The Return of Doom

Pondle

Reaction score
Wash n' Gone said:
5AR inhibitors do cause birth defects. There is a reason they are for men only and women are not to handle crushed or broken tablets. I have a leaflet that I got with my Propecia that says, to quote directly, "Men should not take Propecia if their partner is Pregnant or they and their partner are trying to have a Baby" - this is the advice from my prescribing pharmacy and also UK health authorities so Merycks own advice (that the risk to a pregnant woman only exists from handling or taking Propecia) isn't universally accepted. The risk is only theoretical and none of the studies can rule it out completely - only confirm that the chances are extremely remote.

I thought that insert about sex precautions was removed from the Propecia info sheet? There's nothing on the last one I had, purchased last year.

The Proscar info sheet:
Exposure to finasteride: risk to male foetus

A small amount of finasteride, less than 0.001% of the 1 mg dose per ejaculation, has been detected in the seminal fluid of men taking 'Propecia'. Studies in Rhesus monkeys have indicated that this amount is unlikely to constitute a risk to the developing male foetus (see Section 5.3).

During continual collection of adverse experiences, post-marketing reports of exposure to finasteride during pregnancy via semen of men taking 1 mg or higher doses have been received for eight live male births, and one retrospectively-reported case concerned an infant with simple hypospadias. Causality cannot be assessed on the basis of this single retrospective report and hypospadias is a relatively common congenital anomaly with an incidence ranging from 0.8 to 8 per 1000 live male births. In addition, a further nine live male births occurred during clinical trials following exposure to finasteride via semen, during pregnancy, and no congenital anomalies have been reported.

Crushed or broken tablets of 'Propecia' should not be handled by women when they are or may potentially be pregnant because of the possibility of absorption of finasteride and the subsequent potential risk to a male foetus. 'Propecia' tablets are coated to prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets are not broken or crushed.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you're all missing the point a bit.

You need to put yourself in the position of the OP, his wife having learned of the general medical advice that men should abstain from taking finasteride while trying to conceive/during pregnancy.

Do you really think it would be a good idea for him to argue with his wife regarding this? i.e., telling her that the risk is marginal, and that he should carry on taking finasteride so that he could maintain his hair?

How do you think she might feel?

Pondle

Reaction score
On the basis of the medical evidence, she'd be worrying about nothing. There is no longer any official advice that men should not take Propecia while their partners are trying to conceive (have a look at the PDF on http://emc.medicines.org.uk/). It was removed from the product information insert.

Intravenous administration of finasteride to pregnant rhesus monkeys at doses as high as 800 ng/day during the entire period of embryonic and foetal development resulted in no abnormalities in male foetuses. This represents at least 750 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen. In confirmation of the relevance of the Rhesus model for human foetal development, oral administration of finasteride 2 mg/kg/day (100 times the recommended human dose or approximately 12 million times the highest estimated exposure to finasteride from semen) to pregnant monkeys resulted in external genital abnormalities in male foetuses. No other abnormalities were observed in male foetuses and no finasteride-related abnormalities were observed in female foetuses at any dose.

BTW, other posters have successfully fathered healthy children while taking Propecia.

G

why not stay away from finasteride for some weeks...get your wife pregnant and then take it again and use condoms?

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
isn't propecia's half-life only 5 or so hours? why not wait one day, conceive, find out if pregnant and if positive, then get back on propecia and abstain from sex for the duration of pregnancy?

s.a.f

Reaction score
The Dr who prescibes my finasteride has had 3 kids on it.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
People sure love to give Taug a lot of sh*t. Is this a hairloss support forum? I swear most people here are obsessed with letting themselves go bald.

G

come on wow, that conversation between taug and his wife was hee-larious.

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
People sure love to give Taug a lot of $#iT. Is this a hairloss support forum? I swear most people here are obsessed with letting themselves go bald.
Most people here are on treatment regimes, so not too many people want to go bald, but a recognition that occasionally there are things in life more important than staving off baldness is no bad thing. I guess a lot of you young guys who don't have families find it difficult to understand why someone would go along with dropping the meds for the sake of the peace of mind of somebody they love. Treating baldness is fine, but losing sight of its relative importance isn't.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wash n' Gone said:
WorldofWarcraft said:
People sure love to give Taug a lot of $#iT. Is this a hairloss support forum? I swear most people here are obsessed with letting themselves go bald.
Most people here are on treatment regimes, so not too many people want to go bald, but a recognition that occasionally there are things in life more important than staving off baldness is no bad thing. I guess a lot of you young guys who don't have families find it difficult to understand why someone would go along with dropping the meds for the sake of the peace of mind of somebody they love. Treating baldness is fine, but losing sight of its relative importance isn't.

