Too much carbohydrates leads to hair loss?

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Mjotter said:
purecontrol said:
Mjotter said:
So what do you do? I've been on this diet for about...4 weeks now and my hair hasn't improved much but I'm going to continue it. What kind of diet do you eat and what changes did you make to your lifestyle?

You are going to need a lot longer than 4 weeks.

1) Basicly the diet is to not eat anything that causes inflamtion, bread is out, all dairy is out, anything with hydrogenated oils is out, high fat is out, things that raise histamine is out. One thing to consider would be an allergy test to see what else you should avoid.

2) is sleep, sleep optimised when you do not eat 1-2hrs before, when in total pitch black, and if you can get to bed ~9:00pm you drasticly lower your cortisol levels, lower testosterone levels, lower insulin levels, raise anti-oxidant levels etc.

3) consume anti-inflammatories, ie krill oil, fish oil, EPOil (GLA), Curcumin, bromelain, resveratrol, grape seed, mangosteen

4) consume anti-oxidants ect, ie full spectrum vit. E, vit. D, SOD,

5) use methlated folate to fight high histamine levels, acts as a COX-2 inhibitor

You would not take all of those as many are redundant, however if you can lower you inflamation and thus oxidation levels you greatly lower your chances for hair loss and increase your chances of hair growth.

Damn I don't think I can do all of that. I already have a pretty hard time eating a sufficient amount of calories with this diet and it's tough for me to find things to eat which is not good since I'm skinny. I think I'll hold off on most of the bad foods but I'm not going to completely eliminate them from my diet...probably just eat in moderation. I don't think I can go to sleep at 9 pm, I'll try but I don't think it's likely for me to do. I consume fish oil and vitamin packs everyday and I'll try exercising more to lower testosterone. Thanks for the information, it gives me motivation to keep going.

I am the same way. You can still consume fat, you just want to do it away from high glycemic carbs. And you can still eat simple carbs after your workout, the rules are bit different depending on you genetics ie skinny/fat.

Don't consume "vitamin packs" If you are high histamine chances are you are skinny, and have a hard time putting on weight. If you consume folate and other b-vitamins you could be making your problem worse. You end up with high levels of CRP.

Try out some methylated folate.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
I too have followed an anti-inflammation type diet for the last little bit. Actually its more of a Paleo(caveman) type diet, while ive experienced better energy levels, mood and clearer skin I havent seen any improvment when it comes to hair.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
The dietary change I'm referring to in my signature has to do with a gluten intolerance (estimated to affect at least 15% of the general population). By "cured" I guess I should more accurately state that I "stopped" the hair loss. So far regrowth has been very minimal but I did notice a slight thickening on top within about 2 months of starting the diet. Itching reduced on a similar time frame but seems to be much more associated with my carb consumption than with any gluten consumption. The biggest improvement on hair quality (not so much quantity) started showing up around the 7 month mark.

Dietary issues can have both immediate and chronic effects and so it can take quite a while to see the full benefit of preventing those issues. A lot of the gluten intolerant people I've talked to who had an improvement in their hair as a result of removing gluten didn't see full results until about a year after! As with any dietary problem though things like hair loss or bad skin (acne) are really just minor annoyances in comparison to the havoc they wreak on your internal organs (heart/liver/pancreas/brain).

Mjotter

Established Member
Reaction score
purecontrol said:
I am the same way. You can still consume fat, you just want to do it away from high glycemic carbs. And you can still eat simple carbs after your workout, the rules are bit different depending on you genetics ie skinny/fat.

Don't consume "vitamin packs" If you are high histamine chances are you are skinny, and have a hard time putting on weight. If you consume folate and other b-vitamins you could be making your problem worse. You end up with high levels of CRP.

Should I really not consume vitamin packs? I am skinny and have a hard time putting on weight...I've been trying to get over 140 for about a year or two. I always have situations where I read something that suggest one thing to be good for you but then I come across another piece of information that contradicts what I previously read, just like with whole grains.

I've noticed my belly has thinned down and my abs are starting to come out. I've always had a somewhat fit upper ab region with the lower region having nothing due to my belly. I also ate rice the other day because I thought it would be okay for once in a while but I noticed my belly began to feel bloated. Made me realized that I used to feel that way many times in the past when I ate food.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Your body is a lot more useful of a tool than any generalized scientific study. If you don't feel good after eating something then it's probably not healthy for you to consume. At that point who cares what that item may do for someone else's health in a study, you're eating for you. oh and f&ck grains, the whole lot of em.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Mjotter said:
purecontrol said:

Should I really not consume vitamin packs? I am skinny and have a hard time putting on weight...I've been trying to get over 140 for about a year or two. I always have situations where I read something that suggest one thing to be good for you but then I come across another piece of information that contradicts what I previously read, just like with whole grains.

