The Return of Doom

Doom

Reaction score
I'm back. It has been a long time since I last posted but I am now in a state of complete crisis, far worse than ever before. A quick review. After a haircut in November of 2005, the thinning hair panic hit me full force. I immediately went on Propecia and used Tricomin and Crinagen sporadically. I was obsessed with my hair for like 5 months and pretty depressed at times. Then in June 2006, I got a haircut I thought was awesome. My hair looked great, I was able to spike it with no real problems. In pictures from summer vacation it looked great. However, I completely stopped using Propecia at the end of May 2006 because my wife insisted because we were going to try to have another kid. My hair looked acceptable for months so I pretty much abandoned any sort of regimen, only using Tricomin And Crinagen her and there. I even stopped using my Laser Comb.

I had another haircut this past Febuary and my hair seemed okay, but all of a sudden, my hair is in horrible shape. There's pretty much a runway on the top of my head. My hairline is fully intact but everything behind it is really thin. It's horrible. My plan is to immediately start finasteride again and stay on it for years, I'm waiting for my 3 month supply of Finpecia to arrive from inhousepharmacy. Any day now. I'm going to start using my Lasercomb at least 3 times a week as oposed to once every other month and I'll be sure to resume MSM. Just for the record, my 2nd beautiful daughter was born in April.

It was a great blunder to not go back on finasteride after conception was achieved. The last time I was on finasteride I thought it really worked for me. But now the summer is here and my hair terrible. I hope it's not too late. I hpe I can regrow what I've lost. I don't understand how my hair seemed to go to hell since my haircut in Febuary in 3 months The insidious nature of diffuse thinning has struck all at once. When I had a haircut in Feburary, the hairdresser told me I had nice thick hair. But now there is a very noticeable difference. Geez ! 3 months ! What the hell happened ???

G

I think you were taught a bitter lesson. You may never, never ever get lazy with your regimen! We will have to take this stuff for the rest of our lifes. There is no escape if we don´t want to go bald. Unbelievable that your "wife" forced you to quit finasteride. Typical for women, they have no idea how important hair is for us. Congrats on your daughter though!

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully some will grow back as it was recently lost :)

I can understand your wife wanting you to quit finasteride, what with the theoretical risk to the feotus and the effect on sperm motality. I would do the same if I was wanting to start a family. Just a shame that you lost a lot of ground quickly.

Good luck :thumbs_up:

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
I think you were taught a bitter lesson. You may never, never ever get lazy with your regimen! We will have to take this stuff for the rest of our lifes. There is no escape if we don´t want to go bald. Unbelievable that your "wife" forced you to quit finasteride. Typical for women, they have no idea how important hair is for us. Congrats on your daughter though!

Wife: "Sorry dear, but I'd really like you to stop taking propecia"
Taug: "Why?"
Wife: "Well, we've agreed that we should try for a baby. And I've read that there's a small risk that absorbing the finasteride in your semen could do the foetus harm, and also a bigger risk that it could make your sperm less mobile."
Taug: "But the chance is only really small"
Wife: "I don't care how small it is, I want to give our fertility the best chance and give our baby every chance to be healthy!"
Taug: "But if I stop Propecia, I will lose more hair!! I might go from an NW2.5 to an NW2.837561562!!! Surely this is more important?!" :( :cry:
Wife: "You're kidding, ye?"
Taug: "No I'm not, the baby will end up with more hair than me and I'll be inferior to it!!!!!1" :cry:
Wife: "Disgraceful!"
Taug: "Well, look, actually, if the baby is born with no genitals, at least it won't have any male pattern baldness to worry about!! I mean, it will feel superior all it's life, so I AM giving the baby the best chance by taking it! In fact, I think you should take some as well, looks like you're thinning on the temples a bit too these days, I think you're about an NW1.2145 in fact, and you're thinning in a NW1.62947 pattern! :shock: Do you not feel inferior to all the other women at work and in the street with your thinning hair?"
Wife: <cries>
Taug: "Oh God, all you f***ing women, you just don't understand what it's like, do you?!?! :evil: "

antonio666

Reaction score
doom,

if i had been forced to give up the propecia and i lost ground,i would

1,divorce her

2,make her pay for a transplant if you do not regain what you have lost

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Silly woman putting the health of her unborn child before some scalp hair. What is wrong with her? :lol:

