Those Of You Who Have Switched From Finasteride To Dutasteride

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you were in fina like 2 weeks ago, werent u? whats ur Norwood and diffuse situation like currently?

I started finasteride on June 20th, made the switch to Duta 5-6 days ago. I'm NW2 + DIFFUSE THINNER (yes, ALL CAPS -- if you catch my drift)

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw ZERO progress while I was on finasteride.. like NOTHING! I knew it wasn't working because that f*****g DHT itch/burning sensation did not go away whereas with Duta on the 3rd day the "itch" was completely gone
Dutasteride can’t possibly make itch/burn go away within a few days. This supports my thesis that it’s psychosomatic. You were probably happy to start dutasteride and it had a positive effect on your anxiety.

Glad you made the jump and that you feel better!

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride can’t possibly make itch/burn go away within a few days. This supports my thesis that it’s psychosomatic. You were probably happy to start dutasteride and it had a positive effect on your anxiety.

Glad you made the jump and that you feel better!

What do you mean by "psychosomatic"? like I'm secretly wishing for the itch/burning sensation to be "there" (on my scalp)?

are you on both Duta and finasteride? daily? What is your current regiment (exactly)?

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will probably start avodart in 2m when I am at a stage at work when I can handle the hopefully transient brain fog. I am also worried about the increased risk for diabetes.

may consider spironolactone instead.

on propecia my crown area still feels tight and irritated. Used to have decreased sex drive which is gone now.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean by "psychosomatic"? like I'm secretly wishing for the itch/burning sensation to be "there" (on my scalp)?

are you on both Duta and finasteride? daily? What is your current regiment (exactly)?
1.25mg finasteride + 0.5mg dutasteride daily
I’ll probably drop the finasteride at some point, maybe next year

No psychosomatic does not mean you wish it was there. No one wishes to have pain. It just means that the source of it is caused by negative emotions. Just like when you’re nervous about an exam and you get stomach cramps. Pretty much the same thing

That’s my take on it

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25mg finasteride + 0.5mg dutasteride daily
I’ll probably drop the finasteride at some point, maybe next year

No psychosomatic does not mean you wish it was there. No one wishes to have pain. It just means that the source of it is caused by negative emotions. Just like when you’re nervous about an exam and you get stomach cramps. Pretty much the same thing

That’s my take on it

I dunno man, I noticed my scalp burn/stab before I realized I was balding. Thought it was a bee sting at first...

Dennis1775

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will probably start avodart in 2m when I am at a stage at work when I can handle the hopefully transient brain fog. I am also worried about the increased risk for diabetes.

may consider spironolactone instead.

on propecia my crown area still feels tight and irritated. Used to have decreased sex drive which is gone now.
transient brainfog did you get brainfog on avodart before??? I am also experiencing brainfog and I am not as excited as before.It has been 10 months since i have started this drug.I am a 21 year old actor model living in london and france...

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
transient brainfog did you get brainfog on avodart before??? I am also experiencing brainfog and I am not as excited as before.It has been 10 months since i have started this drug.I am a 21 year old actor model living in london and france...

got some with propecia which wore off eventually.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did a year of finpecia brand finasteride and maintained but didn't grow anything back.
No sides.

Added dutasteride twice a week for 6 months while continuing finpecia and had my hairline slightly thicken up.
No sides, but had a skin cancer scare (caught it early and had it all removed), and read that dutasteride can have an impact on cancer, so quit it.

Swapped from finpecia finasteride to proscar finasteride and added oral minoxidil, first 5mg then 10mg. Hairline is 90% perfect, from being at 40%. Thinning on top and crown mildly improved.

Microneedling has done for me in 4 months than everything else over the last 3 to 4 years.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did a year of finpecia brand finasteride and maintained but didn't grow anything back.
No sides.

Added dutasteride twice a week for 6 months while continuing finpecia and had my hairline slightly thicken up.
No sides, but had a skin cancer scare (caught it early and had it all removed), and read that dutasteride can have an impact on cancer, so quit it.

Swapped from finpecia finasteride to proscar finasteride and added oral minoxidil, first 5mg then 10mg. Hairline is 90% perfect, from being at 40%. Thinning on top and crown mildly improved.

Microneedling has done for me in 4 months than everything else over the last 3 to 4 years.

What happened? freckle/mole? I did not know that duta has an impact on cancer, how does it affect cancer? any other sides besides that?

