The Mystery Of Benoxaprofen And Full Regrowth

jnestor481

Reaction score
So for those not familiar with Benoxaprofen, this was a drug that was sold in the 80s under the name Oraflex to treat arthritis. It’s remembered as a case study in what not to do for pharmacuetical companies. Long story short, some people actually died from it, and others had horrible side effects.

What’s of interest is that there were reported cases of men who had been bald for decades suddenly regrowing their hair. The medical journal that I had read this in didn’t provide pictures, but the description was full regrowth.

So as far as I know, no company tried to dig deeper and see what mechanism of action was at play causing this regrowth.

One theory I heard from someone is that a side effect of the drug was sensitivity to sun light which caused a burn on the scalp raising pge2 levels thus hair growth...eh maybe. In my experience with castor oil (which mimics pge2 to a degree) it’s better for maintenance not regrowth. Totally anecdotal I realize.

So my question is, could there be any value in trying to speculate a connection between Choi’s protein, Cxxc5 and this old drug ? I realize it’s kind of fruitless but then again most of the sh*t that gets talked about here is also. And as a sidenote, I confess I’m a Choi true believer. The science is so solid there has to be something to it.

jnestor481

Reaction score
Oh also I tried Choi’s peptide and it did not work.

Number one, I’m confident that the doseage was not high enough as it would cost a fortune and not used for a long enough amount of time. Two, the peptide is huge and does not penetrate the akin well.

There is a guy who is starting a high doseage for 4-5 months so we’ll see. But even still, the small molecule they are working on will be the real test since it should penetrate a lot easier.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So for those not familiar with Benoxaprofen, this was a drug that was sold in the 80s under the name Oraflex to treat arthritis. It’s remembered as a case study in what not to do for pharmacuetical companies. Long story short, some people actually died from it, and others had horrible side effects.

What’s of interest is that there were reported cases of men who had been bald for decades suddenly regrowing their hair. The medical journal that I had read this in didn’t provide pictures, but the description was full regrowth.

So as far as I know, no company tried to dig deeper and see what mechanism of action was at play causing this regrowth.

One theory I heard from someone is that a side effect of the drug was sensitivity to sun light which caused a burn on the scalp raising pge2 levels thus hair growth...eh maybe. In my experience with castor oil (which mimics pge2 to a degree) it’s better for maintenance not regrowth. Totally anecdotal I realize.

So my question is, could there be any value in trying to speculate a connection between Choi’s protein, Cxxc5 and this old drug ? I realize it’s kind of fruitless but then again most of the sh*t that gets talked about here is also. And as a sidenote, I confess I’m a Choi true believer. The science is so solid there has to be something to it.

There are quite a few drugs that gave hair growth but are now forbidden.Interestingly , like said above most are anti inflammatory and harsh for vital organs On the other side, Some guys had success with sulfasalazine(an anti inflammatory which is available) but again it's too harsh long term and it's not advisable to use it. whats the specific mechanism behind that? would this be that simple to take a potent anti inflammatory supp ?! if so ,obviously it won't get close to these molecules in terms of effectiveness ..

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Full regrowth ? in the 80's and no pics ? Damn that's a shame

Ciclosporin A like peterson mentioned is an immunosuppressant drug and has some effectiveness aswell.
Immune and inflammatory response to DHT, most likely

I pray soft JAK inhibitors are on the right pathway to block this f*****g chain reaction, could be a f*****g miracle like those AA cases or a fart in the wind for Androgenetic Alopecia, still no news

Last edited:

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Number one, I’m confident that the doseage was not high enough as it would cost a fortune and not used for a long enough amount of time. Two, the peptide is huge and does not penetrate the akin well.

There is a guy who is starting a high doseage for 4-5 months so we’ll see. But even still, the small molecule they are working on will be the real test since it should penetrate a lot easier.
Yeah, I know him. You are correct about all those things- maybe it just needs to be a smaller molecule at a higher dose, but whatever they used in the study did not work

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Full regrowth ? in the 80's and no pics ? Damn that's a shame

Ciclosporin A like peterson mentioned is an immunosuppressant drug and has some effectiveness aswell.
Immune and inflammatory response to DHT, most likely

I pray soft JAK inhibitors are on the right pathway to block this f*****g chain reaction, could be a f*****g miracle like those AA cases or a fart in the wind for Androgenetic Alopecia, still no news
CSA needs to be taken orally in very high doses in order to cause hair growth, and often at those doses side effects are awful

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
CSA needs to be taken orally in very high doses in order to cause hair growth, and often at those doses side effects are awful

Yep, it's not viable at all, just like every immunosuppressive drugs so far
They all have pletor of sides, and long term is not even on table

Immune system is still very plausible, as for inflammation comes from an immune reaction or they are totally on separate pathways...who knows

Medecine unfortunatly knows jack sh*t about our immune system, they still don't know where allergies come from in the first place...

Last edited:

HairlossCurse

Reaction score
It is a strong inhibitor of arachidonic acid which goes on to form COX1 and COX2 and prostaglandins. Maybe someone can test a safer arachidonic acid inhibitor and see if they get any results. It took 3 months for beno to work though so will take a while.

Photon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No improvement with Choi and VPA so far because it's only been 7 days. But one needs to be careful when using VPA because it's very strong and feels toxic. I'm just praying this works for the price.

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are quite a few drugs that gave hair growth but are now forbidden.Interestingly , like said above most are anti inflammatory and harsh for vital organs On the other side, Some guys had success with sulfasalazine(an anti inflammatory which is available) but again it's too harsh long term and it's not advisable to use it. whats the specific mechanism behind that? would this be that simple to take a potent anti inflammatory supp ?! if so ,obviously it won't get close to these molecules in terms of effectiveness ..

Which guys had success with sulfasalazine? I have a ton. But I am on finasteride my hair doesn’t fall anymore. But half an inch on the hairline would be nice. I was worried if I took the sulfa it would cause my hair to fall instead

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is a strong inhibitor of arachidonic acid which goes on to form COX1 and COX2 and prostaglandins. Maybe someone can test a safer arachidonic acid inhibitor and see if they get any results. It took 3 months for beno to work though so will take a while.

Any COX inhibitor will decrease your pge2, any heavy cox2 inhibitor may probably induce more hair loss.
Cox inhibitors are really not a good way to go.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Consume black pepper. It contains pipeline ,a type of alkaloid which has immunosuppressive effects and antioxidant effect. According to some it also inhibit 5 alpha reductaze activities which converts T to DHT. I am not doing it BC I am not so fond of chemical methods.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
The above mentioned drug ,I never heard about it before . it would be better if someone had figure out the way it grows hair back. Sadly FDA is obstacle in many ways.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
No improvement with Choi and VPA so far because it's only been 7 days. But one needs to be careful when using VPA because it's very strong and feels toxic. I'm just praying this works for the price.
Did you end up getting my Choi..?

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Consume black pepper. It contains pipeline ,a type of alkaloid which has immunosuppressive effects and antioxidant effect. According to some it also inhibit 5 alpha reductaze activities which converts T to DHT. I am not doing it BC I am not so fond of chemical methods.

Seriously....and you have 557 message there ? Any other advice....doing some scalp massages and taking Saw palmetto ? Please be serious and stop dreaming....