This combo is supposedly better than Propecia

iseras

Reaction score
Alright, so according to Dr.Lee, a combination of spironolactone and Azelaic Acid is more effective than Propecia alone- that way, you get the added benefit with no systemic side effects. That's some interesting stuff- any thoughts?

G

istherehope said:
Does he have any data or studies or references to back it up? If not then forget it.

Dr. Lee is a very bright guy and this is speculative on his part. I don't believe he has ever implied that he has data on this, just his patient's experience.

Actually, I am planning to try all three at once.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
bruce why is it that you believe dr.lee so blindly but dont believe anything else (im not trying to be rude i am really asking)

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,

What's up man? No more Nano?

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think there is only 1 study (the zinc/b6/azleic acid study) which shows azleic acid as dht inhibitive isn't there? spironolactone should work in theory, assuming it is absorbed into the skin. HOWEVER, my money is on propecia producing better results long term.

Most of the best treatments for male pattern baldness are those which were found by accident, and not those which should work according to theory (ie. minoxidil, finasteride & nizoral were all discovered by pure chance).

WE NEED MORE DAMN STUDIES!!! :hairy:

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Lizzad said:
I think there is only 1 study (the zinc/b6/azleic acid study) which shows azleic acid as dht inhibitive isn't there? spironolactone should work in theory, assuming it is absorbed into the skin. HOWEVER, my money is on propecia producing better results long term.

Most of the best treatments for male pattern baldness are those which were found by accident, and not those which should work according to theory (ie. minoxidil, finasteride & nizoral were all discovered by pure chance).

WE NEED MORE DAMN STUDIES!!! :hairy:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are wrong about finasteride being discovered by accident. Can anyone back me up here? I forget the particulars.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
hair mchair said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are wrong about finasteride being discovered by accident. Can anyone back me up here? I forget the particulars.
It stands to reason that if it was found to be a side effect for people taking it for prostate problems that it might be considered "by accident".

But then, when does logic and reason mean anything?

-jg

Dougie

Reaction score
This Dr. Lee guy seems pretty fishy to me. He's selling this stuff and making a huge profit. There are no studies that suggest this will work better than propecia. In fact systemic drugs almost always work better than their topical counterparts.

For example, if you have acne your Doctor will first give you a topical antibiotic. If that doesn't work then you use a system antibiotic which is much more effective. Something topical is not going to be as effective as something systemic.

G

zak84 said:
bruce why is it that you believe dr.lee so blindly but dont believe anything else (im not trying to be rude i am really asking)

Please re-read my post. I did not say that I "believed" him. I said that it was specualtion on his part based on his experience with his patients.

I am going to try several of his products AND am sticking with the Big Three. This is called experimenting, which I do from time to time.

I will do this based on the long experience I have had with reading about Dr. Lee's patients here and my phone conversation with him.

:lol:

G

Dougie said:
This Dr. Lee guy seems pretty fishy to me. He's selling this stuff and making a huge profit. There are no studies that suggest this will work better than propecia. In fact systemic drugs almost always work better than their topical counterparts.

Well to be factual, you have no idea:

How Dr. Lee smells unless you have met him.

How much profit he makes

He does not claim that his drugs will work better than propecia. Quite the opposite, he suggest they work very well in tandem with propecia.

It is not a fact that "all" systemic drugs work better than all topical drugs. And there is that little issue of side effects!

Get your facts straight please!

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
but when it comes down to it, he is trying to get you to buy his products, can you honestly trust anything he says? you dont trust doctors and they're not trying to sell you anything

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lizzad said:

Uh-oh! You just said the Magic Words! That's a widespread myth in the hairloss community that I'm doing my best to dispel.

Finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery". Merck scientists knew all about the potential use of 5a-reductase inhibitors for balding even before finasteride was synthesized for the first time.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dougie said:
In fact systemic drugs almost always work better than their topical counterparts.