I've noticed my belly has thinned down and my abs are starting to come out. I've always had a somewhat fit upper ab region with the lower region having nothing due to my belly. I also ate rice the other day because I thought it would be okay for once in a while but I noticed my belly began to feel bloated. Made me realized that I used to feel that way many times in the past when I ate food.

By the methylated folate, it is cheap, lowers histamine, and will help you put on weight.

If you raise your histamine levels you will get skinnier.

Mjotter

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair feels like it's falling out more now and the quality of it is turning to sh*t. I also believe my hairline went back about a tenth of an inch in the past couple of weeks. Can someone give me an example of a good diet they eat? I'm not sure if I am consuming too much fat, vitamins, sugars or w/e.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Mjotter said:
My hair feels like it's falling out more now and the quality of it is turning to sh*t. I also believe my hairline went back about a tenth of an inch in the past couple of weeks. Can someone give me an example of a good diet they eat?

Is this decrease of hair quality coupled with an increase in dandruff or scalp itching (ie: possible herxheimer reaction)?

My diet is semi-similar to that found at http://www.marksdailyapple.com. That type of eating is guaranteed to completely rid you of your carb belly! As far as hair loss goes, as I stated above you do have to give dietary changes a while to work especially if you were previously deficient in any nutrients. It takes a while to restock the body's supplies, correct metabolic preferences and readjust hormonal imbalances. Alternatively however there are people for whom their hair loss is so aggressive that a dietary change will only have a minimal effect at best. No two people respond to any treatment alike :( .

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
I have also gone "low carb" in that the entirety of my carb intake is now from vegatables and fruits alone. First I eliminated wheat by going "gluten free" and then I made the jump to lightspeed altogether.

Feels awesome!

Here's your diet:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whatto ... id1-IG.htm

and here's a real eye opening blog about the dangers of wheat/grain consumption: www.heartscanblog.com

Did you know that eating a bowl of oatmeal is worse than eating a snickers bar? Bet you didn't.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
It's somewhat hard to make direct comparisons across items with different types of sugars. Yes oatmeal has a higher glycemic index score than a snickers bar, however it's only slightly higher and the snickers bar contains fructose while the oatmeal wouldn't (until you top it off with some melted brown sugar mmmm). While it hits you slightly differently than glucose, fructose is the one that's linked to fatty liver and liver scarring.

Overall it's normally just best to use net carb content when looking at carb sources instead of glycemic index. Net carb content= total carb-dietary fiber.

wth: your second link to the blog doesn't work. Unless you meant another blog out there the correct link is: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/, while another good one to look at as far as blogs go is: http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/.

Edit: apparently the marksdailyapple.com site just released a user generated low carb/paleo cookbook that's available for anyone who registers with the site (it's free). Skimming over it, looks like most of the recipes are of decent quality and are easily approachable for those of most skill levels in the kitchen. Wouldn't be bad to pick up if you're finding the low carb transition to be awkward.

Mjotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses/information guys. I don't really notice an increase in dandruff, I shampoo about 1-3 times a week now since I heard the chemicals in most shampoos can be bad for your hair. The area around my hairline has been itching a bit recently but it's not uncontrollably itchy and only occurs once or twice a day for a few seconds. Based on the links, it looks like dairy products are fine to eat but someone suggested to remove dairy from the diet so can anyone confirm this? I signed up for mark's daily apple and I'll look into it some more when I'm not too tired.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if scalp massages do anything for hair loss?

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Dairy can potentially cause yeast issues or autoimmune reactions if you are intolerant/allergic to the casein protein in it. Both of these will result in itching at various points on the body most noticeably on the scalp. Additionally dairy does have the potential to slightly alter hormonal levels especially if you are consuming rBGH treated dairy.

Is dairy bad for everyone? No. Is dairy bad for you? Unknown. Your best bet for figuring this out is to go overboard on your dairy consumption for a week or so and then to completely drop dairy from your diet for a few weeks and observe any sort of changes that potentially occur. Supposedly some people have less dietary issues with unpasteurized milk which is becoming increasingly available in most areas of the country.

No clue on the scalp massage, supposedly there's not any blood flow increase needed on the scalp. The only way I could see it being a factor is potentially in the holistic theory of lymphatic drainage massage but I think the research results on that are mixed so far. The scalp massage would potentially help clear the tissues of toxin build up from mycotoxins produced by the infection that Nizoral is supposed to clear and also get some inflammatory immune markers moving again as the top of the head (the male pattern baldness area) is less covered by the lymph system as the rest of your head. Of course alternatively the sole act of touching your skin has an analgesic reaction to most pains as it inhibits pain sensory transmission.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, some random paper, read full results section conclusion section's for wimps.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/5/1120.full
...excerpt from conclusion section:

"In conclusion, type 1 diabetes is associated with increased SHBG; normal TT, LH, and FSH concentrations; and normal FT and calculated FT concentrations in >90% of patients. In contrast, type 2 diabetic patients have frequent hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism and low SHBG concentrations. A higher BMI has a significant effect on calculated FT and FT in both patients with type 1 as well as in those with type 2 diabetes. This suggests that at higher levels of BMI, even type 1 diabetic subjects, may develop hypogonadism."

