Too Late For Meds Or Not? Advice Needed !

Calum

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi every1 just hoping for some advice. Been balding for 2-3 years, was advised by everyone to accept and embrace it so never got on finasteride or any meds.

Lately beginning to dislike it more due to the thinning reaching a point where it sometimes looks horse-shoe bald in certain light.

Anyone reckon it's too late to get on meds or not? Seeing as I've lost a fair bit

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_20180410_124102__01.jpg
    IMG_20180410_124102__01.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_20180410_124036__01.jpg
    IMG_20180410_124036__01.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_20180410_124027__01.jpg
    IMG_20180410_124027__01.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_20180410_124053__01.jpg
    IMG_20180410_124053__01.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 572

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its never too late to treat your hair loss. Given you have lost quite a bit of your hair I would suggest starting with dutasteride instead of finasteride.

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its never too late to treat your hair loss. Given you have lost quite a bit of your hair I would suggest starting with dutasteride instead of finasteride.

I strongly disagree. There is no reason to encourage this guy to make such a risky jump.

Finasteride half-life: 5-6 hours
Dutasteride half-life: 5-6 weeks

Both drugs can cause serious side effects, but dutasteride will cause those side effects and continue to wreak havoc over a much longer period of time. If he is going to go this route it is always best to start small and seek a doctor's advice.

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Calum If it's any consolation, I think you look perfectly fine with a shaved head and it suits your head shape. I wouldn't worry about it and just move on with your life. It's a lot simpler and a lot less worry. You can start on meds like finasteride if you'd like, if you want to prevent more loss, but honestly I wouldn't if it's not really bothering you that much. Just my 2¢.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I strongly disagree. There is no reason to encourage this guy to make such a risky jump.

Both drugs can cause serious side effects, but dutasteride will cause those side effects and continue to wreak havoc over a much longer period of time. If he is going to go this route it is always best to start small and seek a doctor's advice.
Being overly cautious is exactly how people end up in his situation. finasteride isn't going to do him any good as he is too far gone, very few achieve noticeable regrowth. Obviously I'm no doctor but OP is asking if its too late and of course its not although you have to be realistic when thinking about the correct treatment. dutasteride does have a higher chance of sides, that much is a no brainer but he doesn't seem to be too concerned about that. dutasteride is the best thing within reason he can use to try get some significant regrowth. My regimen is far harder than simply just dutasteride and I have zero side effects.

Last edited:

Blahhh

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say personally there’s no harm in trying meds , from your pic it just looks like your hair is receded but can’t notice the extent of loss at the crown as your hair is completely buzzed but personal opinion is if it really does bother you meds are worth a try , finasteride does help stop any further loss ,
I read so many mixed reviews of it ,
It’s something that doesn’t agree with everyone but I use it without any sides , if I hadn’t have took the scare stories so serious around 3 years ago when my hair loss got bad
I’d defo have more hair
Though I’m not saying it agrees with everyone , it varies on the individual,most importantly
Do what makes you happy

Calum

My Regimen
Reaction score

Just read up on all the sides, I don't know if it's worth the risk

@Calum If it's any consolation, I think you look perfectly fine with a shaved head and it suits your head shape. I wouldn't worry about it and just move on with your life. It's a lot simpler and a lot less worry. You can start on meds like finasteride if you'd like, if you want to prevent more loss, but honestly I wouldn't if it's not really bothering you that much. Just my 2¢.

Cheers mate, had mixed reviews so I still don't know what to make of it all !

I would say personally there’s no harm in trying meds , from your pic it just looks like your hair is receded but can’t notice the extent of loss at the crown as your hair is completely buzzed but personal opinion is if it really does bother you meds are worth a try , finasteride does help stop any further loss ,
I read so many mixed reviews of it ,
It’s something that doesn’t agree with everyone but I use it without any sides , if I hadn’t have took the scare stories so serious around 3 years ago when my hair loss got bad
I’d defo have more hair
Though I’m not saying it agrees with everyone , it varies on the individual,most importantly
Do what makes you happy

Yeah it's hard to tell because I'm blonde - ish and buzz to a 0. Temples receded loads and also noticeable thinning up top and in crown, probs NW3.5 but on the way to NW7 as that's what my family are... Exciting

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not too late dude. You still have hair follicles. I had worse than that, but now slowly seeing results 2 months into finasteride and minoxidil

Calum

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not too late dude. You still have hair follicles. I had worse than that, but now slowly seeing results 2 months into finasteride and minoxidil

Any sides? I'm so scared of the sides they sound horrendous. Such a dilemma

abcdefg

Reaction score
Its never too late. Just be realistic about the results to expect. There is a reason so many bald men out there it really cant be cured. So Dont expect to wake up and mistake yourself for brad pitt.

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any sides? I'm so scared of the sides they sound horrendous. Such a dilemma

No sides for me, as long as you take 1mg per day. Lowering the dose can lower the chance of having sides too, and a lower dose still works like 1mg AFAIK

Demersus

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s never took too late to start meds. Just don’t set your expectations too high and jump right in.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi every1 just hoping for some advice. Been balding for 2-3 years, was advised by everyone to accept and embrace it so never got on finasteride or any meds.

Lately beginning to dislike it more due to the thinning reaching a point where it sometimes looks horse-shoe bald in certain light.

Anyone reckon it's too late to get on meds or not? Seeing as I've lost a fair bit

Thanks !

You still have a chance. I would go on the highest Finasteride dose you can take, and highest Minoxidil dose
as well. That might work for you.

Calum

My Regimen
Reaction score
Reading up on all the sides has really put me off tbh, think I'm going to leave it.

Would rather just be bald than have to deal with the stress, money and hassle of those meds and possible sides !

Articom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that hair follicles die after 5 years of being inactive. If you've been balding for 2-3 years its worth a shot, but have realistic expectations. Could potentially reach a NW4 if your lucky.

Calum

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that hair follicles die after 5 years of being inactive. If you've been balding for 2-3 years its worth a shot, but have realistic expectations. Could potentially reach a NW4 if your lucky.

You reckon I'm NW5 now ?

northpole1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia should thicken miniaturised hair,add minoxidil for better results.My friend had diffuse thinning in nw7 pattern,and thicken all hair with only 0.5mg dose.But it depends,some People just respond better.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone reckon it's too late to get on meds or not?
Not too late for ''all meds''...IYKWIM;)
I'm nearly the same norwood as you are and i consider trying oral estriol combined with sexual abstinence and caffeine withdrawal and see how it goes.
Fina and minoxidil didn't work for me.

Articom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You reckon I'm NW5 now ?
Hard to tell but now that i look at it i can see your forelock. NW4, id definately try it, i went from a 4 to a thick 3 and can almost completely hide it.

Articom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Before and after

Attachments

• 20171016_150814.jpg
    20171016_150814.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 20180404_135017.jpg
    20180404_135017.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 299