Thyroid and hairloss link??

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got some thyroid labs back from the Dr. since having my dose increased 2 months ago. I don't know what my T3 levels were then, because the Dr. didn't run them. But he did this time. My T4 levels are mid range. My TSH is almost too low, which would mean I'm getting a bit too much meds. But my T3 was out of range... too low. Does anyone know if there's a connection between low T3 and hairloss?

I'm hoping to learn all I can about it before I see the endo next week.. I sure hope this could be the cause of my hairloss... because it would be so reversable!!

Julie

vanessa

Reaction score
I am not sure about that, but a word of caution, if you are on BCP then the tyroid results will be messed up. As I was reading the pamphlet that comes with the BCP (hoping to somehow find the source of my hairloss I guess) it gave that warning. I came out normal on all my thyroid results, but since I am on BCP it makes me wonder if it was so acurate

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope. Never used BCP in my life... so I know my thyroid results would be accurate.

Julie

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
SadMom, your T3 level being out of range should be sending major flashing signals to your doctor....of course it's likely to be the culprit! Anytime you have a thyroid imbalance, and especially when it shows up in the standard panel of thyroid tests, most likely it's what's causing your hairloss. Throid function is the first thing all MDs check when you start complaining about hairloss.

Give it some time to work on getting your thyroid back into balance and you will probably notice a change in your hairloss pattern. Make sure you're working with your MD to get the right balance of medication.

good luck.

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
All my other thyroid levels are in normal range but that one. She didn't have an answer for it except to suggest that maybe I don't covert T3 well from the standard T4 medication. Although, I've tracked down old lab results and I've always been low on T3 and haven't experienced hairloss until this year. But, she agreed to try me on a T3/T4 combo... however, due to increased interest nationally in T3 meds... there is a shortage and I can't begin taking it for another month or so until the drug company makes more! UGH!...... more patience required.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
A drug shortage!?!! Unbelievable, if they're gonna advertise conditions/drugs, they oughta be prepared for the onslaught. Is this US or Canada?

P.S. Welcome back :)