Thinking Of Switching To Tape & Glue

Jadc007

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need some advice on using tape around the parameter (Sides and Back) and adhesive on the front hair line to obviously save on cost and maintenance time.

I have a few questions

1. How good is tape ? I have a fear of the sides and back just flipping up after I have sweat or just after a couple of weeks
  2. Which tapes are known for the best hold? I have been looking at supertape
  3. I have a PU system, will it be ok to use tape on the side parameter and back ?
Thanks all, really is appreciated.

PS I am loving my new hair, really am :D after 6 weeks

Regards

Jad

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Jad

Good to hear you're a happy man.

The tapes are very strong - stronger than glue. No way your unit is going to "flip up" unexpectedly. I would say 2 weeks is a decent hold though. How long are you keeping your unit on between changes?

In my experience all the tapes sold by the well-known manufacturers in the West do what they promise. I like Walkers No-Shine, and all the Walkers products.

When you say a PU system, you mean thinskin? I think it is risky using long-hold tape on thinskin, because it is very easy to rip the base membrane when you try to remove it. Because the base is impermeable, you can't get behind the tape to weaken the adhesive like you can with lace. I know some people do it, but be careful. Another consideration is that the bases of skin systems make a rustling "plastic bag" noise when touched if they are not completely glued down. That is an additional reason why they are normally applied with a full head glue bond.

Noah

Jadc007

Reaction score
Thanks again for replying,

I am currently keeping it on for 3 weeks at a time and that is with some lift at the back using a full bond.

Regarding the system type, I would have to speak to the company that did it but they kept referring to it as PU which i assume called Polyurethane ? with a courser material at the front hair line (Ahh i am all new to this lol) But when you say plastic bag, i get that effect currently when i push down on the back of the system - So i would say its best not to use tape then ?

Kind regards

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, PU is polyurethane, but there are different grades. Some of them are as fine as onion skin and it would be very risky to put tape on those - there is a good chance you would rip the base membrane when you try to take it off. Best to talk to your supplier about using tape, or you can post a close-up picture of your base the next time you take it off, and we can advise you. Safest to stick with glue (no pun intended) till you are sure.

Hairy bear

My Regimen
Reaction score
I could never find ANY TAPE that would last more than a week, sometimes even a few days.
At one point though I was doing a de-re on my own with tape every Thursday Pretty much until I needed a trim on my bio hair.

But then I tried that again later on a different unit and it was coming off after a couple of days! I think it must be my body chemistry that goes through phases! Consistency would have been great!

Weekly reattaching was fine except for the ‘down time’ not attaching, had that down to 30-45 mins, but the cure time of 24 hrs, no sweating or swimming etc

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jad

Good to hear you're a happy man.

The tapes are very strong - stronger than glue. No way your unit is going to "flip up" unexpectedly. I would say 2 weeks is a decent hold though. How long are you keeping your unit on between changes?

In my experience all the tapes sold by the well-known manufacturers in the West do what they promise. I like Walkers No-Shine, and all the Walkers products.

When you say a PU system, you mean thinskin? I think it is risky using long-hold tape on thinskin, because it is very easy to rip the base membrane when you try to remove it. Because the base is impermeable, you can't get behind the tape to weaken the adhesive like you can with lace. I know some people do it, but be careful. Another consideration is that the bases of skin systems make a rustling "plastic bag" noise when touched if they are not completely glued down. That is an additional reason why they are normally applied with a full head glue bond.

Noah
If tapes are stronger than glue, then why is glue used more? Sorry if this is a naive question but I am still learning regarding hair systems

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If tapes are stronger than glue, then why is glue used more? Sorry if this is a naive question but I am still learning regarding hair systems

Glue is used where the act of removing the tape would potentially harm the unit (UTS), or where a full head bond is required.

With a Viking style, that puts some tension on the edges, I find a full head bond (all glue) lasts longer. However, the cleanup is more involved.

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Glue is used where the act of removing the tape would potentially harm the unit (UTS), or where a full head bond is required.

With a Viking style, that puts some tension on the edges, I find a full head bond (all glue) lasts longer. However, the cleanup is more involved.
So glue lasts longer but tape is stronger and less cleanup is involved?
Thanks for the reply

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So glue lasts longer but tape is stronger and less cleanup is involved?
Thanks for the reply

For me... for some guys, the tape may last longer than the glue. I am now on four days, and I needed to touch up one side of my front hairline (glue) where the edge was coming up, and a "hole", near the back, where my ponytail is, which started to pull (dabbed a bit of glue, between the tape and my scalp.

I find that it's not the tape that comes off the system, it's that it pulls away from my sweaty head.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only have one months experience of wearing hair systems. It's certainly not long enough to suggest anything. So far, I’ve been wearing two difference base systems (French Lace and French Lace with Thin Skin) for almost a month now. In my previous post I've mentioned that I used Walker Lace Front Blue Tape for both sides and adhesive for the front hairline. They all works good in my opinion.

My question here is: The 3rd piece of my hair system (0.06mm thin skin ) just arrive today and I'm worry the blue tape will rip the base when I remove it. I was thinking about switch the tape to Walker 1522 Clear because Walker website said it's less messy and sticky. Anyone have an experience with Walker 1522 tape? Or anyone have any recommendations what kind of tape work best for 0.06mm thin skin base?
Thanks!