To Any And All Who've Used Dermmatch Before

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased Dermmatch recently and I'm having trouble in its application.

The first time I used it was at home, a trial run to see if it was effective. I followed the instructions to the letter, wetting the applicator and using it down to the scalp. Incredibly messy business, hands covered in boot polish, shedded hairs littering the sink. I then used a hair dryer and applied my hair product to style.

At a distance, the effect was quite remarkable, it really did conceal my scalp under lighting and dramatically thicken my hairline. However, upon inspecting the hairline up close, it was obvious something had been applied, it looked as though there was hair dye at the root and on the scalp.

I've since tried a dry application on the hair only, avoiding the scalp. Very limited effect with this method.

My last attempt was a disaster. When I dab the wet applicator to the scalp as instructed, it daubs a hard splotch of it on the scalp but then there seems to be none left on the applicator. The website video doesn't help and there's a surprising dearth of Dermmatch videos on YouTube considering the age of the product.

So, how have you guys been able to successfully apply this without the need to conceal the concealer? Any tips or tricks will be most welcome here. As it stands, this product seems so close yet so far.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I purchased Dermmatch recently and I'm having trouble in its application.

The first time I used it was at home, a trial run to see if it was effective. I followed the instructions to the letter, wetting the applicator and using it down to the scalp. Incredibly messy business, hands covered in boot polish, shedded hairs littering the sink. I then used a hair dryer and applied my hair product to style.

At a distance, the effect was quite remarkable, it really did conceal my scalp under lighting and dramatically thicken my hairline. However, upon inspecting the hairline up close, it was obvious something had been applied, it looked as though there was hair dye at the root and on the scalp.

I've since tried a dry application on the hair only, avoiding the scalp. Very limited effect with this method.

My last attempt was a disaster. When I dab the wet applicator to the scalp as instructed, it daubs a hard splotch of it on the scalp but then there seems to be none left on the applicator. The website video doesn't help and there's a surprising dearth of Dermmatch videos on YouTube considering the age of the product.

So, how have you guys been able to successfully apply this without the need to conceal the concealer? Any tips or tricks will be most welcome here. As it stands, this product seems so close yet so far.
Concealers aren't that great. At close distances under light you can usually spot that someone is using a concealer especially if your hair is pretty thin. It can look good at a distance but is usually pretty noticeable up close. Best way to use dermmatch is to use a spray bottle and spray the product once or twice then gently rub your applicator on it. Then gently rub it towards the bottom of the roots. It will take time and you have to go slow. Then blow dry it, and use other product in your hair to thicken the area up. Don't use dermmatch anymore because my hair has gotten too thin and the splotches are pretty noticeable under light.

I prefer this product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRFGKCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doesn't conceal as well, but doesn't leave the splotches. If your hair isn't super thin this may be a better option. Is meant for women with thinning hair but works surprisingly well for dudes. I have medium brown hair and I like the blonde color (don't know why it says blonde, seems brown to me). Surprised more dudes don't use this (probs because no one knows about it). It works surprisingly well and is way less noticeable. Also isn't messy because you don't have to wet the applicator. It is just a dry powder.

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
Concealers aren't that great. At close distances under light you can usually spot that someone is using a concealer especially if your hair is pretty thin. It can look good at a distance but is usually pretty noticeable up close. Best way to use dermmatch is to use a spray bottle and spray the product once or twice then gently rub your applicator on it. Then gently rub it towards the bottom of the roots. It will take time and you have to go slow. Then blow dry it, and use other product in your hair to thicken the area up. Don't use dermmatch anymore because my hair has gotten too thin and the splotches are pretty noticeable under light.

It's the splotch effect which is causing the most frustration with this for sure. I'll try using the spray bottle. It also sucks how long it takes to apply. I paused during application the other day and thought to myself that this is really intended for the make up room in a TV studio before a presenter goes out on stage. Can't inspect their scalp on the TV (maybe in 4K). And yet so many swear by this as the best concealer for everyday-ish use.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's the splotch effect which is causing the most frustration with this for sure. I'll try using the spray bottle. It also sucks how long it takes to apply. I paused during application the other day and thought to myself that this is really intended for the make up room in a TV studio before a presenter goes out on stage. Can't inspect their scalp on the TV (maybe in 4K). And yet so many swear by this as the best concealer for everyday-ish use.
I'd try the other product I listed if the splotch effect is the biggest worry. It doesn't conceal as well, but it is way way less noticeable. I still look I am thinning a bit with it, but it makes the thinning look much much less severe. Also is much quicker to apply. If you are looking for a real solid hairline again then dermmatch is probably the way to go. Issue is it can be pretty noticeable under certain lighting.