Those Of You Who Have Had Acute Telogen Effluvium - How Long Did It Last?

Tomaltum

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to see what's going on with my hair. In July I went through a very difficult period of extreme stress (unexpectedly lost my dad) and DAYS after he passed away, my hair started shedding excessively in large amounts. It has been consistently shedding ever since, and it's been three months now. It is all my long full grown hairs, with a white bulb on the end, no baby hairs being shed.

I know Telogen Effluvium usually comes on a few months after a trigger, so it worries me that mine started so immediately. It also doesn't seem to be slowing down at all, in fact, I'm losing even more hairs now than I was at first. It is also much worse on the right side of my head, I have a growing thin patch on the upper right part of my head, towards my part line that worries me a lot. It's like it started out on my right temple and has been growing bigger in the direction of the middle of my head. The other side doesn't have it.. yet. The thinning is diffuse and mostly all over, but the thin patch where you can see my scalp is the worst.

I have probably lost about 40% of my hair by now and it's still going strong! I had fine hair to begin with so now it's becoming very noticeable.

Now, I am a young healthy 22 year old, and NOBODY in my family has had any kind of hair loss except for my mum's dad. Everyone else has/had a thick head of hair, even my great grandparents in their old age.

I've had low iron and vit. D in the past, but have regularly been taking supplements, and both levels were normal last year but it's possible they have dipped down again.
I have some definite regrowth around my forehead, and some hairs that are a solid 2.5 inches long from when I lost them in July, but I'm not noticing any regrowth in the thin spot at the top! I first noticed it two or three weeks ago, it keeps growing wider, and I'm not seeing any regrowth. It isn't a full on bald spot, but it's very thin and you can clearly see my scalp through it. I can not leave the house without covering it up with dry shamoo and eyeshadow. I would have at least thought I'd have seen some regrowth there by now, since my hair grows very fast. I've been eating lots of protein and fruits and veg lately to try and help things along, but am not noticing a difference still.

If my hair loss was caused by my grief, I'm afraid I'll have it for a very long time to come because the trigger isn't going to just go away, I'm going to be feeling it for possibly the rest of my life.

I started seeing a counselor to help me deal with my stress and grief, and my emotional state has been improving - less stressed now, almost at a normal level, but my hair still hadn't slowed down so it's giving me unnecessary stress which might prolong this!

Anybody who has faced acute Telogen Effluvium before (as I hope mine won't become chronic), how long did the shedding last? When did it finally slow down and stop?

LilEevee

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also a young healthy 22 year old. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, my reason for my Telogen Effluvium was the same, I lost my mom 4 months ago. I might not be as helpful as I am still dealing with it, I feel like I lost about 40% of my hair too, but I really only noticed the shedding about 3 months after my mom passed away. It stopped falling out as much now, I feel like it finally slowed down. I have yet to see any regrowth but I heard it can take 6 months to a year for that, so that's how long I would expect it for you too. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this, and I am also stressing out over thinking of waiting that long and if it'll ever come back at all. I have faith though that yours will stop shedding as much too, especially when you don't think about it as much you'll notice it less and less.

Jhair123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been dealing with this too, and have found that maintaining a positive attitude is super important, but can also be so hard when dealing with hair loss. I found this video and it’s really helped me understand my situation and stay positive. Maybe it can help some other people too:

Jenny71

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to see what's going on with my hair. In July I went through a very difficult period of extreme stress (unexpectedly lost my dad) and DAYS after he passed away, my hair started shedding excessively in large amounts. It has been consistently shedding ever since, and it's been three months now. It is all my long full grown hairs, with a white bulb on the end, no baby hairs being shed.

I know Telogen Effluvium usually comes on a few months after a trigger, so it worries me that mine started so immediately. It also doesn't seem to be slowing down at all, in fact, I'm losing even more hairs now than I was at first. It is also much worse on the right side of my head, I have a growing thin patch on the upper right part of my head, towards my part line that worries me a lot. It's like it started out on my right temple and has been growing bigger in the direction of the middle of my head. The other side doesn't have it.. yet. The thinning is diffuse and mostly all over, but the thin patch where you can see my scalp is the worst.

I have probably lost about 40% of my hair by now and it's still going strong! I had fine hair to begin with so now it's becoming very noticeable.

Now, I am a young healthy 22 year old, and NOBODY in my family has had any kind of hair loss except for my mum's dad. Everyone else has/had a thick head of hair, even my great grandparents in their old age.

I've had low iron and vit. D in the past, but have regularly been taking supplements, and both levels were normal last year but it's possible they have dipped down again.
I have some definite regrowth around my forehead, and some hairs that are a solid 2.5 inches long from when I lost them in July, but I'm not noticing any regrowth in the thin spot at the top! I first noticed it two or three weeks ago, it keeps growing wider, and I'm not seeing any regrowth. It isn't a full on bald spot, but it's very thin and you can clearly see my scalp through it. I can not leave the house without covering it up with dry shamoo and eyeshadow. I would have at least thought I'd have seen some regrowth there by now, since my hair grows very fast. I've been eating lots of protein and fruits and veg lately to try and help things along, but am not noticing a difference still.

If my hair loss was caused by my grief, I'm afraid I'll have it for a very long time to come because the trigger isn't going to just go away, I'm going to be feeling it for possibly the rest of my life.

I started seeing a counselor to help me deal with my stress and grief, and my emotional state has been improving - less stressed now, almost at a normal level, but my hair still hadn't slowed down so it's giving me unnecessary stress which might prolong this!

Anybody who has faced acute Telogen Effluvium before (as I hope mine won't become chronic), how long did the shedding last? When did it finally slow down and stop?

Jenny71

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I know this post was last year but what happened and what did dr say. My story is identical to yours. Father died and almost immediately I started shedding like crazy. I’m freaking out.