The Most Scalp Friendly (least Drying) Minoxidil?

INT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was considering trying RU and dissolving it in minoxidil. Unfortunately I see that almost al minoxidil versions have a drying vehicle like ethanol in it.
What is the least drying version of minoxidil available?

PS: I still have a relatively big amount of hair (long and curly) so application could potentially be a b**ch for me.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you starting minoxidil if you still have a relatively big amount of hair as you said? You know about the shedding right? You could make your hair worse!
If you're wanting to use RU (I have no opinion on whether you should or not), I've read a lot of people mix it in Stemoxydine (serioxyl or garnier fructis Stemoxydine). The Stemoxydine may/may not work on its own, but it definitely won't cause any shedding like minoxidil will.
From what I've read though the reason people use Stemoxydine products to mix RU in is because of its alcohol content makes it the perfect vehicle to mix the RU in. And it's the same with minoxidil, they all contain alcohol, it evaporates quickly off the scalp leaving the active ingredients behind.
I would suggest getting some Stemoxydine and testing it on your arm over a few days to see if you have a bad reaction to the alcohol before you put it on your scalp.

INT

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

I still have a relatively big amount of hair as in, I can style it in a way that it looks like I am not balding. This ishowever quite a big difference compared to style it like I always did a few years ago. In other words, I just need a thickening boost for my front to make my hair look better again. That is why i wanted to add minoxidil because it seems like RU in most cases does not do more than just maintain.

Never heard of Stemoxydine, had a brief look but it does not look like a lot of people have had much success with it. Will definitely research it a bit more though.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

I just need a thickening boost for my front to make my hair look better again. That is why i wanted to add minoxidil because it seems like RU in most cases does not do more than just maintain.

Maintaining what you have now for the rest of your life would be better than risking losing more with minoxidil wouldn't it?
As you said you just need a thickening from what I've read Stemoxydine should definitely at the least make the existing hairs you have thicker.
You could also use a shampoo that makes your hair thicker/appear thicker. I believe the DS Labs Revita shampoo is supposed to do that. It's a very popular anti hair loss shampoo.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maintaining what you have now for the rest of your life would be better than risking losing more with minoxidil wouldn't it?
As you said you just need a thickening from what I've read Stemoxydine should definitely at the least make the existing hairs you have thicker.
You could also use a shampoo that makes your hair thicker/appear thicker. I believe the DS Labs Revita shampoo is supposed to do that. It's a very popular anti hair loss shampoo.

So you're recommending things that very likely do nothing, and saying the poster should completely avoid one of the only products that does work, Minoxidil. For whatever its worth I've been using minoxidil and only minoxidil for over a year and I have a lot more hair than when I started. I'm glad that I consulted a reputable doctor rather than these boards when I made my decision on what treatment to take...

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you starting minoxidil if you still have a relatively big amount of hair as you said? You know about the shedding right? You could make your hair worse!
If you're wanting to use RU (I have no opinion on whether you should or not), I've read a lot of people mix it in Stemoxydine (serioxyl or garnier fructis Stemoxydine). The Stemoxydine may/may not work on its own, but it definitely won't cause any shedding like minoxidil will.
From what I've read though the reason people use Stemoxydine products to mix RU in is because of its alcohol content makes it the perfect vehicle to mix the RU in. And it's the same with minoxidil, they all contain alcohol, it evaporates quickly off the scalp leaving the active ingredients behind.
I would suggest getting some Stemoxydine and testing it on your arm over a few days to see if you have a bad reaction to the alcohol before you put it on your scalp.

I wish that when I first started losing hair, and still had a lot, that someone would've told me to get on minoxidil/big 3 ASAP. I had no one to tell me this, I learned the hard way.

In other words, don't encourage people to wait until they're f*king bald beyond repair to start using hair loss drugs. By now everyone should know that the best responders are those who start it early.

