This combo is supposedly better than Propecia

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
I went and saw Dr. Lee about 6 months back. He checked out my hairloss and he discussed the current treatments that are going on. He didn't even bring up any of his porducts, I had to bring them up. He didn't try to sell me his propecia (gave me a prescription for proscar) or anything. Personally, I find him to be a great and trust worthy person. I don't know about the combo he says works better than propecia, never tried since I have no noticable side effects from propecia, but if you don't want to use propecia, than you might as well give it a try.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Grantspots said:
Bryan said:
Finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery". Merck scientists knew all about the potential use of 5a-reductase inhibitors for balding even before finasteride was synthesized for the first time.
While the above statement is true, the idea for a drug as a 5-Alpha Reductase inhibitor was introduced in the early 70's by researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern...

Interesting bit of historical information. Thanks for relating that!

Grantspots said:
...yet the FDA approval for Merck's Proscar didn't come until 1998 - almost 24 years later.

You're thinking of Propecia, of course, not Proscar. The approval process _does_ take plenty of time, although I'm not sure why you seem to be trying to draw a connection between the first proposal for using drugs as 5a-reductase inhibitors and the first discovery and commercial application of such a drug.

Grantspots said:
How they made the connection to hairloss is unclear, but I suppose one could argue it could of been by accident. Were they consciously looking for it?

No, it wasn't an accident. As I indicated before, they knew all about the potential use for hairloss. Yes, they were consciously looking for it.

I have studies discussing the connection between DHT and hairloss that go back AT LEAST as far as the early 1970's, and there are probably plenty of others that are even older than that. So it certainly should come as no surprise that Merck scientists already knew all about that theoretical way to treat hairloss!

Bryan

G

[/quote]

or maybe he just makes his websites appear like that to gain the trust of people? lets think, he wants you to buy from him, he is willing to do anything to get you to buy from him (also it is not uncommon people/companies to register and post on other forums saying how great their products are)[/quote]

Ok so we will go slow with you on this one. You seem to have a real burr up your *** about Dr. Lee (no relation by the way!) but we are not sure why?

Do you have experience with Dr. Lee and if so, does this experience support your diatribe against him? If so, cite the FACTS clearly.

If not, is your point to simply irritate his customers or are you working to hurt his business on someone else's behalf?

Or are you just bored and not a very rigorous thinker?

And BTW-re the profit motive, do you work for free or do you insist that you are paid for your work? If so, why would you expect Dr Lee to not make money selling his service and products?

:moon:

bombscience

Reaction score
Axon said:
Dr. Lee only sells approved treatments, or treatments that have proven to be effective for many end users.

Dr. Lee charges a competitive price for his formulations - his Minoxidil 5%, when purchased in relative bulk, is considerably less costly than store-bought Rogaine.

That being said, I realize that Dr. Lee is in this for profit in some fashion. Obviously, he makes a mint from this business, and yeah, every time I place an order for 6 months worth of minoxidil/Retin-A it adds another foot to his outdoor, in-ground pool.

But that doesn't make the guy some scumbag who sells snake oil out of his basement. He's a legit guy with a legit practice in a field full of illegitimacy. If you wanna see a bunch of liars out for profit, take a look at FNS or WSMR.

As far as I'm concerned he has done countless hours of research and is a leader in honest hairloss treatment so he deserves everything he has.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, Dr. Lee is one of the good guys out there.

BTW, there is PROOF that topical spironolactone is effective for treating male pattern baldness. Bryan even has one such study posted on his website (I believe it is from italy).

So if I had to add a fifth treatment to my regimen of finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral, and tricomin...it would definitely be spironolactone...but there is no need..I'm at a Norwood 1.5 and it's only getting better...

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Grantspots said:
...yet the FDA approval for Merck's Proscar didn't come until 1998 - almost 24 years later.
Bryan said:
You're thinking of Propecia, of course, not Proscar.
I stand corrected. The FDA approved Proscar in 1992. http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/nda/98/2018 ... ROSCAR.PDF

Bryan said:
The approval process _does_ take plenty of time, although I'm not sure why you seem to be trying to draw a connection between the first proposal for using drugs as 5a-reductase inhibitors and the first discovery and commercial application of such a drug.
Bryan - I'm just trying to get a gauge on the sequence of events and whether or not Finasteride as a hairloss drug was discovered by accident. I assumed (yea, yea) finasteride was developed specifically as a BPH drug and somewhere along the way, it was discovered to have an effect on hairloss. With the amount of time between discovery and FDA approval - 18 years - that logic seemed reasonable. It's trivial yet interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for setting me straight.

jerry grant