Doom

Reaction score
Yeah, my wife doesn't want to hear anything about hair loss. She thinks it's such a trivial thing and could care less if I went bald. She explicitly said so. In fact, I think she EXPECTS me to go bald as most men seem to eventually. So in a way I'm alone in my struggle because she doesn't want to hear about it. With 2 kids to raise she thinks hair is not on the top of the list of things to worry about.

But hell, I want to be the good looking father that proudly and confidently pushes his kids around the supermarkert in the cart. This girl at work the other day guessed my age as 25-27. I'm 36. If the hair goes, the age guess will probably go in the other direction as balding men look older. I've been very thankful for the hair I have at my age. I want to hold onto it for as long as possible. Hell, I think I'd be happy to make it to 50.

G

stampede said:
Taugenichts said:

Wife: "Well, we've agreed that we should try for a baby. And I've read that there's a small risk that absorbing the finasteride in your semen could do the foetus harm, and also a bigger risk that it could make your sperm less mobile."
Wife: "I don't care how small it is, I want to give our fertility the best chance and give our baby every chance to be healthy!"
Taug: "But if I stop Propecia, I will lose more hair!! I might go from an NW2.5 to an NW2.837561562!!! Surely this is more important?!" :( :cry:
Taug: "No I'm not, the baby will end up with more hair than me and I'll be inferior to it!!!!!1" :cry:
Taug: "Well, look, actually, if the baby is born with no genitals, at least it won't have any male pattern baldness to worry about!! I mean, it will feel superior all it's life, so I AM giving the baby the best chance by taking it! In fact, I think you should take some as well, looks like you're thinning on the temples a bit too these days, I think you're about an NW1.2145 in fact, and you're thinning in a NW1.62947 pattern! :shock: Do you not feel inferior to all the other women at work and in the street with your thinning hair?"
Taug: "Oh God, all you f***ing women, you just don't understand what it's like, do you?!?! :evil: "

:roll:

oh, please tell me, how many babies were born without genitals due to Finasteride? Smoking or bad food is very bad for fertility, but did you ever hear a woman say: "Quit eating at McDonalds, I want a baby!"? I don´t think so. If some b**ch would request that I stop dutasteride because she wants a baby, I would divorce her. Well, no woman would want a baby with me anyways, but this is another topis....

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
stampede said:
Taugenichts said:

oh, please tell me, how many babies were born without genitals due to Finasteride? Smoking or bad food is very bad for fertility, but did you ever a woman say: "Quit eating at McDonalds, I want a baby!"? I don´t think so. If some b**** would request that I stop dutasteride because she wants a baby, I would divorce her. Well, no woman would want a baby with me anyways, but this is another topis....

If you are so vain that you put a few strands of hair above the peace of mind of your wife, and potentially the health of a child, then you don't deserve to have anyone wanting to make babies with you.

Just as well, really, Taug.

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
The risk is so small it is almost non-existent and there are no known cases as far as I know. Doesn't alter the fact that the medical advice in many areas (including the UK) is that you shouldn't have unprotected sex with someone who is or may become pregnant while taking Finasteride. Can you really blame a woman for not wanting to take the tiny risk that their unborn child will be damaged by exposure to finasteride or dutasteride in your semen? It is probably disproportionate and over the top, but understandable given the serious consequences.

powersam

Reaction score
stampede said:
Taugenichts said:
stampede said:
Taugenichts said:

oh, please tell me, how many babies were born without genitals due to Finasteride? Smoking or bad food is very bad for fertility, but did you ever a woman say: "Quit eating at McDonalds, I want a baby!"? I don´t think so. If some b**** would request that I stop dutasteride because she wants a baby, I would divorce her. Well, no woman would want a baby with me anyways, but this is another topis....

