This is the way I see some of the ppl on this board...

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
SOME ppl on this board are seriously the most saddistic bastards I've ever seen in discussion boards. I only go to 2 other boards but this board has to be the most negative i've seen.

anyone who shows or expresses a slight concern for hairloss, the first thing that pops up is u're balding and u need the big three. For god's sake, if a kid is 20 or so and has a head full of hair, give him a chance to live a little. yes, early treatment is good, but can we always be so sure that they're balding upon a couple months of shedding? stress, chemical, radiation or some side effects could easily make u shed a couple months. or some ppl go into a shedding phase even.

Second thing i wanna say is, if u're 40+ and u're married with a stable job, why the hell are u here? u seriously have to be some vain and homo dude to still care so much about ur looks at this age when everything's stable. Truth is, I really think balding is a natural process. How often do u see a 50+ male with no hair thinning or recession? balding just depends on ur speed. some kick in earlier, some later.

sorry, i just had to get this off my chest. the vibe in this board is terrible. my flame suit is on, so flame away.

unicron73

Established Member
Reaction score
whoa....I can agree though, there reaches a point in your life where you should let it go. However, it is a _very_ large sign of ones mortality, so I can see both sides.

*IF* I were - married, content in life and all those other things that we can only hope for, I would be less concerned over my hairloss. But because I am not I am concerned. What if I really am an old man (at 30 with noticeably balding in the crown).

So I am the flip - I am not married, I am always hoping to meet a girl and not be judged by my hair. I grew up a very self-conscious fat kid, finally made it to my 20's where that all seemed to reverse and got positive affirmations from around, and now, am about to turn 30 am _really_ concerned that I had 10 good years and no I am fvck'd

I hadnt look back there for about 3 months, and I was shocked today at how bad it got. I stopped all my treatment about 3 months ago, I dont know why...was tired of always worrying....I am a mess..

what other boards do you go to?

G

scud666 said:
Second thing i wanna say is, if u're 40+ and u're married with a stable job, why the hell are u here? u seriously have to be some vain and homo dude to still care so much about ur looks at this age when everything's stable. .

So what you are saying that being fit, looking good, feeling good about yourself, have no place in a male over the age of 40? Interesting perspective, how old are you to have gained this insight?

Trilidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, being fit is also good for your health....

If your married, children a job, a pretty full stable life, and the only reason your unhappy is because your losing your hair, maybe you need to take a step back and think about what your doing.

Nothing wrong with trying to keep your hair no matter what your age , but some folks alter there life trying to keep the hair on their head.

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
So your saying once you are married and set in life, who cares how you feel about your appearance. To turn the scale the other way, would you be happy if your wife gets finally set in life so she just decided she wasn't going to be concerned about her weight anymore and gained 200lbs. Do you honestly believe she would feel 100%? If you are happy being bald and feel you look better than ever, there is no reason to do anything. If your hairloss bugs you and you would feel better as a person having hair, by all means, do what it takes. Success, marriage, and children don't exacly equal happiness all the time. Hairloss is tramatic to millions of people and not just a little thing. Also the don't let it bug you thing has been beaten to the ground. I am pretty darn happy with my life and who I am but I believe I would feel even better with a fuller head of hair. Is that a crime to want to feel your absolute best?

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
What's irresponsible is telling a 20 year old kid who might not even be done puberty that just because he has some temple recession, he should f#ck around with his hormones and "get on the big 3."

Another thing that's irresponsible is telling people that they should stay on a drug when they are experiencing side effects. Having side effects means your body isn't reacting well to a drug and you should stop using it.

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
hair mchair said:
What's irresponsible is telling a 20 year old kid who might not even be done puberty that just because he has some temple recession, he should f#ck around with his hormones and "get on the big 3."

Another thing that's irresponsible is telling people that they should stay on a drug when they are experiencing side effects. Having side effects means your body isn't reacting well to a drug and you should stop using it.

