Tips For Getting The Max Months Out Of A System?

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

So I've been wearing my system for almost 3 months. With the current circumstances I am trying to get the maximum amount of this system. I was told I would get at least another 2 months out of it.

So far I've been trying to avoid hair gels / waxes and just using leave in conditioner everyday to style and leaving the shampoo / conditioner untill every 2 weeks.

I was just wondering if anybody had any other tips to get a few more additional months out of a system?

Thanks in advance.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are in isolation because of the COVID-19 outbreak, remove it!

If you can't, leaving it on as long as you can between de/re actually will extend the life of it. De/re is more wear and tear than just leaving it in place.

When you do... be super careful. Don't blow dry or over-style.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are in isolation because of the COVID-19 outbreak, remove it!

If you can't, leaving it on as long as you can between de/re actually will extend the life of it. De/re is more wear and tear than just leaving it in place.

When you do... be super careful. Don't blow dry or over-style.

Hi,

Thanks for this. I plan to leave it on for 4 weeks this time (normally 3)

Is it ok for the system if I just shampoo and condition every 4 weeks when doing re-fit? I've been using leave in conditioner everyday to try and keep it in good condition.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it ok for the system if I just shampoo and condition every 4 weeks when doing re-fit? I've been using leave in conditioner everyday to try and keep it in good condition.

I, personally shampoo when it's on my head, about once a week... if I get sweaty, I will rinse it.

Noah

Reaction score
Totally agree with my man Baldbearded. If you are on your own, or with people who know you wear, take it off and wear a cap. If you have to put it on for a short while, think of using Got2BGlued instead of hairpiece adhesive.

The three big factors which cause a hair system to deteriorate are (1) sun damage; (2) over-washing; and (3) (in the case of lace units) pulling the unit off without allowing the alcohol sufficient time to break the adhesive bond. If you are stuck indoors (1) may not be too much of a problem. Don’t shampoo the unit more than once a week, and when you do shampoo always condition afterwards, but keep the conditioner off the knots and base. If you haven’t already done so, get some knot sealer and apply it to your knots, especially at the hairline and the parting (if you wear one).

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still at work at the moment (NHS) but hoping to be working from home a few days during the week, but I don't want to keep removing it as I'll still be at work some days during the week.

I will leave shampooing for a while then!

Thanks for the advice both

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still at work at the moment (NHS) but hoping to be working from home a few days during the week, but I don't want to keep removing it as I'll still be at work some days during the week.

I will leave shampooing for a while then!

Thanks for the advice both

My respect to all you folks working in healthcare right now! Stay safe.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Back2natural will make hairpiece like new again. I was about to throw away 10 months old identical pieces (5 months of wearing each then), because they had got a little bit dry and red, but then put Back2natural on them and I guess these will last until they get too thin. Can't imagine how long more then. Maybe even 0,5 year.
Hi,

If you put conditioner on every day, won't it get nasty and require washing more often? Shampooing once a month will certainly lead to a dirty and smelly hairpiece.

I shampoo once a week, only condition and rinse the other time.
(3) (in the case of lace units) pulling the unit off without allowing the alcohol sufficient time to break the adhesive bond. If you are stuck indoors (1) may not be too much of a problem. Don’t shampoo the unit more than once a week, and when you do shampoo always condition afterwards, but keep the conditioner off the knots and base. If you haven’t already done so, get some knot sealer and apply it to your knots, especially at the hairline and the parting (if you wear one).
This is why I cannot even remove my system before 3 weeks, better even later. It is stuck so strong that I cannot get it off otherwise. After 3 weeks it gets easier to remove, but still requires quite a lot work, after 4 weeks it feels normal to remove. I've removed after 2 weeks -- it was so much work and maybe even some trauma.

Should knot sealer only be used when the system is off? I've only been using it after cleaning the whole system.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I was advised to just use a good leave in conditioner for daily use / styling. You can keep applying without even rinsing if wanted as It won't cause any issues with the system.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hi,

I was advised to just use a good leave in conditioner for daily use / styling. You can keep applying without even rinsing if wanted as It won't cause any issues with the system.
Won't it make the hair look dirty, oily?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just brush mine once a day. I rarely use a leave in conditioner anymore because I heard it can loosen the knots. I do have to change the tapes in the front every week.

I talked to my supplier and they are supposed to start working again the beginning of April.

Good luck everyone

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just brush mine once a day. I rarely use a leave in conditioner anymore because I heard it can loosen the knots. I do have to change the tapes in the front every week.

I talked to my supplier and they are supposed to start working again the beginning of April.

Good luck everyone

Leave in conditioner does NOT loosen the knots because you don't soak the knots with it...