Thinking Of Taking Another Shot At Wearing Hair

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick (or maybe not so quick) backstory: back in January, I got my first-ever system. Suffice it to say that it didn't go very well. It was a poly system that refused to stay glued for any length of time--I'd start sweating profusely about two seconds after I put it on and the glue would just disintegrate. So I'd have to clean it and start over. After about a month of that, the piece was shot to hell and I was tired of spending hours on it. So I gave up and shaved my head. It was too bad--the one (ONE, can you believe it?) time I actually got it to stay put for half a day, I genuinely enjoyed having hair again.

Just before I gave up, I bought a stock lace piece. Never returned it, it's still sitting in the box. So I'm thinking about giving this whole hair system thing another try.

Two questions: 1) will lace/tape work better for a heavy sweater like me than the poly/glue did? 2) Last time I grew my bio hair out for a good couple of months prior to the system. This time I was thinking about attaching it now (I just have a week or two of stubble) and letting the bio hair grow in while wearing the system. So it'll look like an extreme undercut now and later will look somewhat less extreme once the side/back hair grows in. Will this work?

Noah

Reaction score
Definitely if you are a sweaty person lace will work better for you than poly/thinskin. The extreme undercut definitely can work. BaldBearded does that and it looks good. I have noticed a few system vendors now putting similar styles on their websites.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I developed my own method for wearing by trial and error. And that's what I recommend doing. Every person's skin chemistry is different and will react differently to all the glues and tapes out there.

My first attachment was exposed hairline, glue at the front, tape at the back. The maintenance was a nightmare. Removing glue from hair and lace is a huge pain in the *** especially for beginners. I said never again and almost gave up, but since I'd already spent a lot of money and had the system, following some advice from @Noah I decided to try an undercut, unexposed hairline hairstyle similar to @BaldBearded.

And it's the best thing I ever did. I use tape all around (Walker Ultra Hold Mini Tabs). I remove the system every night (I slept one night in my system and never want to do it again) and reattach in the morning using the same tape which is still on the lace, I just spray some rubbing alcohol on my scalp and a light mist on the lace to reactivate the hold. Attaching and slightly styling the system (only "slightly" because there's no bedhead) in the morning takes me no more than a few minutes. Removing it at night takes me 10 seconds.

I remove the tape every 6 days and that's also when I wash and deep condition the system. That whole process takes about 30 minutes. A fresh application of tape means three Walker mini tabs (one pack = 72 tabs). They're quite wide, so I cut them in half to get double the product. That takes me about 15 minutes (every 6 days). The lace is very light and breathable and I can't imagine wearing a poly as I'm very active and sweat like a pig.

At the current rate I can see myself having this system for even a year. I don't sleep in it so I'm really sparing the thing a lot of wear and tear. And the unexposed hairline means that when I brush, I'm brushing down as opposed to up and therefore sparing the v-loops some unnecessary strain. The unexposed hairline also means completely stress-free wearing as I'm not constantly obsessing about how clean and natural the hairline looks.

As for styling and styling products, I just use Chi Argan Oil which is a leave-in conditioner with UV protection and in my case it also doubles as a styling product. I don't have to use anything else aside from a brush and my fingers, not even a blow dryer. I don't have to do that much styling either because as I've already mentioned I don't sleep in the system and therefore avoid bedhead. As for haircuts, I've been cutting and fading my own hair/beard for 10+ years. Can't even remember the last time I went to a hairdresser.

Based on all the videos I watched on Youtube (particularly Curtis from MHE and Sitckonhair), I honestly never thought that wearing a system could be so damn simple and easy.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I developed my own method for wearing by trial and error. And that's what I recommend doing. Every person's skin chemistry is different and will react differently to all the glues and tapes out there.

My first attachment was exposed hairline, glue at the front, tape at the back. The maintenance was a nightmare. Removing glue from hair and lace is a huge pain in the *** especially for beginners. I said never again and almost gave up, but since I'd already spent a lot of money and had the system, following some advice from @Noah I decided to try an undercut, unexposed hairline hairstyle similar to @BaldBearded.

And it's the best thing I ever did. I use tape all around (Walker Ultra Hold Mini Tabs). I remove the system every night (I slept one night in my system and never want to do it again) and reattach in the morning using the same tape which is still on the lace, I just spray some rubbing alcohol on my scalp and a light mist on the lace to reactivate the hold. Attaching and slightly styling the system (only "slightly" because there's no bedhead) in the morning takes me no more than a few minutes. Removing it at night takes me 10 seconds.

I remove the tape every 6 days and that's also when I wash and deep condition the system. That whole process takes about 30 minutes. A fresh application of tape means three Walker mini tabs (one pack = 72 tabs). They're quite wide, so I cut them in half to get double the product. That takes me about 15 minutes (every 6 days). The lace is very light and breathable and I can't imagine wearing a poly as I'm very active and sweat like a pig.

