Took The Nuclear Option. Slowly, Slowly It Paid Off.

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
History:

Started receding at 16. By 18 I was NWII. Used Rogaine.
At age 21 I was officially NWIII.
Jumped on propecia as I was turning 22.

Hair was at its worst when I was 23. Total disaster. This is what you can see in my profile picture.

Unfortunately, all the photos I uploaded from 2013/2014 are gone. I had several albums of my hair as NWIII. But the software platform changed and my photos are all gone. (Maybe it's good I forget what I looked like.) However, my profile picture is still clear and gives an accurate depiction.

I ditched propecia after 9 months and went on dutasteride. Then I said, f--- it. I'm going nuclear. I got RU58841 and nizoral. I got a dermaroller.

For two years I took dutasteride, rolled for absorption. Applied RU58841 once or twice a day. Shampooed with nizoral every other night. Used rogaine liberally, once or twice a day.

Two years.

I thought I was stuck as NWIII for life. Crossed my fingers that I just wouldn't lose another hair. My grandfather was NW6/7.

Then, in 2015, not only did it thicken up, but my temples actually filled in.

I am so utterly thankful for these medications as I would be doomed without them. I am 100% satisfied with my decision to use everything at my disposal.

Now my hair is almost back to where it was when I graduated high school.

I sporadically shed and thin out every several months. But it grown back in thicker.

Attachments

• IMG_2184.png
    IMG_2184.png
    741.6 KB · Views: 7,344
  • IMG_2183.png
    IMG_2183.png
    819.2 KB · Views: 6,811
  • IMG_2182.png
    IMG_2182.png
    770.7 KB · Views: 6,990
Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Remarkable. So, it took two years of Dutasteride and RU for you to go from your profile picture to the pictures you just uploaded? That's really interesting - I wouldn't think that after a year one could expect any further improvements.

You guys with no side effects from such powerful meds are really lucky though - I'll give you that.

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Remarkable. So, it took two years of Dutasteride and RU for you to go from your profile picture to the pictures you just uploaded? That's really interesting - I wouldn't think that after a year one could expect any further improvements.

You guys with no side effects from such powerful meds are really lucky though - I'll give you that.

Exactly. I stuck with it because I had no other hope. My genetic fate is NW6. I was hoping for maintenance at best.

But yea, one year of nothing but maintenance. Then another year of slow progressive regrowth.

I'm hoping my temples will even fill in more.

Moral of the story: stick with it, especially if ur young. Never know how resilient your young follicles are.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly. I stuck with it because I had no other hope. My genetic fate is NW6. I was hoping for maintenance at best.

But yea, one year of nothing but maintenance. Then another year of slow progressive regrowth.

I'm hoping my temples will even fill in more.

Moral of the story: stick with it, especially if ur young. Never know how resilient your young follicles are.

how long were you on propecia? it made your hair worst? Did you get any scalp inflammation from either finasteride or dutasteride?? like burning, itching, etc... if so, did it subside? thanks man. amazing results! you look great.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
great result ! So you started propecia at Norwood 3? did propecia at least maitain your Norwood 3?
You got regrowth on duta ? No sides with duta ( gyno , etc ..)?

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
you have got some regrowth on bald areas ?

Yes my temples have absolutely filled in some where they were once visibly bald
how long were you on propecia? it made your hair worst? Did you get any scalp inflammation from either finasteride or dutasteride?? like burning, itching, etc... if so, did it subside? thanks man. amazing results! you look great.

I feel that propecia stopped the loss. However, I would have had to stay on it for years to find out. I didn't wanna take that chance. Wasn't seeing regrowth.

No noticeable sides.

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
you have got some regrowth on bald areas ?

Yes. My temples have filled in some. Smaller hairs have shown up that weren't visible before.

The temple area above the crinkle of my forehead used to be a lot balder.

Attachments

• IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,947

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
great result ! So you started propecia at Norwood 3? did propecia at least maitain your Norwood 3?
You got regrowth on duta ? No sides with duta ( gyno , etc ..)?

I'm sure dutasteride helped with the regrowth. But it's impossible to tell to what extent as I was on 4 things.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great story. If I ever find myself actively balding again I will likely be hopping on a similar regimen

@Guzam take note

aexit

My Regimen
Reaction score
U dermarolled and then applied RU ? how many times were u dermarolling per week? always before applying RU or what

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sh*t man, that's great improvement, congrats. This gave me some hope, i'm more or less on the same regimen except with finasteride instead of dutasteride, I'm just now starting to see some (very) small results after almost a year and a half of finasteride by itself, and 3-4 months of being consistent with minoxidil/RU.

How often do you dermaroll? I thought dermarolling every day was extreme, but i've started doing it recently, every night after washing my hair, and right before I apply my RU/minoxidil mix to hopefully increase absorption, rather than for wounding as a lot of people do.

Edit: I thought rubbing alcohol was a bad vehicle for RU? Wouldn't it irritate your scalp as well

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
Awesome bro.

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
U dermarolled and then applied RU ? how many times were u dermarolling per week? always before applying RU or what

I used and still use RU once every day. I roll for absorption only. That means no bleeding. I used a 0.5 mm, although anything larger would do as well. I use light pressure to penetrate the outer layers of the skin. Then I immediately cover with RU.

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
sh*t man, that's great improvement, congrats. This gave me some hope, i'm more or less on the same regimen except with finasteride instead of dutasteride, I'm just now starting to see some (very) small results after almost a year and a half of finasteride by itself, and 3-4 months of being consistent with minoxidil/RU.

How often do you dermaroll? I thought dermarolling every day was extreme, but i've started doing it recently, every night after washing my hair, and right before I apply my RU/minoxidil mix to hopefully increase absorption, rather than for wounding as a lot of people do.

Edit: I thought rubbing alcohol was a bad vehicle for RU? Wouldn't it irritate your scalp as well

Yea I roll everyday before I apply RU. I go light so that my skin isn't irritated that badly. No wounding. Just absorption.

Rubbing Alcohol probably isn't best but I used it since I was feeling kind of cheap. It didn't cause me any problems.

aexit

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used and still use RU once every day. I roll for absorption only. That means no bleeding. I used a 0.5 mm, although anything larger would do as well. I use light pressure to penetrate the outer layers of the skin. Then I immediately cover with RU.
So wait, you used RU every day before rolling and rolled every single day for 2 years, what about minoxidil? when did you apply it? what would be the best thing to do.. like I dermaroll in the morning and apply 2ml of RU and at night 2ml of minoxidil dermarolling as well? or what did you do to use both in the same day, Im about to just use everything all day long , imma do like u but i wanna know whats the best move here