Thinning mostly on sides, hoping for advice.

susiedoll

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm glad that there's a forum out there devoted to this. Last summer, I recently escaped a very bad situation, and suffered severe emotional trauma and distress. I was formally diagnosed with PTSD. For a long time after, I also didn't eat well, barely slept, didn't take good care of myself. A few months later, I started shedding like crazy. I remember getting so upset, because I could see my scalp. I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything, I was so depressed. Then, it finally seemed to stop, slowly, and I forgot about it. I had a few more distressing experiences, and now a couple months later I'm shedding again =/

It is lessening a bit...I notice that all along my middle part I have lots of short, thick hairs growing back. There are less hairs growing in throughout the bangs/fringe area, but there are enough for me to feel hopeful. However, the sides of my hair (kind of like a mohawk) are thinned out the most -- although the thinning is pretty diffuse all over. What's distressing to me is that the sides don't seem to be growing back at the same rate as the rest of the regrowth. I should also mention that most of my fallout has the clubbed ends (usually white). I haven't gone to the doctor/derm for it yet, but I'm making an appointment this week. What I believe I have is telogen effluvium, yet at the same time, I've heard the Telogen Effluvium can kick start androgenetic alopecia. I'm really kinda freaking out about the thinning at the sides...as I think that may be a symptom of androgenetic alopecia. I've had some scalp tingling and itching (though minor), and today I bought some nizoral. What hurts about this the most, is that I'm a hairdresser. It's extremely painful for me emotionally, and I'm just trying to keep a positive mindset. My question is, is it normal for Telogen Effluvium for the growth to occur at different rates around the head, or to have more loss in some parts of the head than others?