At the current rate I can see myself having this system for even a year. I don't sleep in it so I'm really sparing the thing a lot of wear and tear. And the unexposed hairline means that when I brush, I'm brushing down as opposed to up and therefore sparing the v-loops some unnecessary strain. The unexposed hairline also means completely stress-free wearing as I'm not constantly obsessing about how clean and natural the hairline looks.

As for styling and styling products, I just use Chi Argan Oil which is a leave-in conditioner with UV protection and in my case it also doubles as a styling product. I don't have to use anything else aside from a brush and my fingers, not even a blow dryer. I don't have to do that much styling either because as I've already mentioned I don't sleep in the system and therefore avoid bedhead. As for haircuts, I've been cutting and fading my own hair/beard for 10+ years. Can't even remember the last time I went to a hairdresser.

Based on all the videos I watched on Youtube (particularly Curtis from MHE and Sitckonhair), I honestly never thought that wearing a system could be so damn simple and easy.
Do you think you will stay on this routine for long or it will get tiring at some point?

I think as time goes on I want the reattaching to be as infrequent as possible. It was quite fun in the beginning though :D.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think you will stay on this routine for long or it will get tiring at some point?

I think as time goes on I want the reattaching to be as infrequent as possible. It was quite fun in the beginning though :D.

I can see myself doing this for a long time. It's just 45 minutes of work (tape removal/washing/fresh application of tape) every 6 days. Compared to what guys who use glue/have an exposed hairline go through it's not bad at all. And the comfort of sleeping without a system vs with is priceless (at least for me).

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I can see myself doing this for a long time. It's just 45 minutes of work (tape removal/washing/fresh application of tape) every 6 days. Compared to what guys who use glue/have an exposed hairline go through it's not bad at all. And the comfort of sleeping without a system vs with is priceless (at least for me).
Yeah. I've come to the conclusion that an exposed hairline is pointless. I keep it unexposed on workdays (just the parting and a few cm-s) and only when I party I expose it so it still looks quite ok, because it has been covered the whole week.
Glue holds so long that you don't have to de-re as often, so I think it also saves time.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. I've come to the conclusion that an exposed hairline is pointless. I keep it unexposed on workdays (just the parting and a few cm-s) and only when I party I expose it so it still looks quite ok, because it has been covered the whole week.
Glue holds so long that you don't have to de-re as often, so I think it also saves time.

The biggest lesson for me was that what the salon/technician gives you doesn't have to be the end all be all. On the contrary. That's just the beginning of your journey and it's on you to learn and custom tailor a solution that fits your needs and lifestyle.

I see a lot of guys giving up or about to give up after the first week. I was one of them. And if I had stuck to the traditional glue up front, tape at the back I definitely would have given up. But I decided to experiment until I found a solution that works for me. I mentioned in a different post that I spar a few times a week, so the ability to de-re my system with ease is very important. There's no way I would spar/grapple with a glued on system so in that case I'd be forced to choose between an activity I love and having hair. But thanks to experimenting (and not caring about what the people at the gym think) I worked out a way to have both.

If there's one thing I'd advise against it's getting a poly unit as your first base. I have a very small poly perimeter at the back (it was much wider but after the template cut in most of it disappeared) and I just don't see how that can be comfortable especially if you're a long-term wearer and sweat a lot. Furthermore it seems easy to wear out and destroy. Lace is just so light, breathable, durable and easy to clean/maintain when tape is used. My next system will definitely be all lace.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Laconian, your method sounds ideal for me! I don't have a lot of interest in sleeping in my system--I tried it one night with my poly system and found it kept me awake. Questions: I'm assuming from what you wrote that you're just peeling the system off of your head each night, without the aid of alcohol or anything? Is it painful or difficult? I'm surprised that you're able to do that and yet still have enough adhesive left on the tape to re-attach the next day. Secondly, do you think your method would work for an exposed hairline as well?

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@NYCHairGuy, yeah I'm just peeling it off. Don't even need any rubbing alcohol. Not painful or difficult. Sometimes when the tape becomes too weak in some parts (e.g. at the very back where I'd prefer to have a firm hold at all times), I just cut a small strip of tape and stick it on top of the old tape and then I can get a few more days of wear.

I'm assuming my skin chemistry, unshaven scalp (I never use a razor just a clipper) and my profuse sweating make the system so easy to remove in my case. Also I'm sure the fact that I don't use a lot of tape (nothing in the centre and the walker tabs are cut in half which makes them thinner) also plays a role.

