This is it: I am infertile!

barcafan

Reaction score
Yeah it must have been that rotten apple he ate that one day. This is like the blind leading the blind.

Boondock

Reaction score
^ A couple of points to further support finfighter's argument:

1. As I said earlier, there's simply no way, physiologically, that finasteride (or any drug, really) could affect sperm quality within a day. There's a significant lag time between sperm creation and sperm release. The sperm you release tomorrow was created several weeks ago.

2. As crazy as it sounds, with the millions of men taking finasteride it's probably statistically likely that someone with a pre-existing or co-existing problem would discover they had symptoms around the same time they started taing the drug. It might sound "far out" to you, but I think if you did the maths on the number of people taking finasteride vs. the proportion of people (even young people) who have these problems, incidences like this would probably make sense. As finfighter said, correlation does not equal causation.

I'd further like to add that assuming, with 100% certainty, that finasteride is the root of Fanjeera's problem is actually likely to harm his chances of recovery. It might be finasteride, but it might not be. If it isn't, and Fanjeera chooses to dogmatically pursue this finasteride line of inquiry, then he could be achieving nothing while ignoring solutions right in front of him.

As far as I'm concerned, all options are still on the table right now, and I'm sure any qualified doctor would say the same thing.

barcafan

Reaction score
The test was taken a while after he quit finasteride i believe, not the very same day. And isn't watery semen listed as a side effect anyway?

Boondock

Reaction score
The time of the test isn't the relevant point. I questioned Fanjeera earlier on as to how he could be sure it were finasteride causing the change (i.e. and not some other factor). He said he noticed the change visibly a day after taking finasteride. All I was saying is that any visible change a day after finasteride ingestation has nothing to do with change in semen quality (and, indeed, cannot have anything to do with it), and therefore cannot be used as evidence for a claim that finasteride "definitely" caused this test result.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
It might not have been just 1 day, but I certainly ejaculated within the 9 days of using the drug and the sperm quality then was very bad -- as bad as it is today.

Cassin

Reaction score
eth0 said:
http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72621

that was a good read....

did you read the replies to your post fanjeera?

"In your case, the problem is pituitary. Ie: your pituitary releases ample LH, but not FSH. This is unusual, and it is most likely a genetic anomaly."

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Cassin said:
eth0 said:
http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72621

that was a good read....

did you read the replies to your post fanjeera?

"In your case, the problem is pituitary. Ie: your pituitary releases ample LH, but not FSH. This is unusual, and it is most likely a genetic anomaly."
Yeah, I did. And I'm almost certain that he's right about the pituitary part, but I so hope he's not, because that kind of malfunctions cannot be cured. What I don't agree with is that it's genetic. I'm 100% that low FSH and pituitary problems came from finasteride for me, as it did for like all of the propeciahelp.com forum users. None of them has high FSH and that's what keeps me worried.
How can I determine if I have hypopituitarism? My doctor just wanted me to forget my infertility and suggested me that it would cure over time. But I want to do something to feel at peace with my health...
finfighter said:
It is immpossible to determine the quality of Sperm with the naked eye. That's like claiming that you could tell if someone had Sickle Cell Aneima from glancing at their blood. You can't determine those things without a microscope, because the're microscopic!
What I am able to determine is the lowered quantity, transparency and that it doesn't burst out anymore.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
infamous said:
do you know what i think? it's all in ur head.
Err... me and the doctors here must all be crazy then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-alpha-re ... deficiency -- 5AR2 deficiency causes infertility.
So either hypopituitarism or 5AR2 deficiency, which causes shrinked prostate and weak testicles. That's pretty bad... Life-long 5AR2 deficiency can take away all my masculine features and hypopituitarism which is also incurable causes much deeper problems in the whole body, as certain hormones can't be produced.

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but i don't think you can become INFERTILE from stressing about something. Yeah lowered libido can be mental but actual infertility? Don't think so. So, Cassin, your above post is pretty irrelevant.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Fanjeera....test results aside you were freaking out before you even started finasteride.
Yes, but freaking out does not cause reduction of sperm quality/quantity.

Cassin

Reaction score
Fender89 said:
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but i don't think you can become INFERTILE from stressing about something. Yeah lowered libido can be mental but actual infertility? Don't think so. So, Cassin, your above post is pretty irrelevant.

Shma said:
Cassin said:
Fanjeera....test results aside you were freaking out before you even started finasteride.
Yes, but freaking out does not cause reduction of sperm quality/quantity.

No it doesn't nor did I say it did. I am trying to focus Fanjeera where to look for answers and he was obviously looking at finasteride as a problem before he even started.

The problem was obviously there before finasteride. No need to be so doom & gloom...this problem could be solved.

Boondock

Reaction score
These men took finasteride for five years. When checked a year after ceasing use, their sperm were back to normal. You took finasteride for just over a week. Six months later, you still appear to have a problem.

I don't know whether finasteride caused your problem or whether it was something else. What I do know is that this study is completely irrelevant to your condition as it stands.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
Fanjeera said:
http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01485010701426471

That text is far to complex for non medics.
Can anyone translate into laymans terms? Especially the last part

Boondock

Reaction score
That text is far to complex for non medics.
Can anyone translate into laymans terms? Especially the last part

Basically it says that a small group of men who took finasteride for five years were tested for sperm quality against men who had never taken the drug.

Those who took it showed a decrease in sperm quality. Within a year however, all of them had their quality up to a normal level alongside those who hadn't taken the drug.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Well look on the bright side. Now you can just get a sperm donor with no history of male pattern baldness and your kids will not have to go through what you did. Of course they wouldn't really be your kids, but hey you can't have it all.

BTW there is probably a .001% chance that finasteride had anything to do with your being infertile. A huge percentage of users get that side effect and their fertility is fine.