This is how i see it...actually this is how it is...

GoldenBear

Reaction score
If you think this place is so horrible why are you still here after 3 years. Maybe you should move on accept your hairloss and get on with it. Dont waste your time trying to bring people down. There are more than just the posters who use this site, it gives them hope and a little piece of mind. Well thats what it did for me and Ill tell you what if the finasteride works for me then I doubt I will still be around searching for the miracle cure.

fritz96

Reaction score
sherwood said:
and fritz maybe u are right...but i seriosuly couldnt disagree with you more...

It doesn't make sense that someone initially successful battelling hairloss would have much motivation seeking out Internet forums.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My Interpretation:
people always forget an important point as well, positive posts don't get repeated. period. If someone is doing well on a regimen, they don't post everyday saying, "hair is still thick guys." then the next day post: "still doing well, still doing well." But the guy that feels like he's having a bad week will post ten times a day trying to find some answers, saying "hair is terrible, propecia sucks." This creates a huge ratio skewing, you can't deny this no matter how cynical you might be about the whole hairloss issue.
Secondly, positive posts don't get responded to. I have tried to post my positive results countless time only to find them buried 2 days later. They just don't get replies, simple as that. So people reading the board over time see negative posts getting all the play and all the positive ones getting read by a few posters only to be drowning in a sea of newbie fury an hour later. Eventually, you start believing no one is getting positive results.
Thirdly, as you said, and disregard, people who have success ARE just moving on with thier lives. And they do leave saying, things are great i'm outta here guys! only these posts, like i mentioned earlier, get buried very quickly.

All these things skew the success ratio. This board is not the public. Propecia did a double blind study of over a thousand people with photos, personal interpretations and doctor's hair counts. Trust that. And don't fret too much guys, my hair is getting better by the day. I never lose any hair in the shower or any other time, but it has taken some serious patience on my part. granted these aren't miracle drugs, and it doesn't give everyone exactly what they are looking for, but they work very well for some. cheers all.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
I agree with every word you said. I have come to realize, within the past month or so, that you just have to accept this. I go out on the town and see 'tons' of guys who are losing their hair and they are still picking up the chicks and having a great time. It is all about having a great time with your life and not letting this 'thing' get to you. I have finally accepted my situation and I'm happy with who I am.

I do agree that there are alot of up and down posts here on a continuous basis. I think alot of the time people post of success because they are experiencing a 'placebo' type effect. It's the excitment of being on a 'treatment' and thinking my hair is looking better or should be looking better and therefore believing that it does look better (half the before and after pictures I see posted do not show that much to me). However, 1 week later you will hear that same person say their hair has gone to complete sh*t. Lets face it, the stuff that is available now might improve your hair somewhat, but eventually you will be bald so you_have_face_it (sooner better than later). There are people who think I'm on finasteride and I will never lose my hair! :lol: Give it a couple of years, if your lucky, and lets just see how much hair you have. The most you can expect is short-term improvement. People have to understand that you are genetically pre-determined to lose your hair and nothing at this point is going to stop it. I really think it's all about accepting it, moving on, and likeing who you are. Life is too short!

this sounds more like the lasercomb and eucapil aren't working for you

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
Trent said:
My Interpretation:
people always forget an important point as well, positive posts don't get repeated. period. If someone is doing well on a regimen, they don't post everyday saying, "hair is still thick guys." then the next day post: "still doing well, still doing well." But the guy that feels like he's having a bad week will post ten times a day trying to find some answers, saying "hair is terrible, propecia sucks." This creates a huge ratio skewing, you can't deny this no matter how cynical you might be about the whole hairloss issue.
Secondly, positive posts don't get responded to. I have tried to post my positive results countless time only to find them buried 2 days later. They just don't get replies, simple as that. So people reading the board over time see negative posts getting all the play and all the positive ones getting read by a few posters only to be drowning in a sea of newbie fury an hour later. Eventually, you start believing no one is getting positive results.
Thirdly, as you said, and disregard, people who have success ARE just moving on with thier lives. And they do leave saying, things are great i'm outta here guys! only these posts, like i mentioned earlier, get buried very quickly.

All these things skew the success ratio. This board is not the public. Propecia did a double blind study of over a thousand people with photos, personal interpretations and doctor's hair counts. Trust that. And don't fret too much guys, my hair is getting better by the day. I never lose any hair in the shower or any other time, but it has taken some serious patience on my part. granted these aren't miracle drugs, and it doesn't give everyone exactly what they are looking for, but they work very well for some. cheers all.

Well said! I know if I was still using treatments and they were continuing to fend off hair loss or even regrowing a little hair I wouldn't be on this site trying to make a believer out of everyone that had doubts about the research. Most of the people who continue posting here either do it out of habbit, bordom or most likely to waste some time with people who were dealt the same shitty hand as they were.