How long do you microneedle for? I did it for the first time yesterday and stopped as soon as I started bleeding. I rolled (vertically and horizontally) all over my scalp+hairline+temples for around ~5 minutes and did not apply anything to my head (before or after)

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What happened? freckle/mole? I did not know that duta has an impact on cancer, how does it affect cancer? any other sides besides that?

How long do you microneedle for? I did it for the first time yesterday and stopped as soon as I started bleeding. I rolled (vertically and horizontally) all over my scalp+hairline+temples for around ~5 minutes and did not apply anything to my head (before or after)

I had a growth on my leg, was an abnormally shaped bump of skin which turned black and started to become very painful. Ended up being squamous cell carcinoma. They decided to do a full body check and found early nodular melanoma on my neck.

There is no solid evidence that dutasteride causes cancer, but it has been looked into: https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/drugs-for-enlarged-prostate-is-cancer-a-side-effect

No other sides.

November 8th will be my 5th month mark. I use a dr pen a6 ultima now and a zgts 1.5mm roller in the past. I spend about 20 to 30 minutes per session. I'm likely going overboard and have a little bit of blood all over my scalp when I'm done. I change the depth depending on where I'm needling since I believe that different parts of scalp have different requirements to be effective. I use .75m to 1.0m near hairline, 1.5m for most of top, and 2 to 2.5 for crown.

I apply sandalore mixed in vivicream afterwards.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No sides.

can you advice some guide how to prepare dermarolling? disinfection of the roller, application, post procedure to do? which needle length do you use?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can you advice some guide how to prepare dermarolling? disinfection of the roller, application, post procedure to do? which needle length do you use?

I just shower beforehand and wash my hair. I do .75m on sides of hairline, 1.0m in middle of hairline. 1.5m on top of head, 2.5 on crown. I adjust my pen a lot while doing it, I don't think the scalp is a 1 size fits all thing when it comes to how thick each part is.

I bought numbing cream when I first started, but it has been useless. I don't drag the pen because that just seems like a terrible idea because of the risk of getting hair caught. I lift up and put it back down, which is why it takes 20 to 30 minutes to get full scalp coverage.

Afterwards I wash my scalp with just water and apply a moisturizing cream that I added sandalore to. I let that sit on for a few hours.

I just clean the needles with soap and water then let it air dry.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just shower beforehand and wash my hair. I do .75m on sides of hairline, 1.0m in middle of hairline. 1.5m on top of head, 2.5 on crown. I adjust my pen a lot while doing it, I don't think the scalp is a 1 size fits all thing when it comes to how thick each part is.

I bought numbing cream when I first started, but it has been useless. I don't drag the pen because that just seems like a terrible idea because of the risk of getting hair caught. I lift up and put it back down, which is why it takes 20 to 30 minutes to get full scalp coverage.

Afterwards I wash my scalp with just water and apply a moisturizing cream that I added sandalore to. I let that sit on for a few hours.

I just clean the needles with soap and water then let it air dry.
why pen? have you tried roller beforehand? When im trying to imagine how i dermaroll my scalp, i can only see roller contacting with hairs and not getting to skin, so pen is probably good in this sense.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why pen? have you tried roller beforehand? When im trying to imagine how i dermaroll my scalp, i can only see roller contacting with hairs and not getting to skin, so pen is probably good in this sense.

Rollers make a ' V ' shaped wound, since the needle is rolling. Pens make an ' I ' shaped wound since it us an up down action. Cleaner wound means faster healing time since less damage.

Also, I don't believe the scalp is a 1 size fits all thing for depth. Only makes sense that some spots require less than 1.5 and others require more. My hairline needs .75 to 1. My top needs 1 to 1.5, my crown needs 2 to 2.5. I'd need like 6 rollers to get the same amount of flexibility.

Before getting my pen I had a 1.5 and 1.0 192 needle rollers.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is brain fog to be expected on dutasteride?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is brain fog to be expected on dutasteride?
I'd imagine yes if going from nothing to dutasteride. If you had it with finasteride and it went away then you probably won't have it again if adding or switching to dutasteride. That's how it worked for me.

Dennis1775

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd imagine yes if going from nothing to dutasteride. If you had it with finasteride and it went away then you probably won't have it again if adding or switching to dutasteride. That's how it worked for me.
Are you sure about that? I have been off the drug for the last 10 days and the dutasteride brainfog effect is gone like 70-80 percent for some reason... But because of half life dutasteride I think its hairloss prevention benefits are still there after 10 days.. I don't know if I am gonna stop or continue...