Actually you are pretty much dead on. It actually is irresponsible for any of us to recommend medical advice to anyone no matter what their age unless we are a doctor. Luckily this forum is a wealth of information and you can pretty much get the scoop on every hairloss drug out there. But on the other hand I have learned a great deal on this site from other peoples regimens and recommendations. I guess the key term is see a doctor before trying anything or do things at your OWN risk.

daedalus

Reaction score
I have to agree with Scud, Trilidon and hairmchair on this. It is alarming how quick some people are to suggest Propecia. There are a lot of people here who seem to think that NOT taking Propecia would be a big mistake. I think the opposite is true. It's a serious drug that alters your hormones and may have very damaging, permanent side effects. And the 2% statistic? Come on, who do you think you're fooling?

I'm 26 years old and have been balding quickly over the past year. I tried propecia for a short while, but didn't stick with it because I knew right away that my body didn't like it. I firmly believe that you have to listen to your body. If you're having testicular pain, or soft erections...that's a serious red flag!!

I've accepted the fact that I'm losing my hair, and decided to go on with life. Once it gets very bad, I'm just going to shave my head and say f*** it. Why waste time worrying about all these treatments when half of them don't work and the ones that do have some efficacy f*** you royally in other ways. Of course I believe in looking your best and feelign your best...but if you're fighting a losing battle, what's the point? Seriously guys, you need to sack up, deal with this sh*t and move on.

It seems to me that I should focus on the things I have control over and not worry so much about the things I can't control. I've been a tall, lanky, skinny guy my whole life. People always tell me how thin I am and how I should gain weight. Now I'm going bald. It sucks. Big time. But you know what? I'm going to hit the gym, get in shape and move on with life. I don't want to spend countless hours on this or other hairloss sites, or my hard earned money on ineffective or unsafe treatments.

I am currently taking Rogaine - it's been about 4 weeks. I'm going to give it a try for a couple of months. If it doesn't work, that's that. The head gets shaved and life goes on. End of story.

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
yello911 said:
Also, Scud, if hairloss doesn't bug you, why are you here?

probably because i'm 23 and not married and currently unemployed!!!

but seriously, hairloss sucks, but look at alot of the 40+ guys and u'll see at least a NW2 or so. unless u're a movie star where ur physical appearance makes ur living, maybe u old folks should enjoy life a little. ppl are more forgiving to ppl who are old, espcially in appearances. back in high school, everything i wore or how my hair looked was so important. now that i'm 23, i don't need to always be so damn stylish with gel on my hair (if i had alot). ppl are more forgiving. i would COMPLETELY disregard a balding 40+ man in respecting him or not as a person. at 40, ppl look for other qualities. i judge them by their knowledge and attitude. so live a little. not saying u should accept fate completely, just telling u guys to spend some time worrying less.

Cal Que Later

Established Member
Reaction score
I have visited them all and this is one of the better one's I have seen. People are just very disgruntled, they are losing their hair and it bothers them like it is doing to you also. People have become very skeptical about anything that comes out that is not proven, which is why a lot of people just stick to the proven things like the "Big 3." Everyone I try and help I always add that they should see a doctor first because it is a bad idea to diagnose someone from a message they typed on an internet hair loss site. I think that is where the main problem lies, people are assuming that everyone is suffering from male pattern baldness and they just throw out the proven treatments at them. It's the fault of both people because on the one hand the person losing their hair should know that the people on these sites are not professional doctors, and the people posting should remind them that they are not either.

Balding is a natural process I doubt you will find many people here that disagree, the thing is though that even at 40+ there are people who still like to look good. The older you get the more and more your hair loss is accepted by society, and that is the whole problem here what society thinks. I believe that once you reach your early to mid twenties you stop trying to look older than you are. When we were teenagers most of us wanted to look older, this goes the same for women, so we could be
treated like we were an adult or equals in society. Once you reach your 20's though this reverses and you try to look as young as possible because for a lot of people their 20's were the best times of their life. Even if you are 40, married, and have 3 kids you would still love to revisit your 20's and live it up again, even if it were for only a short period of time. Since this can not happen you want to at least look and feel 20 again and hope that it will be enough for you.

jvantin1

Reaction score
Let me add my two cents here.