This site does not represent everyone taking the drug and most people who did have success with their treatments are not going to bother posting pictures, writing a story or continue visiting the site often to give everyone a month by month update.

sherwood

Reaction score
well then i guess its just safe to say that we disagree...i believe that many people would stick around or at least post pics of true success...you say they wouldnt...as for me bringing people down ...nah thats not what this is about...i said firstly i am guilty of everythn that i spoke of...and i will continue to visit the site and i will continue to be controlled by human nature and hope that somethn new will work or somethn new will come along... hopefull i will become better at seeing the bigger picture...so no this isnt me trying to bring people down...im the last person to do that or at least it isnt my intent...but i will say it again....for some of you to sit here and say that u honestly believe that finasteride will help 83 percent of u keep what u have now...that blows my mind...this whole hairloss thing is cosmetic right?...so you base ur opinions on studies that i bleieve took place...but what else can u say when you dont see nearly the results that they claim...that is what we are interested in here right...propecia working on me you and the next guy....not whether the back label says it works...ud think they should coincide but they seemingly dont...i stick by what i wrote...i have so lil knowledge on the scientific aspects of hairloss ...so many people here are so much more informed on why stuff works or doesnt ...but again i am here alot and have been for a while and im telling you what i see....the samenegative patterns the same frustrations and the same hopes never really fulfilled by drugs that claim to work over two thirds of the time !!!!....not slow it down ...not grow fuzz...but keep what u have....it wouldnt surprise me in the least either if u spoke with many long time members who have been around and although they may know the numbers, they may have a tuff ftime saying that they trully see the 83 %succes stories on finasteride....but again someone please show me some pics that clearly exemplify success...there is no way they should be hard to come by...not at 83 %....and here is the weird thing...if someone asked me what to do cuz they are losing their hair...i would hav e to say get on the big three...only cuz its supposed to help any nothn would b eworse than to be kickn urself down the road if u realize somethn may hav eworked for ya....but again im just calln it like it is ...gnite boys

ShedMaster

Reaction score
propecia has stopped my hairloss. Its almost like hitting a 'pause button' but some people are not happy with just that. minoxidil and other topicals have helped to bring back thicker fuller and healthier hair for myself. Sherwood called it like he sees it, and you have to respect that. Anyone who jumps on the chemicals bandwagon has to understand that they are getting ready for a rollar coaster ride of good days, bad days, and volitile emotions.

fair enough?

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
sherwood said:
and cassin....ill be honest....what u just said is what we should expect to see way more of from a drug that claims or is perceived to stop hairloss...but i hardly ever read (never) propecia stopped my hairloss....and again when i do hear successs i hear those same people(including myself) days or weeks later all in a fuss again...

I really think your perspective is skewed by the posts you read on these boards. You need to focus on the lack of 5, 10 or 15 "post" users (or lurkers) who ask a few questions, read some posts and never come back, and don't post success stories or complain. Those are the true representatives of the public.

Very true. I started taking Paxil a few years ago. I decided to check a message board to see what the long use side effects might be a few months back. EVERYWHERE I turn there was a rant and rave about how Paxil caused horrible sides, worse condition, ect.

The reality for me is Paxil is a MIRACLE for me. I wouldn't trade it for anything. But 4-5 years later I have never went to a message board and made a single post on how effective it was/is for me. (Aside from this :)

fritz96

Reaction score
sherwood said:
well then i guess its just safe to say that we disagree...i believe that many people would stick around or at least post pics of true success...

For most of us, success is just maintaining what we have. What do you expect successful people to do, post photos of them having the same hairline every month?

G

well if u get results than there is no need to come back on the site...hairloss is no longer an issue in your life so u no longer visit HairLossTalk.com"....cmon...you mean to tell me that some people would not want to stay and post success stories? and i i mean real success stories where they keep their hair for years ...

Many users come to this website in there beginning freak out stage of hairloss and the begginning of there regimen. Thats why you'll see tons of negative posts to a few positive posts. Makes sense right, your still losing your hair early in treatment and your so shocked about male pattern baldness that you post like crazy all the negative thoughts in your head. Finally when you get sucess you post it, then leave. Hairloss isn't on the mind much anymore. Your no longer freaking out and have no need to post a million posts about your success.

I've came back to post my sucess and so have many others.. look for the posts. But also, as a matter of fact, few really do come back. I've been frequenting this site for over a year now and I've seen posters come and go. Let me name a few that have had success. BruceLee(over 10 years), Rage, Flux, x50(over 10 years), Xcel(sp. and i think he changed his user name, 4+ years of success), some other dude thats been on fina for 6 years can't remember his SN, DrinkRum(around 5 years of success), Kramer(had lots of negative posts and stopped posting for a while then came back all of a sudden telling us he's doing fine), el guapo, diddy, douggie... it can keep going on but these are the few names I can remember off the top of my head. Also you have users that have had success and continue to post like Cassin, The Gardener, TynanW(i think he's got banned), and of course our great hairloss leader HairLossTalk.com.

