The Most Scalp Friendly (least Drying) Minoxidil?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why are you arguing the benefits of Keto so much, you've heard of the big 3 right? So you support the big 2, minoxidil and finasteride, but you've personally decided everyone else who uses keto is stupid and wasting their time/money, right?

Because youre not understanding the enormous difference in effectiveness between min/finasteride, and keto. finasteride alone may well fix a persons hair problems for life. Min alone has a decent shot to add hair and maintain for many years. These shampoos on their own are either going to do nothing, or next to nothing. Sure they might help slightly and give the hair a fuller appearance. But as a primary treatment for hair loss its bad advice.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because youre not understanding the enormous difference in effectiveness between min/finasteride, and keto. finasteride alone may well fix a persons hair problems for life. Min alone has a decent shot to add hair and maintain for many years. These shampoos on their own are either going to do nothing, or next to nothing. Sure they might help slightly and give the hair a fuller appearance. But as a primary treatment for hair loss its bad advice.

I understand the difference perfectly, I never said Keto was as effective as minoxidil/finasteride.
And we're back to me pointing out again that the original poster was talking about "maintaining" what hair they have with RU, and all I originally said about Revita was it would make the hair "appear thicker", as well as being a popular shampoo for hair loss.
So to be clear Yetti, we are talking about the orignal poster "maintaining" what they have with RU, and making hair "look thicker" by using Revita.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

So true. What people don't know is that the FDA studied the prescribed dosage of keto 2% does help, but 1% does
nothing.

The following government is about a topical called NuH. That is a topical formula combining Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Keyto (2% strength). Although fifteen men used Finasteride (topical) mixed with Minoxidil, and
keto 2% shampoo, however, it does not say if the Finasteride combined with Minoxidil did most of the work, which I suspect
is true. All fifteen men responded with good regrowth.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3262531/

Keyto does more as an anti inflammatory agent. Again it was the prescription dosage, not the US market 1% dosage.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
all I originally said about Revita was it would make the hair "appear thicker", as well as being a popular shampoo for hair loss.
So to be clear Yetti, we are talking about the orignal poster "maintaining" what they have with RU, and making hair "look thicker" by using Revita.

Actually here's what you said, it's right in the thread!

Revita is known to "delay" hair loss. Take a look at the ingredients, it does delay hair loss

and that's very true for min and finasteride, while its only very slightly true or not true at all for Revita. And at the same time you're advising the poster to avoid min because of shedding. Terrible advice.

BTW in answer to your saying that I'm just justifying what I take... I don't take finasteride, only min, because I dont want to deal with the possible side effects of finasteride. But for sure finasteride is very effective for a lot of people, and indeed many people seem to take it without significant side effects.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually here's what you said, it's right in the thread!

Revita is known to "delay" hair loss. Take a look at the ingredients, it does delay hair loss

....its only very slightly true or not true at all for Revita. And at the same time you're advising the poster to avoid min because of shedding. Terrible advice.

For f***s sake you just want to argue don't you. I said that as a direct reply to you, not as my advice to the poster! You had said "what in the world makes you think Revita delays hairloss". So I explained my thoughts as you asked. But as far as my advice to the poster was simply:
- Mix RU into Stemox to avoid using minoxidil.
- Revita will "thicken" their hair.
And yes I'm advising to avoid minoxidil because of shedding, once again I'll point out IT ONLY WORKS FOR 40% OF PEOPLE!!!!!!!
I will try and find the forum poll I saw recently on "Did you regrow what you shed on minoxidil". The results were almost 50/50 split yes/no.
So there's a 50/50 chance with minoxidil your hair may get better or worse. Whether anyone is willing to take that chance is entirely their own choice. You may get lucky, you may not.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
So true. What people don't know is that the FDA studied the prescribed dosage of keto 2% does help, but 1% does
nothing.

I'm sure you're right that the higher strength is more effective. But Ketoconazole removes/cleans away sebum, no matter how strong it must still do this to some extent, maybe the 2% will be twice as effective at doing so, but 1% must do something also.
Ok the FDA studied 2%, where's the study that shows 1% does nothing?
Also, as it says in you're post, I'm sure minoxidil and finasteride did most of the work, how can they judge the effectiveness of Keto when it's being used alongside minoxidil and finasteride? And the study was only of 15 men?!