(T)otal (T)estosterone / (L)eutinizing (H)ormone / (F)ollicle-(S)timulating (H)ormone / (F)ree (T)estosterone

and no, not that type of follicle

Mjotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay I've gone about 2 months on this diet and here are the results so far. I can see the little baby hairs around where my hairline should be getting thicker but I'm not sure if this can be attributed to my diet since there are other factors like my Rogaine usage. I also don't know if it's just my hair strands miniaturizing or what, I'll have to take some measurements. The hairs at my forehead still feel a bit thin compared to the hairs in the back. The fat around my belly has gone away for the most part, it sometimes still bloat up after eating certain foods.

Another thing I noticed was an increase of acne with intake of dairy. I began drinking a glass of milk a day and eating some cheese and pimples starting to form but when I stopped eating dairy, no additional pimples showed. My diet has become less strict than it was when I first started but I still keep out as many carbs and junk as I can. I'll be continuing this diet for a while, I'll report back if I see any improvements or negative changes in the future.

Mjotter

Established Member
Reaction score
I've gone just about 3 months on this diet, even though these last few weeks I've been making many exceptions to the food I eat. My results are similar to my last post, my hairline looks like it has gotten worse but the vellus hairs around it have gotten thicker. I quit using Rogaine a while ago so I know the thickening of the vellus hairs is due to something else. I will be continuing my regime for a while and post back results or any further loss so expect to see this topic a few times within this year.

CCS

Reaction score
Dr Mercola does not eat carbs, and he is very bald. I know someone who eats tons of sugar, and has a perfect NW1.

Its genetics. Your best bet is to alter the hormones and whatever else they cause.

Mjotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Well my first goal was to eliminate carbs but this has evolved to just eating a healthy diet. I'm still limiting the amount of carbs I eat but I am starting to eat a lot of healthy foods for probably the first time in my life...before this I rarely ate healthy or exercised but now I'm taking it serious. Though I'm sure baldness is due to hormones, I believe life style choices have a big part in it either mentally or physically. I'm trying to eliminate the sources of my life that would accelerate my baldness such as stress or a bad diet...my hairline seems to have been receding ever since I was 14 which is also when I've been put under a great deal of emotional stress which has just recently begun to decrease a couple of months ago. In addition to this, as a younger brother of two, it's strange to see my older brothers and maybe even my father with a better hairline than me. Also I am fairly young so I believe it is still possible for some regrowth as the hairs take a while to completely die out as compared to Dr. Mercola.

Hoppi

Reaction score
CCS said:
Dr Mercola does not eat carbs, and he is very bald. I know someone who eats tons of sugar, and has a perfect NW1.

Its genetics. Your best bet is to alter the hormones and whatever else they cause.

Do you still think male pattern baldness is just purely genetics CCS?

I completely disagree! lol :)

mr.hairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read articles about how having a high level of insulin can lead to hair loss. You get high levels of insulin from eating foods high in carbs and drinking alcohol. The symptoms include having a big belly from all the sugar build-up, fatigue, poor memory, increased blood pressure, and more. I basically have all of these symptoms including the big belly even though I'm skinny. I also read that having insulin resistance would lead to early male pattern baldness which I also have as well since I'm 18. I've gone a couple weeks without eating carbs or whole grains and I see improvements in my skin, energy levels, excess fat, but nothing yet on hair. I've also been exercising and eating more healthy. I'll continue this regime for a while since I'm already getting extra benefits although my main goal is to see if there will be any positive effects on my hair.

Here are some articles:
http://www.drmirkin.com/men/8842.html

http://www.diabitieslife.com/diabetes/d ... mptoms.htm
hey yes you are somewhat right .. it happened to me also but not any improvement in hairs because we have only targeted one cause i guess there's 3 to 4 causes but all are in starting relating to this cause that we have eaten before lots of carbs and damaged our liver which in turn cause different problems ... as i know hair loss is a symptom of an underlying disease not a disease itself . so yes you have targeted one major reason of hair loss ..cure your liver and small intestines and you have cured half of your hair loss then after i will tell you how to regrow hairs also as higher estrogen levels and inflammation is caused by liver and small intestine problem ..and continue to be on low carb diet