I think you missed an important point in your post. You said you seen the pattern of the hi's and low's the this and that. You might have overlooked that there have been many posts just like yours too... in search of success. It's there, look for it.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
don't forget BHD, actionpack, ropcat, greensoap, axon, me, deaner, and all the others on the success stories part of the forum.

viperfish

Reaction score
Deaner a success story?? :lol: Just kidding! All the same, you will still see many of these people complain, even some that are a full year into their existing treatments. Do you really think that the majority of people that come here are here because their treatments are not working? I really don't.

There are also many that have been on treatments for a long period of time that have not had success (I will not name names). However, I do get your point! But, still people have to be reasonable about what 'success' really is in the realm of hairloss. Success may be just being able to hold onto your hair for an 'extra year' with no distinguishable cosmetic difference in their hair. For many, including myself, this is not really success.

Although, I have come to realize that I will never be happy with my hair. Being on treatments allows me to say, "Whelp at least I'm doing something!". Although, I know in my heart that I cannot expect much and will never be 'really' happy. Hence, why I say get on something and move on with your life............hairloss really is trivial when you think about it. I, like the next person, am not happy with my situation, but have_come_to_accept_it.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

I have not been here long but I have read back logs of posts and concluded that a large majority experience a drastic reduction in the rate of their hairloss from finasteride. For ME, that would be considered a success.
The Merck studies are rotten with bias as the pharmacuetical industry is big business and cannot be trusted. Everyone at Merck wanted that drug approved and all of those "doctors" are just bonehead dematologists who would also gain from the drugs approval and from my experience derms are a joke. Therefore, I cannot accept their 83% number but it could be true. The better indicator is to see the results from people on forums like this and as I have said I believe a large majority have had a reduction in the rate of their hairloss. I believe if you have a decent amount of hair you will gain a slight increase from the hairs that are nearing death and are converted back to healthy follicle, and then all you will get from there is maintainence.
After first reading the advertisements from the producers and sellers of finasteride, I also thought that it was possible to grow hair on someone with a Norwood-6. Since that time I think it is clear that if you have that shiny bald head thing going on, you will be very hard pressed to see results even when adding in minoxidil. When a hair follicle is dead, it is pretty much never going to brought back to life......in my opinion

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In my opinion you overlook different aspect of this forum which are very important. People here don't only talk about their success or failure with certain treatments. People here debate, give tips to each other, and also, YES, it is a kind of a "supporting" group so that you can see you're not alone with you hairloss. I personally gave here advices to people and got many, which I wouldn't have gotten anywhere else!!

sherwood

Reaction score
i understand the support aspect of the forum...and i am not trying to rain on anyones parade....cassin mentioned some names that i do rememeber and if they are no longer here due to their success then that i sgreat...but no one here has even tried to argue the 83 percent with me...and that is the problem...u see 83 percent u think....wow there is a darn good chance this hairloss thing will b etaken care of...and if it isnt im an unlucky dude... i do not back off my statement of that 83 percent being way too high or at least it appears that way...and some peopel say well if it slows it down that is a success...no kidding that is a partial victory but certainly does not coincide with what the we are led to believe...just as you guys want me to take a peek at success stories, you too should just take a look at random posts...even those who hav ebeen around a while...see what peopel are saying....and i hate to point this out but if someone is claiming success one week then saying they are nervous the next week, chances are they didnt stop anythn...im arguiing against the notion that propecia claims stop hairloss in almost 85 perent of the people that use it...and ud have a hard tiem arguing against me unless you were present at the trials...

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
sherwood said:
im arguiing against the notion that propecia claims stop hairloss in almost 85 perent of the people that use it...and ud have a hard tiem arguing against me unless you were present at the trials...

Indeed, we'll have a hard time proving anything to you, just as much as you'll have a hard time proving your point to us. Neither of us has done any scientific tests. Only party that has is Merck :D.

itchy080

Established Member
Reaction score
i ahve been on propecia for about 10 months now, and over the last 3 my hair has thinned an incredible amount, i am hoping this is the propecia working and soon i will get some density back
with that said however, i to am coming to realize my hair will soon be gone and i will have to deal with a bic'd head, this is not easy for i am only 22 and like many of you on this board, i feel like my youth has been taken out from under me
recently i have been tryin to make the most of this going to the gym etc...its all about being confident and happy with your life, i think most of this depression stuff with women not wantin us is bs in our heads

viperfish

Reaction score
itchy080 said:
i ahve been on propecia for about 10 months now, and over the last 3 my hair has thinned an incredible amount, i am hoping this is the propecia working and soon i will get some density back
with that said however, i to am coming to realize my hair will soon be gone and i will have to deal with a bic'd head, this is not easy for i am only 22 and like many of you on this board, i feel like my youth has been taken out from under me
recently i have been tryin to make the most of this going to the gym etc...its all about being confident and happy with your life, i think most of this depression stuff with women not wantin us is bs in our heads

Yeah, your right. Take your money an invest in a bo-flex and use the treatments if you can. The bo-flex was the best thing I have ever bought. Working out every day makes you feel great and also takes some of your thinking off the subject of hairloss.