Those Of You Who Have Switched From Finasteride To Dutasteride

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Did you have side effects on finasteride, do you have side effects on dutasteride?

2) Did you improve/maintain on finasteride, did you improve/maintain on dutasteride?

3) Why did you switch?

4) Are you happy you switched?

MxMa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) very mild side effects on both, no difference.
2) finasteride 1.5 year lost grounds. Dutasteride now 1 year and its making wonders for me.
3) because finasteride wasn't working and i need some alternative.
4) best decision i ever made. I hope dutasteride will maintain my hair for many years

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) very mild side effects on both, no difference.
2) finasteride 1.5 year lost grounds. Dutasteride now 1 year and its making wonders for me.
3) because finasteride wasn't working and i need some alternative.
4) best decision i ever made. I hope dutasteride will maintain my hair for many years
Thanks! I’m in the same boat as you on finasteride. Lost some ground in 15 months.

Any before/after pics?

Also any words of advice?

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would just stay on finasteride tbh. I think im losing a bit of ground too after 16 months but its hard to tell because I have a buzz cut.

Idk if you added minoxidil yet but add that in combination with finasteride before moving to dutasteride.

Dennis1775

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had erectile dysfunction on BOTH of them But I used finasteride only 3 months And erectile dysfunction started happening after 2 months of use.After that I realized my male pattern baldness at 20 years is too aggressive for finasteride to work long term.So I decided to move to avodart dutasteride 10 months ago.

Side effects were here and there the same.Reduced libido Lower ejaculate volume down about 50% volume.Orgasm intensity is much lower on dutasteride.I don't get much pleasure from orgasming on dutasteride.And the number 1 and reason that I will probably have to quit dutasteride is BRAIN FOG When I am talking to somebody or trying to concentrate I have brainfog for the last 3-4 months.I don't know if it will go away.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Took Finasteride. gave me the male pattern baldness itch. never had the itch before. so i stopped taking finasteride. talked to people on here who convinced me finasteride may not be strong enough and that may have been the problem. so i went on Dutasterde and had the male pattern baldness itch again, which i decided to ride it out hoping the itch would stop... it did not. and i have since stopped Dutasteride. sadly the itch did not go away this time, unlike it did when i stopped taking finasteride.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had erectile dysfunction on BOTH of them But I used finasteride only 3 months And erectile dysfunction started happening after 2 months of use.After that I realized my male pattern baldness at 20 years is too aggressive for finasteride to work long term.So I decided to move to avodart dutasteride 10 months ago.

Side effects were here and there the same.Reduced libido Lower ejaculate volume down about 50% volume.Orgasm intensity is much lower on dutasteride.I don't get much pleasure from orgasming on dutasteride.And the number 1 and reason that I will probably have to quit dutasteride is BRAIN FOG When I am talking to somebody or trying to concentrate I have brainfog for the last 3-4 months.I don't know if it will go away.
I’m sure it’ll go away if you quit. Brain fog is extremely psychosomatic so if you quit you may think it’s not going away, you gotta not psych yourself out. I’m not saying that you’re not experiencing symptoms, but the more you think about that symptom, the worse it’ll get. I go through periods of major depression, and when that happens my brain is unbearable. But when I come out of it and stop thinking about it, it goes away.

Hoping for the best man

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Took Finasteride. gave me the male pattern baldness itch. never had the itch before. so i stopped taking finasteride. talked to people on here who convinced me finasteride may not be strong enough and that may have been the problem. so i went on Dutasterde and had the male pattern baldness itch again, which i decided to ride it out hoping the itch would stop... it did not. and i have since stopped Dutasteride. sadly the itch did not go away this time, unlike it did when i stopped taking finasteride.

interesting. Maybe try nizoral if you haven’t already? I’ve also heard oils like tea tree oil help with the itch. I’ve used tea tree oil once, but it made my hair look so bad that I’ll never do it again haha.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nizoral makes the male pattern baldness itch worse. I do not understand why though. Never used to be the case.

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was the only reason why you stopped dutasteride because it did not stop your scalp itchiness? It is possible the scalp itchiness could have been caused by something else unrelated to male pattern baldness. There are a lot of possible causes of an itchy scalp.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The itch/burn is psychosomatic caused by anxiety. Ignore it and it will go away. I had it too

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
The itch/burn is psychosomatic caused by anxiety. Ignore it and it will go away. I had it too
Did your hair improve with dutasteride or only maintain? Your hair got worse while on finasteride?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only thing that helps the itch for me, at least a little. not much. but a little as its certainly calmer. is antihistamines. basically allergy tablets (8 hour lasting - benadryl). which obviously would mean it could be an allergy, but after Dutasteride i am sensitive to so many shampoos, even face moisturizers now make my scalp itch. and i can't take any form of DHT blocker without the male pattern baldness itch going crazy. again this never used to be the case. so i am putting it down to possibly overactive Immune system-related issues due to taking dutasteride.

And the only shampoo i have felt made a tiny bit of difference to the itch is Nioxin 2. and that one makes me shed quite abit so its f*****g ridiculous.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

How long were you on dutasteride for?

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride is amazing, I regret not starting sooner (as in right away) with Duta. I started with finasteride and made the switch to Duta

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
scary sh*t cant lie, im on finasteride again, but i have extremely agressive diffuse thinning, so with the current rate i dont have 1 year to give to finasteride and see results, might have to jump on duta at this point, which is sadly even more gamble with desinty regarding potential sides

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw ZERO progress while I was on finasteride.. like NOTHING! I knew it wasn't working because that f*****g DHT itch/burning sensation did not go away whereas with Duta on the 3rd day the "itch" was completely gone

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw ZERO progress while I was on finasteride.. like NOTHING! I knew it wasn't working because that f*****g DHT itch/burning sensation did not go away whereas with Duta on the 3rd day the "itch" was completely gone
you were in fina like 2 weeks ago, werent u? whats ur Norwood and diffuse situation like currently?