The bond is strong enough for gym, running, cycling, etc. but if you're planning some bedroom action then it's definitely not strong enough for that unless you're careful (e.g. no cow girl where your head is rubbing up against the pillow/mattress -- your system will most likely dislodge) and have a "no head touching" policy with your partner. If you're planning to have bedroom fun then a fresh application of tape that day is necessary for a firm hold and peace of mind.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about having to line it up every day, isn't that a pain? I never do a full removal any more, because it just takes me forever to get the hair back on aligned exactly right.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@deg_dilemma, not at all. It takes me about a minute to attach it in the morning. I don't even have to use a marker for the forehead. I just use a lot of rubbing alcohol on the scalp, let the system plop down, press three fingers against the forehead starting at the top of my eyebrows, and adjust the system accordingly. When I'm satisfied with the positioning, I press hard all around and even out the folds and a few minutes later after the rubbing alcohol has evaporated the hold is good to go for the rest of the day.

@NYCHairGuy, Missed your second question. No, I don't think my method will work for an exposed hairline because the tape is too thick and visible and it's never perfectly aligned with the edge so there's a milimetre or two of lace that's not glued down at my hairline. It's not visible even under closer inspection, but I think with an exposed hairline the paranoia would be too strong.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
@deg_dilemma, not at all. It takes me about a minute to attach it in the morning. I don't even have to use a marker for the forehead. I just use a lot of rubbing alcohol on the scalp, let the system plop down, press three fingers against the forehead starting at the top of my eyebrows, and adjust the system accordingly. When I'm satisfied with the positioning, I press hard all around and even out the folds and a few minutes later after the rubbing alcohol has evaporated the hold is good to go for the rest of the day.

@NYCHairGuy, Missed your second question. No, I don't think my method will work for an exposed hairline because the tape is too thick and visible and it's never perfectly aligned with the edge so there's a milimetre or two of lace that's not glued down at my hairline. It's not visible even under closer inspection, but I think with an exposed hairline the paranoia would be too strong.
Aren't you worried about rubbing alcohol's toxicity?

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Fanjeera, I'm not worried, but anyone who is can just as well spray a light mist from a distance on the tape and get the same effect. There's also Lace Release -- not sure how toxic that is but it works the same just costs a lot more than rubbing alcohol.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

My methods and your have some similarities except I have an exposed hairline (See my old posts for photos). I like low maintenance methods which I learned it from doing a lot of experiments. I have been wearing lace, UTS for 10 months and swap between lace and UTS now. The overall result looks exactly the same for both systems. I thought UTS will make me unconformable during hot summer heat but it turned out there is no issue of wearing UTS even during a 95°F/35°C hot days. I've mentioned why I prefer daily remove in other posts. When I started wearing a hair system, I've follow the majority wearing it for 7-14 days. Personally, I don't like the idea of not being able to wash my scalp daily. Whenever I'm rinsing the hair system while it's on, it's like showering with clothes on or washing my feet with socks on and keep wearing the same socks for 7-14 days. I go to gym 5-6 days per week and sweat a lot. I feel like my sweaty scalp beneath the system isn't getting cleaned at all. I told myself I can live with that method if there's no other options. Fortunately, I've discovered daily (or 2-3 days) remove method and it workout much better for me and I really enjoy sleep without the system and be able to wash and massage my scalp daily. Going this route is much healthier and sanitary for me compared to keeping the system on for weeks.
Just few things I like to add : I've used tapes on the hairline for Lace and UTS systems with a fully exposed hairline. It's totally undetectable too. It just same as using glue for me. I suggest keep experimenting difference methods and products until you found one that fit you the best. Hair System is so much simple than I thought and definitely increased the quality of my life that I wished I would have done it much sooner.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about having to line it up every day, isn't that a pain? I never do a full removal any more, because it just takes me forever to get the hair back on aligned exactly right.

I had a lot of trouble w/ lining things up properly my first week or two.

Then I heard about "repositioning spray" on HairDirect &, instead of ordering, just decided to spray my tape w 91% rubbing alcohol before attaching unit.

The rubbing alcohol temporarily makes the tape non-stick so you can manipulate the system on your head before finding the right spot & letting it settle.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lace Release Spray is used to remove the tape from a hair system. Not sure what is in it.

Repositioning Spray is alcohol + fragrance.

Best bet is 99% alcohol (isopropyl or ethanol), and it's cheaper.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lace Release Spray is used to remove the tape from a hair system. Not sure what is in it.

Repositioning Spray is alcohol + fragrance.

Best bet is 99% alcohol (isopropyl or ethanol), and it's cheaper.

I'm sure, and I agree. but I live rural, jerked-off town that doesn't stock that. 91 is the best!

Is there a big difference between 91 and 99% ?