Thin hair on sides of my head

G

Hey guys, I've been noticing over the past couple of days that the hair on the sides of my head, above the ears and farther back, is looking thin. I know it hasn't gotten any thinner since I Started treatment so I guess it's always been this way, or rather, been this way since I started balding. It's only really noticeable when I lift a patch of hair up on the side or back of my head and expose the scalp, but it kinda freaks me out. When I'm not lifting it up it looks pretty thick all along the sides and back, but when I left it up, I feel like I'm seeing too much scalp.

I hope this doesn't mean that I have the dreaded DUPA(diffuse unpatterned alopecia) which would make my hair untransplantable.

My dad has something similar though. He's basically a diffuse NW5 but he has more scalp showing through on the bottom of the back of his head and sides in the so-called permanent zone than he does in some areas on top of his head. What the f***?

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Hey guys, I've been noticing over the past couple of days that the hair on the sides of my head, above the ears and farther back, is looking thin. I know it hasn't gotten any thinner since I Started treatment so I guess it's always been this way, or rather, been this way since I started balding. It's only really noticeable when I lift a patch of hair up on the side or back of my head and expose the scalp, but it kinda freaks me out. When I'm not lifting it up it looks pretty thick all along the sides and back, but when I left it up, I feel like I'm seeing too much scalp.

I hope this doesn't mean that I have the dreaded DUPA(diffuse unpatterned alopecia) which would make my hair untransplantable.

My dad has something similar though. He's basically a diffuse NW5 but he has more scalp showing through on the bottom of the back of his head and sides in the so-called permanent zone than he does in some areas on top of his head. What the f***?

Actually, I have the same problem. My hair appears extremly thin on the sides. I dont know how long its been like that. I dont really want to start using minoxidil in those areas so not sure what to do about it...

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing... Really, really super thin and I'm pretty sure this rules me out of a hair transplant.

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:

You know Jayman I've noticed that as well as soon as I buzzed my hair down a few months back....though didn't really notice it until it grew back a bit...and then only under close inspection. I think it might be more common than you think and could possibly be more a result of putting every aspect of our hair and heads under the proverbial microscope, so to speak.

In any event...the thicker your side hair is and the more of a contrast in density there is between your sides and your top, the thinner your top will appear so we should consider this as advantageous :)

wtfhair

Reaction score
yeah i have noticed the same thing except my sides are pretty thick but my back has thinned out considerably. maybe its just a generalized thinning but i noticed it happens to people who have the diffuse thinning pattern. 2 months on propecia and spectral DNC and i can honestly say that my hairloss has been halted. i use to shed like crazy now i shed the normal 20-30 hairs in the whole day. but i have noticed i can pull hairs from the back most of em are pretty thick terminal but sum are the minaturized thin looking vellus type. but even that shedding has gone down to almost nonexistant now...but i do shed in the back on occasions i think i shed more there than mytop

zackmcqueen

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember reading in the past in many medical articles (which unfortunately i dont have links to), that for all sufferers of male pattern baldness, whether diffuse or not, that not only does the hair dissapear from the top of the head, but in most cases, the hair that is left around the back and sides does not grow as thick or dense as it used to. I have no idea when this begins to afflict the sufferer, I suppose it is also dependent on the general pattern/severity. But it would explain why so many guys notice that the sides are thinner than they used to be. So I guess in a nutshell this means that even the horseshoe is not completely immune to male pattern baldness, and will be affected and thinned by it to some degree. I have no idea exactly how true or well-researched this is; its just what I have read a few times.

G

WorldofWarcraft said:
Jayman, sounds like you got the full on headwide male pattern baldness. Thank god you got on dutastride and did not f*** around with herbs and finasteride and $#iT.

only time will tell if dutasteride will hold my current hair in place though. it will hold it longer than with no dutasteride i'm sure, but still, bleh, it may not last as long as i hope and think it will. hopefully better treatments come out soon.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
my hair on the sides got thinner. when i used to get haircuts and get that part faded in, it was able to be layered...not anymore. the back of my head thinned out as well.

this all happened in one shot, almost overnight..huge bout with Telogen Effluvium when i was 22. 3 years ago. From then on, my sides and the back of my hair improved but never went back to baseline.