Thinking of quitting finasteride, advice please...

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
Well i have been on fincar for about 4 and a half years now, (im 24) and i have noticed over the last year that im not getting morning erections and when i've been with girls it takes longer to get an erection (sometimes watching p**rn my dick literally feels dead :( ) also im not sure if it's because i have put a bit of weight on or me doing weights over the last few years but im a bit worried that i have gynecomastia as with my top off my chest kinda looks weird :dunno: .

I am just looking for some advice i don't know if its all in my head or if i can lower the dosage and sides may decrease?? I don't wanna stop finasteride as i love my hair but theres no way i want a limp dick and a pair of tits!!!!

Advice please ...

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
16 views and no replies?? come on people...

I have pretty much made up my mind to get off the finasteride, i think its also made me quite moody, one other thing i was wondering is if i quit will the sides go on there own or do i need to take any stuff to get me back to normal, replies please, thanks :)

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I suspect your moodiness is due to the other factors you mentioned and probably not the finasteride.

Also, if you've been putting on weight, you probably don't have gyno but "pseudogynecomastia" where it's simply fat giving the appearance of breasts. If you feel hard lumps and any pain or itching on your nipples, then it's gyno.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is run 3 times a week, join a gym, and start lifting heavy weights. Your testosterone levels will shoot through the roof. Mine have. Squats + deadlifts + bench +military press + barbell rows.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say go with Grayman. Sounds a little like you got out of shape/depressed. Nothing like getting in good shape. Also, extra weight can effect your libido. Now, finasteride might not be helping, but try the exercise. Finally, you could always stop for a week and see if it makes a difference. Your hair isn't going to go flying off.

Try the stronglifts.com program.

Ende

Reaction score
You need an aromatase inhibitor. Lack of morning erections indicates a physical problem, and it's because of altered testosterone/estrogen (low/high) ratio. Erectile dysfunction is a SEVERE side effect. You should see a doctor and get hold of Arimidex. Too low estrogen level causes several problems too, among them ED and cracking/aching joints. 0.25 mg a week would be sufficient IMO, definately not more than twice a week. Use zinc for maintenance, when your estrogen level is good. It works as an aromatase inhibitor too, but it's not nearly as strong as Arimidex. It's important to correct the T/E ratio as soon as possible, to avoid severe damage to your endocrine system, and your body in general. It eventually leads to secondary hypogonadism, if untreated.

TGM is right about the "gyno". If it's gynecomastia, it'll hurt like hell when lumps begin to grow.

Edit:
Check your prolactin level too. Estrogen increases prolactin. Prolactin reduces the dopamine level, and it messes with your sexual function. Symptoms are reduced libido, less pleasure during orgasm, increased refractory period after orgasm, and reduced sexual arousal in general.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Enden, Arimidex is an enzemy inhibitor like finasteride. Im not sure its a great option. There are other estrogen supressors that are probably better imo...

obviously you are advocating tiny dosages though so maybe its alrite.

Ende

Reaction score
Finasteride is a reductase inhibitor, and anastrozole is an aromatase inhibitor. They both inhibits enzymes, but that's it. Which estrogen supressors did you have in mind? As far as I know, aromatase inhibitors and steroids (DHT derivates) are your only options. SERM's like tamoxifen doesn't supress estrogen.

It's very important to use small dosages and monitor your blood values, as most AI's are very potent, and too low estrogen level presents several problems.

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds silly but i really dont want to go doctors and explain to someone that i have been on finasteride to stop losing hair and its killed my boner :whistle: can i buy arimidex online cheap without prescription? or could i just lower my finasteride dosage to the minimum??? btw i have been off finasteride for a week now i don't feel any different...

Ende

Reaction score
One week is nothing. I recommend doing a blood test now, if you've decided to quit, and then do another one after 3 months. Arimidex is a prescription drug. It's available through assetchemist.co.uk / hwprescriptionservice.com, but I strongly advice you not to self medicate with this drug. It's very potent, and it's easy to drive your estrogen level too low. When you do, you'll be worse off than you're now. It affects your joints, brain function and sexual function, and it may take several months to recover. I recommend that you use zinc if you won't see a doctor. Use 50 - 100 mg a day. You should get hold of Dostinex and use 0.25 mg twice a week for a month, to deplete your prolactin level, if you have any of the symptoms I described.

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks i have ordered two bottle of zinc capsules, where can i get dostinex without prescription, im in the uk?

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Thisisme373 said:
thanks i have ordered two bottle of zinc capsules, where can i get dostinex without prescription, im in the uk?

unitedpharmacies.co.uk is legit (unfortuantely since that is where i got my finasteride!!:( )

anyway, i wouldn't start taking arimidex (a drug primarily used for women with breast cancer) or cabergoline to reduce prolatin levels without a blood test!

Just go to the doctor, say your hormones are messed up due to finasteride and you would like a blood test. You dont even have to mention sexual function at this stage, just say you got brain fog etc/

Ende

Reaction score
You can get it legally through assetchemist.co.uk / hwprescriptionservice.com.

It's normally prescribed when your prolactin level is above the normal range, and you need something to lower it. Several symptoms of elevated prolactin level should be enough, but I'm sure you're able to figure something out. Prolactin is upregulated by estrogen. Increased estrogen level is the main reason for side effects from finasteride.

Although depleting the prolactin level has no negative effects, a blood test is recommended like Colin says.

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
ok thank you guys, my last question is as i would still like to keep my hair could i go on finasteride but a minimum dosage like once a week or something? or is it best to stay totally off it, i still don't get aroused as easily as before so am thinking if i got perm effects i might as well stay on finasteride :dunno:

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
Thisisme373 said:
ok thank you guys, my last question is as i would still like to keep my hair could i go on finasteride but a minimum dosage like once a week or something? or is it best to stay totally off it, i still don't get aroused as easily as before so am thinking if i got perm effects i might as well stay on finasteride :dunno:

depends,
how much you r interested in having sex?
if u got a little perm side, nothing assure u that things getting worse

i don't want scare u man, but i like that people is aware of all possible risks.

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia said:
Thisisme373 said:

depends,
how much you r interested in having sex?
if u got a little perm side, nothing assure u that things getting worse

i don't want scare u man, but i like that people is aware of all possible risks.
I am very interested in sex, im dating a girl atm and sex should be very soon i don't want to be limp lol might have to order some kamarga

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Thisisme373 said:

unlikely

if youre like me anyway, things would slowly just get worse and worse....

up to you mate.

chances are you'll lose your hair anyway unless u were a great responder to finasteride?

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
Colin297 said:
Thisisme373 said:

unlikely

if youre like me anyway, things would slowly just get worse and worse....

up to you mate.

chances are you'll lose your hair anyway unless u were a great responder to finasteride?
What have things got worse even when you totally came off finasteride??

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have any helpfull info on that question Enden? about if i take finasteride like once a week would i get less sides and would it halt my hair loss????

Ende

Reaction score
It's not a good idea in my opinion. It won't do much for your hair loss, and it'll cause fluctuations in the hormone levels. Forget what I said about Arimidex, it's too damn potent. I recently drove my estrogen level too low with only 0.25 mg a WEEK. Stick with zinc. You won't get any severe side effects from finasteride if you're able to manage the estrogen level. I've been doing so since march this year.

However, I will still recommend quitting finasteride temporary, as it will be easier for you to recover. Try treatment again later, with as much zinc as needed to maintain the testosterone/estrogen ratio.