sense.
I've started to see some of the shed hairs growing back, but they're not terminal.
I'd say stay on course, I believe this is going to be a long process.
I nearly quit last month so I know how you're feeling. I ended up taking a week off.

@bluecyclone I'd say the same to you too, but then again, if you're having mental sides...
That week off I just had helped with my lower libido - my morning wood is back! You could try taking a week off. Possibly back on at a lower dose.
Yeah. I know I need to keep going another 6 months at least to see what happens. A newer development in the last 2 weeks or so is that I’m shedding really short hairs about 1/3 the length of my hair. Not sure if that means I had regrowth which has fallen and will regrow again.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks beautiful, especially at 46.
Thanks man. I wish I could convey how drastically it has changed in the last 6 months. My hair was super thick so even though I’ve lost density it’s still looks ok. But I know where this is heading and it thins out more each week.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@MKP05 AT LEAST 6 months, and probably much longer in my opinion. You know, when I first started shedding, I was constantly reading "the hairs will grow back in three months, and grow back thicker" Fairly tales. I was waiting for the chuck Norris of hairs to burst though my scalp! And waiting, and waiting... When it didn't happen I panicked. That's probably why a lot of other people throw in the towel too soon.
I wouldn't get caught up looking for regrowth(I know it's hard) I spent hours taking pictures of my scalp with the flash, I couldn't see any new hairs, but now my hair is starting to look better. Patience is key. Good luck.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn I really hope this turns around. With topical Finasteride it still might be a little hit or miss.

Since starting I would have probably had better results with lighter fluid and a match as far as diffusing.