To Dye Or Not To Dye Bio Hair Before Getting System

señor coconut

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently become obsessed with reading and watching videos about hair systems, and this week had a consultation with mh2go in London just to actually see what they look like and talk to some one involved in the industry.

I'm mid 30's and been shaving my head for nearly the past 10 years, so when I do finally grow enough on the back and sides for the blend I'm sure there's going to be some grey hairs, I'm just not sure how much.

The dilemma I'm thinking is I have 2 options, one is as it's a custom peice they can add some greys to match whatever grey I've got or option two is to dye my bio hair to match the piece with no greys added

There's pro's and con's to both and curious what other forum members have experienced

Noah

Reaction score
It depends what your priorities are - realism or youthfulness. If you dye your hair of course you will look younger, for a while. But it has to be done subtly and you have to know when to stop. Beyond a certain age (around 40 maybe) a guy with no grey hairs starts to scream "dye job" or even "wig", particularly if you have dark hair. By 50, your skin tone has changed too, and if you still have a full head of greyless hair it looks preposterous.

On the other hand, some grey in a hair system greatly adds to its realism and undetectability, and, particularly with an undercut style, you can within reasonable limits control how much grey you have, because it is not uncommon for sideburns and nape close-cropped nape hair to have a higher percentage of grey than the hair on the top.

As you might have guessed, my preference would be to accept the grey and get the realism.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is also the issue where home hair dyes don't create the subtle highlights and differences in color that many folks have. When I am out and about and see a guy over 40, and their hair, eyebrows, and facial hair are all the same, dark color... I can tell from 50 meters away.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your mid-30s, I'd say you could easily get away with no grey in the system and still leave the grey you've got on the sides. Actually, if you had a full head of hair, that might well be what you'd look like anyway at this age. Usually when the greys start on guys, it's really just in the temple area, not the whole head at once. You could also dye the grey if you wanted to--you're at the age where you could make almost any option work.

Assuming you choose to stay with systems, you'll have many more years to add percentages of grey.

(I concur with Noah about no grey hair after a certain age. I'm 53 and on my first system, which I didn't get to choose (long story) and it has no grey. It really does look pretty fake IMO--not because it's a system, but because the color is too solid.)

señor coconut

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your input guys, it means allot to get other people's opinions, I'm definitely leaning towards embracing any grey and hopefully adding to the realism. Also having no previous dying experience I'm happy to avoid the stress with finding the right matching product and the additional maintenance involved