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
minoxidil does not cause 50% of people to shed hair that they never grow back, thats nonsense. If you use minoxidil and stop it, youll grow back the hair you lost to the shed, minus the hair you would have lost anyway due the the progression of hair loss. One can find anecdotes of people swearing that they lost more than they should have and anything is possible, but basically this is the case. And its proven and there are sound scientific reasons for it. Your portraying it as a 50/50 gamble where you can just as easily lose as much as you gain is once again BS. I can see now why youre so against it though, if what you currently believe were true it wouldnt be worth it to take it, obviously.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil does not cause 50% of people to shed hair that they never grow back, thats nonsense. If you use minoxidil and stop it, youll grow back the hair you lost to the shed, minus the hair you would have lost anyway due the the progression of hair loss. One can find anecdotes of people swearing that they lost more than they should have and anything is possible, but basically this is the case. And its proven and there are sound scientific reasons for it. Your portraying it as a 50/50 gamble where you can just as easily lose as much as you gain is once again BS. I can see now why youre so against it though, if what you currently believe were true it wouldnt be worth it to take it, obviously.

So true. But without an anti DHT medication, the effects will only last a few years. It's 25% more density, at best.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
One can find anecdotes of people swearing that they lost more than they should have and anything is possible...
if what you currently believe were true it wouldnt be worth it to take it, obviously.

You may be right, I've read around too much and it's always the bad reviews that stand out.
Also I found the poll I was talking about, it's on this forum, and now see it only has 12 votes, so I shouldn't use that as a reference, and it's since changed to 66% yes, 33% no:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/rogaine-mistake-and-rogaine-alternatives.99543/

As far as I understand minoxidil synchronises your hair follicles to all grow at the same time, so you get shedding at first while they synchronise, or again if you stop using as they desynchronise again. But also may have a big shed once a year or so when the synchronised hairs start shedding at the same time (but then grow back again).

So if that's true maybe you're right and shed hair would grow back to normal if you stopped using minoxidil. But personally I can't put myself through the stress of watching my hair shed before it grows back, risk the supposed face ageing some people report, and if it's only a temporary fix that only lasts a few years then it's not worth it to me.

I will stop advising people not to use Minoxidil, there are plenty reviews out there they can read on their own and make their own choice without the need of me scaring them off it. I was just giving my personal opinions that's all. Mainly the reason I was advising against using minoxidil is because of reviews/stories I've read of people who had only the tiniest bit of receding that used minoxidil and they said it made their hair loss worse. (These may have been people who shed hair but hadn't waited for it to grow back before reviewing). Knowing how bad my own hair is, I think people who only have a tiny bit of receding in their 30s are very lucky and didn't want people to chance ruining their hair if it's not necessarily that bad in the first place.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Reasonable post.

So I am curious... if you continue to use Revita for a few months or year and see that youre continuing to lose hair, do you think you might reconsider finasteride or min?
Based on your posts I think Revita wont help, and also min alone would need to be supplemented after a year or two, I agree with that. Looks like a good case for finasteride if youre willing to try it.
My situation is that i am a bit older than you, and have less aggressive hair loss. Basically a slowly growing bald spot and slowly receding hairline. Min alone has been very effective for me in both places over the 1+ years ive been taking it. id agree that with diffuse and aggressive loss it might not be enough on its own (but certainly revita wont be).

id note that although i only use it once a day, i make sure to never miss an application, maybe only once or twice. many people who post about minoxidil not working also mention that they miss applications, take breaks etc. i wouldnt expect it to be effective at all with missed applications of any frequency.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Reasonable post.

So I am curious... if you continue to use Revita for a few months or year and see that youre continuing to lose hair, do you think you might reconsider finasteride or min?
Based on your posts I think Revita wont help, and also min alone would need to be supplemented after a year or two, I agree with that. Looks like a good case for finasteride if youre willing to try it.

I'm sure I will continue to lose hair if I'm just using Revita, I don't expect it to stop my hair loss on its own. I still don't think I'll consider minoxidil or finasteride though, definitely not finasteride.
I'm considering things like Stemoxydine, adenosine and copper peptides.
Also I've been under a huge amount of stress recently so I'm going to try lowering my levels of stress hormone cortisol.
And Im waiting for Zinc blood test results to see if I'm deficient, but plan to take Zinc as I read most balding men are low in Zinc.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wish you luck. It sounds to me that you need finasteride, but I understand why you dont want to take it, as I dont either. But I think to not take it and be realistic, one has to accept that one is pretty likely to keep losing hair over time, especially if not taking minoxidil.