Thinning? Temporary Shedding? What's Happening? 30yr Old Male

fs686

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi - I'm going to share some pics of my head. I noticed increased shedding a couple months back when my hair was 3-4 inches long, and it seemed thinner when styling (could see scalp). This was leading up to and while studying for a high stakes professional exam which is now past - there was stress and temporary diet changes.. A week ago I buzzed it all off on a whim. This is now a week after the buzz. I don't have pics from a year ago, but based on your knowledge does it appear I may be balding, thinning, could this have (fingers crossed) been a temporary, stress-induced shed which I will recover from? What should I expect, what should I do? I have no family history of baldness on either side in my family - every male keeps his hair to his nineties - but I understand this doesn't necessarily mean I couldn't get two recessive genes. My hair has always been on the finer/thin side. I do have history of thyroidism in the family and autoimmune skin condition (vitiligo) myself since 18 - not sure if that's relevant. Just started using nizoral otc and some better shampoo and conditioner (natural, with biotin and collagen) hoping this helps regrowth and hair health.

Thx

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 419
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It might be a telogen effluvium shed. You can search it on Google. It's usually temporary and your hair will grow back within 6-9 months, year at the most.

fs686

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks - I thought the new hair would be visible once or very soon after the old hair falls out. I thought based on some reading that basically the new hair pushes out the old one. This is partly why I shaved my head - wanted to see what was happening underneath..i would see a derm but don't have health insurance at the moment. Sounds like I can hope to see new hair emergence in a year and will see a derm if not. Anything I can do in the meantime to speed up regrowth, assuming it is telogen effluvium? Forgot to say Im also now taking a multi, fish oil, and a 'hair skin nails' multi with zinc, A and biotin.

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks - I thought the new hair would be visible once or very soon after the old hair falls out. I thought based on some reading that basically the new hair pushes out the old one. This is partly why I shaved my head - wanted to see what was happening underneath..i would see a derm but don't have health insurance at the moment. Sounds like I can hope to see new hair emergence in a year and will see a derm if not. Anything I can do in the meantime to speed up regrowth, assuming it is telogen effluvium? Forgot to say Im also now taking a multi, fish oil, and a 'hair skin nails' multi with zinc, A and biotin.

Minoxidil is a hair growth stimulant. There is also finasteride. These are two drugs most people would mention first. But, it's mostly for normal/aggressive male pattern baldness. Go easy on the zinc. Too much of it has adverse effects (you lose more hair). Other than biotin, you can try Ginko Biloba (for increased blood circulation) and Apple Polyphenols. These are all natural remedies, which most people around here will totally disregard. But, if you don't need to take minoxifil/finasteride, or simply don't want to, the natural stuff is a decent alternative. For DHT-blockers, you've got saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil.

fs686

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you think that, by posting this thread, we'd convince you that what you already know to be true actually isn't?

Yes, you're losing your hair; you have diffuse thinning at your scalp and significant recession at the temples. Nizoral alone will accomplish very little; get on finasteride and minoxodil if you want to have any chance of keeping your remaining hair.

No, because I don't know anything to be true. I'm open to both options. Like I said, I only noticed it during the stress period, and I forgot to mention there was heavy amphetamine (adderall) use around this time which caused me to eat a lot less and drop 5lb. I read this can contribute to Telogen Effluvium. So I thought that was possible. I think it is possible I'm just balding also. I posted here to see what other opinions would be since I have no experience and little knowledge.

Last edited:

fs686

My Regimen
Reaction score
Eh I realize a derm may only cost around 200 for the visit and I can afford that so I'll just make an appointment asap and I guess see what they give me. Thanks both.

violetfluff

Reaction score
No, because I don't know anything to be true. I'm open to both options. Like I said, I only noticed it during the stress period, and I forgot to mention there was heavy amphetamine (adderall) use around this time which caused me to eat a lot less and drop 5lb. I read this can contribute to Telogen Effluvium. So I thought that was possible. I think it is possible I'm just balding also. I posted here to see what other opinions would be since I have no experience and little knowledge.
Not eating properly e.g. skipping 2-3 days/week of food have induced Telogen Effluvium in me in the past, so has dieting on LCHF, so it's quite possible but you appear to have male pattern baldness going on too going by your hair line.

fs686

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I got in today at the derm (same day appt, amazing). I was kind of annoyed by how not aggressive she was about treating. She basically said wait a while and hope it comes back thicker. I had to propose we put a timeframe on it (3 months) and that we do a biopsy at that time if it hasn't corrected itself. After I laid out the recent history (I did not at first, Only after she looked and said maybe it is alopecia areata) she agreed it could be Telogen Effluvium. She noted there are no miniaturized hairs and it thinned fast from my recollection. So for now I wait and then I go back in October for the check in and possibly biopsy.

This was a medical college clinic by the way - I think the doctor was a resident. The practice with good reviews and several 'full' derms who also teach, publish, and lecture was not taking new patients at all.

In the meantime I impulsively bought 3 mos of finasteride online today. Is there a way I can rationalize taking that before going back in October?

Last edited:

fs686

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nearly a month after buzzing figured I'd post update. Ive always had thin hair but it seems extra thin and weak looking, diffuse around the top, tho obviously the remaining hair has grown back. Gonna go get the sides cleaned up this weekend. Been taking finasteride for about 3 weeks, feel hornier, had a wet dream even, but I don't see any positive change to the top of my head.

Also, guess I never realized before coming here but my temples are recessed. Damn.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

fs686

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, here are some shots I found of myself from 7 years ago. I'm unsure if I see a great difference in the temples but definitely in the density.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 235

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You definitely have a diffuse pattern going on there. It going to take at least 6 months to a year to see how you respond to finasteride. In six months, if you don't improve, I would add minoxidil as it tends to help with situations like yourself.