Thinning/shedding Caused By Dim Or Telogen Effluvium?

BaldingZombie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this supplement and had hair loss continue after discontinuing it?

I started taking DIM around the beginning of March and noticed my hair shedding in significant amounts (full length strands with the roots attached) about 10-14 days into daily use (150 mg). I discontinued the supplement immediately after noticing the hair shed, but my hair is still falling out at roughly the same rate over a month later.

Unfortunately, I chose a pretty bad time to start a DIM supplement, as that was right around 3-4 months after I'd stopped taking birth control pills (Microgestin) and I found out that Telogen Effluvium is a very common occurrence 3-4 months after stopping the pill - so sadly, I can't really say for certain if the hair loss is Tellogen Effluvium (though I'm inclined to believe it is, as the hair fall is all over and doesn't seem to be in any particular pattern, as I've Androgenic Alopecia can be), though it does seem like if the hair loss was caused just by the use of the DIM supplement, it should have stopped or at the very least, slowed by now.

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not the DIM supplement could be behind the hair loss over a month after stopping? I had my thyroid checked just to rule it out as a possible cause, and my results came back normal. I'm considering trying the DIM supplement again, as it was great for my energy, mood, and weight loss, though I'm wondering if that's just a terrible idea and might make my hair fall out more than it already is - on the other hand, if it's Telogen Effluvium caused by stopping birth control, I might as well get that DIM energy boost and lose a few pounds to console myself over my rapidly thinning hair, right? ;-P

I'd greatly appreciate any advice anyone might have on this, I've done a fair amount of research and it seems like everyone has a different opinion, and though I'm not exactly certain what the half-life of DIM might be, it seems like the effects of it should be well out of my system by now, but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Thanks!

Alexander Oneil

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this supplement and had hair loss continue after discontinuing it?

I started taking DIM around the beginning of March and noticed my hair shedding in significant amounts (full length strands with the roots attached) about 10-14 days into daily use (150 mg). I discontinued the supplement immediately after noticing the hair shed, but my hair is still falling out at roughly the same rate over a month later.

Unfortunately, I chose a pretty bad time to start a DIM supplement, as that was right around 3-4 months after I'd stopped taking birth control pills (Microgestin) and I found out that Telogen Effluvium is a very common occurrence 3-4 months after stopping the pill - so sadly, I can't really say for certain if the hair loss is Tellogen Effluvium (though I'm inclined to believe it is, as the hair fall is all over and doesn't seem to be in any particular pattern, as I've Androgenic Alopecia can be), though it does seem like if the hair loss was caused just by the use of the DIM supplement, it should have stopped or at the very least, slowed by now.

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not the DIM supplement could be behind the hair loss over a month after stopping? I had my thyroid checked just to rule it out as a possible cause, and my results came back normal. I'm considering trying the DIM supplement again, as it was great for my energy, mood, and weight loss, though I'm wondering if that's just a terrible idea and might make my hair fall out more than it already is - on the other hand, if it's Telogen Effluvium caused by stopping birth control, I might as well get that DIM energy boost and lose a few pounds to console myself over my rapidly thinning hair, right? ;-P

I'd greatly appreciate any advice anyone might have on this, I've done a fair amount of research and it seems like everyone has a different opinion, and though I'm not exactly certain what the half-life of DIM might be, it seems like the effects of it should be well out of my system by now, but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Thanks!

The trigger of hair fall is tracked 3 months into the past. The telogen phase of the hair cycle lasts 3 months - hair is detached from the papilla and make its way out of the follicle. In your case, most possibly Microgestin was the trigger. I found out that Microgestin is a combination of progestin (synthetic progesterone) and estrogen. Progesterone is a protective hormone that when is elevated it gives luscious hair. The majority of pregnant women experience this. I'm not sure about progestins though and I'd have to look into the specific one used in the medication. Estrogen is the nastiest hormone when it is elevated and it is responsible for hair loss. Women after childbirth experience hair issues due to declining Progesterone. Progesterone is keeping estrogen in check. DIM balances estrogen. DIM consumers - both male and female - have reported significant drops in estrogen levels. Hormonal balance is a delicate area and it is best left at the hands of mama nature. Having said that you may want to read Dr. Ray Peat's work as he dedicated his career into the function of hormones and he has posted and published some of his work online.

For the thyroid test, the doctor should have ordered TSH, T3 & T4 (free and total) and PTH. They tend to check TSH and T4 which is similar to watching the first minutes of a film and assume a happy ending.

Last edited:

Tula

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a similar post about DIM causing my hair to fall out. I did not realize it was that causing it because of a bunch of other things and I took it for about a year. 2 years after stopping and I am still shedding and have no regrowth. My shedding did slow quite a bit after stopping it though.
Hopefully yours will come back sooner since you were not on it very long. You might just have Telogen Effluvium and need time.
Mine I think was because the DIM brought my estrogen down too low. Now my body treats me like I am in peri menopause and I am only 34..
My thyroid came back normal, ferritin was low at 17 and I am still trying to raise that. My hormone levels were in the "normal range" but I just had them retested so I should know this week. Last time it was the very low end of the normal range.
I am about done waiting and worrying it may be Androgenetic Alopecia or a combination of that with CTE. I currently have thinner hair than my mom and my grandma.

Alexander Oneil

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bumped into a very useful article which provides answers to your mystery on whether progestin causes hair loss. Below is the quote from the article (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ntrol-pill-causing-hair-loss-young-women.html):

'Birth control causes hair loss if it contains a progestin - a synthetic version of progesterone - with a high androgen index,' Dr Briden said.

'This can be more or less testosterone-like depending on its molecular structure and that is called its androgen index.'

Progestins with a high androgen index include medroxyprogesterone, norgestrel, etonogestrel and levonorgestrel and progestins with a low androgen index include drospirenone and cyproterone.

‘Progestins with a high androgen index act like testosterone in the body,’ Dr Briden said, ‘they shrink hair follicles, so they thin hair much like testosterone does in men.’