Spot on.

I for one really don't want to lose my hair, hence I have come here, taken advice, and am on the big 3 plus Tricomin. I'd not be happy if my male pattern baldness continued to deteriorate, not happy at all. On the other hand, if I became an NW7 overnight, as much as that would suck, it would not be the end of the world (and I've got an enormous forehead, bigger than Taug's!).

A helpful user of a "hairloss support forum" (especially when talking about male pattern baldness, not female hair loss- which is far less socially acceptable!) should try and help other sufferers to understand that it's not the worst condition they could suffer from and that there are situations in life where it's right to drop certain treatments - or perhaps look into others (topical spironolactone, perhaps?).

Even if the risk of harming the baby is one in a billion, it's pure selfishness to put vanity above a loved one's peace of mind.

Besides which, for a man to take interest in his appearance is good; but for a man to obsess about his appearance to this extent is pathetic.

If a group of women were to read the posts of Taug and see pics of him, and I asked them for their opinion of what was most off-putting about him, don't you reckon his obsession with his appearance would be at the top of the list instead of his hair loss? Even if he was slick bald?

Pondle

Reaction score
As far as peace of mind goes, I'd follow medical advice, and that medical advice is that Propecia is totally safe to use while your partner is or maybe become pregnant. Everything else is just paranoia.

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Doom said:
I'm back. It has been a long time since I last posted but I am now in a state of complete crisis, far worse than ever before. A quick review. After a haircut in November of 2005, the thinning hair panic hit me full force. I immediately went on Propecia and used Tricomin and Crinagen sporadically. I was obsessed with my hair for like 5 months and pretty depressed at times. Then in June 2006, I got a haircut I thought was awesome. My hair looked great, I was able to spike it with no real problems. In pictures from summer vacation it looked great. However, I completely stopped using Propecia at the end of May 2006 because my wife insisted because we were going to try to have another kid. My hair looked acceptable for months so I pretty much abandoned any sort of regimen, only using Tricomin And Crinagen her and there. I even stopped using my Laser Comb.

I had another haircut this past Febuary and my hair seemed okay, but all of a sudden, my hair is in horrible shape. There's pretty much a runway on the top of my head. My hairline is fully intact but everything behind it is really thin. It's horrible. My plan is to immediately start finasteride again and stay on it for years, I'm waiting for my 3 month supply of Finpecia to arrive from inhousepharmacy. Any day now. I'm going to start using my Lasercomb at least 3 times a week as oposed to once every other month and I'll be sure to resume MSM. Just for the record, my 2nd beautiful daughter was born in April.

It was a great blunder to not go back on finasteride after conception was achieved. The last time I was on finasteride I thought it really worked for me. But now the summer is here and my hair terrible. I hope it's not too late. I hpe I can regrow what I've lost. I don't understand how my hair seemed to go to hell since my haircut in Febuary in 3 months The insidious nature of diffuse thinning has struck all at once. When I had a haircut in Feburary, the hairdresser told me I had nice thick hair. But now there is a very noticeable difference. Geez ! 3 months ! What the hell happened ???

Personally, I absolutely 100% believe you did the right thing by STOPPING taking Propecia whilst you and your wife were trying for a kid. If I were in your shoes, I would have done exactly the same thing.

Whatever drug/medication you take, it's just not worth taking the risk of damaging your unborn child. The effects on your baby might not be immediate, but you don't how it will be effected later on in life (ie. in terms of cancer, heart attacks, mental disorders etc. etc.) The damage it (may) cause would be completely irreversible.

Even if Propecia was a miracle cure for hairloss and completely restored my hair from a nw6 to a nw1 (or whatever) - I would rather quit using it and loose every single hair on my head, rather than continue taking it and *potentially* risk jeopordising my childs health.