If you are so vain that you put a few strands of hair above the peace of mind of your wife, and potentially the health of a child, then you don't deserve to have anyone wanting to make babies with you.

but what you write in your story isnt completely true stampede. there is no chance of birth defects due to finasteride use unless your wife is eating it herself. they injected pregnant monkeys with doses of finasteride 250 times higher than a pregnant woman could get exposed to via sperm etc, and the babies were born perfectly normal.

and though finasteride may decrease the amount of ejaculate produced, all the studies i've read show that there are only very mild decreases in actual male fertility although it may exacerbate existing fertility problems. rabbits being given 4344 times the normal human dose did not develop fertility problems.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
stampede said:
Taugenichts said:
stampede said:
Taugenichts said:

but what you write in your story isnt completely true stampede. there is no chance of birth defects due to finasteride use unless your wife is eating it herself. they injected pregnant monkeys with doses of finasteride 250 times higher than a pregnant woman could get exposed to via sperm etc, and the babies were born perfectly normal.

and though finasteride may decrease the amount of ejaculate produced, all the studies i've read show that there are only very mild decreases in actual male fertility although it may exacerbate existing fertility problems. rabbits being given 4344 times the normal human dose did not develop fertility problems.

I've read the statistics too. Nevertheless, the health authorities in this country at least (UK) recommend abstaining from the use of finasteride when trying to conceive and during pregnancy.

After your partner has learned of this advice, and asks you to give up during her pregnancy, would her peace of mind not trump your vanity? Or would you get out the charts and statistics and try and convince her that, because the risk is so small, you ought to carry on taking it and keep your hair instead?

G

stampede said:
I've read the statistics too. Nevertheless, the health authorities in this country at least (UK) recommend abstaining from the use of finasteride when trying to conceive and during pregnancy.

After your partner has learned of this advice, and asks you to give up during her pregnancy, would her peace of mind not trump your vanity? Or would you get out the charts and statistics and try and convince her that, because the risk is so small, you ought to carry on taking it and keep your hair instead?

LOL, I am expecting my partner to be worried about my peace of mind as well!

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Concern for unborn child > concern for alpha-keratin protrusions from head.

For anyone with any sanity. Always.

G

stampede said:
Concern for unborn child > concern for alpha-keratin protrusions from head.

For anyone with any sanity. Always.

Excuse me but there is no reason to be concerned about an unborn child. Finasteride has never shown to have any influence on a child´s genitals or development(unlike bad food, stress, smoking or environment). It is nothing but female paranoia. There are various factors a woman might do in order to improve the chances for a healthy development (like listening to Mozart all day) before Finasteride becomes relevant.

Btw. I would rather have no children at all before giving up my hair.

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
5AR inhibitors do cause birth defects. There is a reason they are for men only and women are not to handle crushed or broken tablets. I have a leaflet that I got with my Propecia that says, to quote directly, "Men should not take Propecia if their partner is Pregnant or they and their partner are trying to have a Baby" - this is the advice from my prescribing pharmacy and also UK health authorities so Merycks own advice (that the risk to a pregnant woman only exists from handling or taking Propecia) isn't universally accepted. The risk is only theoretical and none of the studies can rule it out completely - only confirm that the chances are extremely remote.

docj077

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about conception as a time when 5AR inhibitors could do damage. I'd worry about weeks 7 through 20 when sexual differentiation and development is at its peak. If your significant other is pregnant, abstain from sex during that time especially if you're taking a drug like finasteride...just to be safe.

I simply haven't read enough about 5AR inhibitors crossing the placenta, and if they do, how high the concentration is once they are in the fetus. I also don't know if 5AR inhibitors are found in male ejaculate and if they survive a journey within the female reproductive system.