Three years of pics, losing ground, should I go nuclear?

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've felt I was losing ground on the sides of my hairline over the past few years. I am posting pics here from 2018 (29 y/o)-present (32 y/o). I have always had a receding hairline like this since I was 16. The pic from 2006 shows this somewhat but it was actually MUCH worse than that pic. I have a pic that I can't find from my grandfather's funeral in 2005, and I am already a NW3. (And I am sorry for the inconsistent and poor quality pics too. I just snapped these for quick comparisons of the past!)

I started finasteride in 2011 and added minoxidil and nizoral 1% soon after. I haven't done much else until this April (2021) when I added in dutasteride once a week. I saw some research suggesting that this might help with regrowth. I also take Saw Palmetto, Melatonin, and Collagen for other reasons, but I doubt these are doing anything hair-wise.

The loss that I am noticing now might be a shed from dutasteride, induced by more weight lifting, induced by stress (super stressful 2 years for me), or just natural loss of effectiveness of finasteride over time.

I am curious what you all think I should do moving forward. Right now, I am thinking to stick this regimen out until the end of the year and see if the weekly dutasteride can't help the hairline. If I can maintain this, I would be very happy. It's not a good hairline, but I am very happy with it. If the weekly dutasteride doesn't work, I am thinking of going nuclear on maintenance: dutasteride every day, nizoral 2% shampoo, castor oil, microneedling, and minoxidil with azelic acid. Maybe some others. Since I am happy with where I am at, I reluctant to jump into an hair transplant right now.

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• May 2018-1.jpg
    May 2018-1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 274
  • May 2018-2.jpg
    May 2018-2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 245
  • May 2018-3.jpg
    May 2018-3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 233
  • May 2018-4.jpg
    May 2018-4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Feb 2020.jpg
    Feb 2020.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 253
  • March 2020.jpg
    March 2020.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 260
  • March 2020-2.jpg
    March 2020-2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Sept 2021-1.jpg
    Sept 2021-1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Sept 2021-2.jpg
    Sept 2021-2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 250
  • Sept 2021-3.jpg
    Sept 2021-3.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Sept 2021-4.jpg
    Sept 2021-4.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Sept 2021-5.jpg
    Sept 2021-5.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Sept 2021-7.jpg
    Sept 2021-7.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 214
  • Sept 2021-8.jpg
    Sept 2021-8.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Sept 2021-9.jpg
    Sept 2021-9.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Sept 2021-10.jpg
    Sept 2021-10.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Sept 2021-11.jpg
    Sept 2021-11.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Sept 2021-12.jpg
    Sept 2021-12.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 225
  • 2006.JPG
    2006.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What age did you start receding? I would consider maybe dutasteride and start micro needling maybe even add oral min. A transplant would be a great consideration and make you last even longer down the road too.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but my hair line seems to have been pretty bad when I was 16. I wish I could find the pic showing how I was already a clear Norwood 2.5-Norwood 3. Never considered oral min. Do people usually take that in addition to topical min?

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
What age did you start receding? I would consider maybe dutasteride and start micro needling maybe even add oral min. A transplant would be a great consideration and make you last even longer down the road too.

This guys advice is cooler than Miami vice

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with trying dustateride. You have to to try new things to see what works best for you.

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with trying dustateride. You have to to try new things to see what works best for yoI
I was taking dustateride .5mg x twice day for months and then drop down to .5mg 4-5 times a week. I noticed my hairline/forehead would get real oily twice a day and once in the morning. I decided to increase to .5mg everyday and not as much oil, you think oil was from DHT building up after dropping dosage?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I was taking dustateride .5mg x twice day for months and then drop down to .5mg 4-5 times a week. I noticed my hairline/forehead would get real oily twice a day and once in the morning. I decided to increase to .5mg everyday and not as much oil, you think oil was from DHT building up after dropping dosage?
Anything is possible when you mess with your hormones. And your hormones affect the oil glands.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
"induced by stress (super stressful 2 years for me)"
Finasteride or Dutasteride will make things worst, think 5-alpha reductase convert pregnolone into allpregnolone, a neurosteroid with calm properties and anti depression properties specially usefull on stress time.
Add tretinoin to your minoxidil, check for the 2019 study on pubmed.
Ketoconazole shampoo better a 2 % version and leave it for 20 minutes , at least, before you clean it and use it every day .
Anyway, you didn't look like you have receding a lot compare to your 2006 when you was already receding .

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
"induced by stress (super stressful 2 years for me)"
Finasteride or Dutasteride will make things worst, think 5-alpha reductase convert pregnolone into allpregnolone, a neurosteroid with calm properties and anti depression properties specially usefull on stress time.
Add tretinoin to your minoxidil, check for the 2019 study on pubmed.
Ketoconazole shampoo better a 2 % version and leave it for 20 minutes , at least, before you clean it and use it every day .
Anyway, you didn't look like you have receding a lot compare to your 2006 when you was already receding .
Wow, 20 mins! That's a lot. Is that normal for 2% nizoral? I usually leave it in for about 5 to 10 max. I saw a product somewhere that advertised Minoz with Tretinoin and Azelaic Acid. Might add that in next year. Since shipping is slow and I am currently moving, I am slowly adding stuff to start next year. The big decision will be whether I make the full transition fro finasteride to dutasteride.

jazz1

Reaction score
What brand medication are you using? Also try adding Regenepure DR especially when weight lifting you could add Topical anti androgen blockers on the days you weight train and use Ketaconazole on gym days.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
What brand medication are you using? Also try adding Regenepure DR especially when weight lifting you could add Topical anti androgen blockers on the days you weight train and use Ketaconazole on gym days.
That's not a bad suggestion. I actually use Regeneppure DR and NT(?) when I am washing on my days I don't use nizoral.

jazz1

Reaction score
That's not a bad suggestion. I actually use Regeneppure DR and NT(?) when I am washing on my days I don't use nizoral.
Regenepure DR is the best Hairloss shampoo I have used.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your case i would say maintenance until you can get a transplant is the best option.

jazz1

Reaction score

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yours seems like a solid strategy to me. If you can maintain for another three or five years you could always opt for a hair transplant and that should carry you till your mid or late forties as long as you stay on your meds. And it's an alright hairline for your age, you still have many styling options you can opt for if you want.