Doom

Reaction score
Stopping the use of Propecia 2 months before trying to have a kid was not the problem. The problem I'm lamenting now is why I never went back on it ! I lost more than 6 months ! I hope the damage to my hair isn't irreversible. Now I'm desperately waiting my Finpecia to arrive from Inhousepharmacy. The wait is killing me !!

I want the finasteride to flow through my veins !!!

G

Yeah, give it to me guys........

Some of you are trying to portray me as a pedophile-like who would sacrify the health of his child for hair. Of course not. But the risk is so ridiculously small particularly if we keep in mind that environment pollution has been proven to be bad for a child´s development yet we don´t see any pregnant women moving to a mountain village with fresh air..... :roll:

I see some guys whining about the woman´s "peace of mind"? What about my peace of mind? AM I nothing? Some people here sound like some pussy obeying to all the orders of their wives. her peace of mind is just stupid paranoia, my peace of mind is my hair, need I tell you how important it is for a male????

I would rather have no children at all than risking the loss of my hair. I couldn´t live without my hair. I would also divorce my wife if she was asking for something that stupid. I would NEVER trade hair for children/marriage. You know, if I was ever to find a woman (very unlikely of course) she would have to accept my obsession. Otherwise we couldn´t live together. I would also expect her to support me in my struggle against male pattern baldness. Doom´s wife did not only not support him, she even ridiculed his problem by telling him to go bald.

G

stampede said:
If a group of women were to read the posts of Taug and see pics of him, and I asked them for their opinion of what was most off-putting about him, don't you reckon his obsession with his appearance would be at the top of the list instead of his hair loss? Even if he was slick bald?

No, they would probably say that I am ugly. My hairloss isn´t the reason I have no success with women.

G

Taugenichts said:
You know, if I was ever to find a woman (very unlikely of course) she would have to accept my obsession. Otherwise we couldn´t live together. I would also expect her to support me in my struggle against male pattern baldness. .

You will almost certainly die alone. No sane woman will accept your hair obsession. You take it to a new level, talking about killing yourself if dutasteride doesn't work for you or whatever. What kind of woman wants to be with someone like that? You are obsessed with perfection, just like your ancestors of 70 years ago, the Nazis.

s.a.f

Reaction score
If Taug was to fall in love and have a woman actually love him back (regardless of his hair) he would soon leave all this hairloss sh*t behind.
I'm sure we all would.

G

s.a.f said:
If Taug was to fall in love and have a woman actually love him back (regardless of his hair) he would soon leave all this hairloss $#iT behind.
I'm sure we all would.

explain then why there are guys on here who are happily married, like hairwegoagain, on regimens.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thats not what I meant. I meant he would no longer see it as a life and death issue. He'd just treat it the same way Hairwegoagain does, (ie not stress about it).

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Yeah, give it to me guys........

Some of you are trying to portray me as a pedophile-like who would sacrify the health of his child for hair. Of course not. But the risk is so ridiculously small particularly if we keep in mind that environment pollution has been proven to be bad for a child´s development yet we don´t see any pregnant women moving to a mountain village with fresh air..... :roll:

I see some guys whining about the woman´s "peace of mind"? What about my peace of mind? AM I nothing? Some people here sound like some p**** obeying to all the orders of their wives. her peace of mind is just stupid paranoia, my peace of mind is my hair, need I tell you how important it is for a male????

I would rather have no children at all than risking the loss of my hair. I couldn´t live without my hair. I would also divorce my wife if she was asking for something that stupid. I would NEVER trade hair for children/marriage. You know, if I was ever to find a woman (very unlikely of course) she would have to accept my obsession. Otherwise we couldn´t live together. I would also expect her to support me in my struggle against male pattern baldness. Doom´s wife did not only not support him, she even ridiculed his problem by telling him to go bald.

Wow..... that was an 'eye opening' read. :shock: You have made some pretty shocking comments there.

No offence - but I hope I never, ever get to the stage where I start obsessing over my hair to that degree.

It makes me wonder if you are actually that obsessed with your hair in real life, or if you just act that way online to provoke reactions from people. :lol:

(P.s. Dunno about everyone else - but I'm not portraying you as a paedophile. Are you sure you fully understand what that word means?!? :? )