Oh, I dunno... Personally, I'd avoid making sweeping generalizations like that. For instance, topical RU58841 _definitely_ works better than oral finasteride in stumptailed macaques, and it works better than oral RU58841, too! :lol:

Bryan

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery". Merck scientists knew all about the potential use of 5a-reductase inhibitors for balding even before finasteride was synthesized for the first time.
While the above statement is true, the idea for a drug as a 5-Alpha Reductase inhibitor was introduced in the early 70's by researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern, yet the FDA approval for Merck's Proscar didn't come until 1998 - almost 24 years later. How they made the connection to hairloss is unclear, but I suppose one could argue it could of been by accident. Were they consciously looking for it?

jerry grant

G

zak84 said:
but when it comes down to it, he is trying to get you to buy his products, can you honestly trust anything he says? you dont trust doctors and they're not trying to sell you anything

I think the posters who reguarly visit this site "trust Dr. Lee" because:

Many have posted with postiive results from using his products

Some of us have spoken to him (even though we don't use his products) and like his manner.

His website does not promise miracles

His website is balanced and he does use accepted treatments.

And so forth.

Does this equate to proof? No, and I don't think anyone here is suggesting that we drop the Big Three and only use Dr. Lee's formulas. Dr. Lee does not suggest that either.

This is very different than many so called hairloss products out there.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr. Lee is a good businessman. He has been running his website selling hair loss remedies for several years. I wouldnt blindly believe what he says, however. As a businessman, he has to differentiate what he sells vs. what you can get anywhere else cheaper.

Personally, I think Dr. Lee is probably one of the most honest hair loss physicians out there. I would stick with proven treatments first but if you wanted to go strictly topical, I think Xandrox/spironolactone is a good choice. Or you could go with generic minoxidil/spironolactone/crinagen or revivogen.

I give my thumbs up to Dr. Lee. Is Xandrox/spironolactone a viable alternative to finasteride/minoxidil? I doubt it, but its probably beneficial.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
zak84 said:

I think the posters who reguarly visit this site "trust Dr. Lee" because:

Many have posted with postiive results from using his products

Some of us have spoken to him (even though we don't use his products) and like his manner.

His website does not promise miracles

His website is balanced and he does use accepted treatments.

And so forth.

Does this equate to proof? No, and I don't think anyone here is suggesting that we drop the Big Three and only use Dr. Lee's formulas. Dr. Lee does not suggest that either.

This is very different than many so called hairloss products out there.

or maybe he just makes his websites appear like that to gain the trust of people? lets think, he wants you to buy from him, he is willing to do anything to get you to buy from him (also it is not uncommon people/companies to register and post on other forums saying how great their products are)

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
zak84 said:
...or maybe he just makes his websites appear like that to gain the trust of people? lets think, he wants you to buy from him, he is willing to do anything to get you to buy from him (also it is not uncommon people/companies to register and post on other forums saying how great their products are)
Let's see...

He's experienced and considered an authority in his field of practice. He takes the time to speak honestly to people one-on-one and through his website and offers fair and honest options to other products on the market. He doesn't over promise or over hype in his marketing communications and he succeeds primarily by gaining the trust of his customers.

Sounds fishy to me - we should lobby to get him shut down.

jerry grant

Axon

Reaction score
Dr. Lee only sells approved treatments, or treatments that have proven to be effective for many end users.

Dr. Lee charges a competitive price for his formulations - his Minoxidil 5%, when purchased in relative bulk, is considerably less costly than store-bought Rogaine.

That being said, I realize that Dr. Lee is in this for profit in some fashion. Obviously, he makes a mint from this business, and yeah, every time I place an order for 6 months worth of minoxidil/Retin-A it adds another foot to his outdoor, in-ground pool.

But that doesn't make the guy some scumbag who sells snake oil out of his basement. He's a legit guy with a legit practice in a field full of illegitimacy. If you wanna see a bunch of liars out for profit, take a look at FNS or WSMR.