If it's true that "some" people are too quick to recommend "the big 3" or just Propecia, isn't it true that some people are also too quick to recommend Rogaine just because it's FDA approved? It DOES work, no doubt about it--for some people. Others aren't so lucky--they use it, shed, and their hair never recovers.

I'm just saying--probably EVERYTHING works, to some degree, for some people. Everyone has to make his or her own decision, and understand the potential consequences, as well.

Cal Que Later

Established Member
Reaction score
If when you said everything I would hope your were just talking about Propecia, Minoxidil, and Nizoral, otherwise you are you are going to have a lot of people tell you that you wrong. I am wondering where you are getting your info on Minoxidil also, because it is not a win/lose type of drug. It you do have results that is great, but if you don't that does not mean that the Minoxidil is going to make your hair worse than it was. While Minoxidil does cause shedding for some people, it will not make your hair any worse off than it would be if you never applied any. Besides it's not called the "big 1" or the "big 2," this is because all three of them put together will work better than using any one of them alone.

G

Minoxidil is an FDA approved OTC drug, as is Nizoral 1%. One does not need an MD to obtain and use these products and I fail to see how an MD would add any value in the process.

Propecia is a pres. RX. I would certainly not advise anyone to start using it without obtaining it legally by visting a license MD.

JustinTime

Reaction score
I agree that jumping on a program for hairloss at an early age is not a good idea and I fully encourage a doctor visit before starting any regimen to discuss your options.
As for 40+, I take exception to the inference that we don't currently, and haven't previously enjoy our lives. Believe me, I'm most happy with the turns and surprises life has given me. If you think that you don't have to work on maintaining your physical appearance once you are married and have children then I feel sorry for your future wife. Just like you won't want her to let herself go, she's not going to want to look at a couch potato with a beer gut and chrome dome. She may start eyeing the mailman.
I'm not suggesting that a full head of hair is required to keep your mate, but she'll appreciate your attempts at trying to look good for her whether its hair, body, or whatever. No matter how long you have been together a relationship requires continual work.

G

JustinTime said:
I agree that jumping on a program for hairloss at an early age is not a good idea and I fully encourage a doctor visit before starting any regimen to discuss your options.
As for 40+, I take exception to the inference that we don't currently, and haven't previously enjoy our lives. Believe me, I'm most happy with the turns and surprises life has given me. If you think that you don't have to work on maintaining your physical appearance once you are married and have children then I feel sorry for your future wife. Just like you won't want her to let herself go, she's not going to want to look at a couch potato with a beer gut and chrome dome. She may start eyeing the mailman.
I'm not suggesting that a full head of hair is required to keep your mate, but she'll appreciate your attempts at trying to look good for her whether its hair, body, or whatever. No matter how long you have been together a relationship requires continual work.

I am 54 and lovin life!

:rockon:

JustinTime

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
I am 54 and lovin life!

Life just gets better, I'm 44 and have never been happier. 20's think they are on top of the world, I did too 20 years ago. Now I know how wrong I was.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i'm only 18 (turning 19 soon) and my hair is thinning mostly in the front and back. I think the hardest time to thin would be at my age or younger, where you are most jugded by how you look. Trust me If i could be sorta bald at 20, or bald at 40, i'd choose 40.

I'm not gonna let baldness fase me, lifes gonna go on with or without my hair.

o and btw, i totally agree with scudd. THis forum is messed up at times. I just read a post about some guy who was like 23 and wanted to know if he was thinning. He looked like he was but almost everyone got on his case about how they wished they had that much hair and bla bla bla.