Thread starter, if you know you're losing hair, do not listen to people who tell you that you'll be fine and to wait it out. Worst thing you can do. Best thing you can do is start as soon as you catch it.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thread starter, if you know you're losing hair, do not listen to people who tell you that you'll be fine and to wait it out. Worst thing you can do. Best thing you can do is start as soon as you catch it.

Yes, and then make sure you take medications that actually work. And here they are: minoxidil, finasteride. (I opted to avoid the finasteride, but it works.)

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok sorry people I understand minoxidil works fine for some with no side effects but you also can't deny that some have also come off worse after trying it, shed more hair.
I just think for someone who still has a decent amount of hair if they could prevent/stop further hair loss without minoxidil then that would be better than trying to regrow hair with minoxidil risking making hair loss worse.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you're recommending things that very likely do nothing, and saying the poster should completely avoid one of the only products that does work, Minoxidil.

INT said they just wanted a thickening boost. I recommended Stemoxydine and Revita as they definitely thicken your hair/make it appear thicker. Revita would also delay hair loss.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
INT said they just wanted a thickening boost. I recommended Stemoxydine and Revita as they definitely thicken your hair/make it appear thicker. Revita would also delay hair loss.

Why in the world would you think that Revita will delay hair loss, while the poster should avoid minoxidil? It's the opposite, and any medical doctor will tell you that.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why in the world would you think that Revita will delay hair loss

Because Revita is known to "delay" hair loss. Take a look at the ingredients, it does delay hair loss and most people will agree. It may not regrow hair like minoxidil is supposed to, but delaying it a little and making it look thicker is all I was saying it would do, as the original poster said they wanted a thickening boost.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What in the ingredients in Revita delays even a single hair from falling out? I looked in the ingredients and I don't see either of the two that are proven to do that: minoxidil and finsteride. I dont think most people here, and certainly most doctors, would agree with your claim.

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Use Kirkland brand 2% liquid to start..buy off amazon cheap...if you see some results you can then move up to 5% . I've yet to see results on here with ru use...waste of time.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Show me where the FDA says that ketoconazole does absolutely anything for hair loss.
Honestly I can't be bothered, I'm not trying to prove it to you. You know the FDA are only applicable in the US right. And if something is sold as a cosmetic product it doesn't need FDA approval unlike medical products.
Research it yourself but it is well known Ketoconazole cleans sebum from the scalp, and the sebum kind of traps in dht so by removing sebum you are removing some dht from scalp.
Honestly you are only fooling yourself if your trying to say Ketoconazole does nothing.
There are also studies on the other ingredients that show they do have an effect on hair loss. Why don't you google Ketoconazole and hair loss, and at the same time google "apple polyphenol" and "copper peptides". I'm sure you and many will say peptides do nothing but there have been studies that show they do have an effect on hair loss.

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score

Er, all this actually says is Ketoconazole may have an effect on hair loss in theory, but there have been no scientific tests to prove it. It doesn't say it doesn't work. And I'm sure if I could be bothered to do it again I could find some brilliant info that states it definitely does help, but I can't be bothered, im not trying to prove it to you. You clearly won't accept anything can help hair loss other than minoxidil or finasteride, obviously because you want to justify your use of them over anything else, which is fine is they work for you, but please try to accept that there may be other things in the world that help other than penis killing finasteride, and face ageing hair shedding minoxidil, which may only work for 40% of men.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You are a very new member to this board so I forgive you for not being that informed. But I can tell you that what you see here, year after year, are people posting photos of themselves and the hair they have regrown and maintained using minoxidil and finasteride, and that's it. I'm not saying Nizoral shampoo and others containing keto might not help a little, but thats it, a little. Here's your advice to the poster, and its terrible:

Revita, which you have never used and know very little about, right? yet you are advising it as a primary treatment... has no chance at "maintaining what you have now for the rest of your life". You just dont know what you are talking about. How much hair have you personally maintained over a long period of time using keto?

Cuddly Dave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's your advice to the poster, and its terrible:

Revita, which you have never used and know very little about, right? yet you are advising it as a primary treatment... has no chance at "maintaining what you have now for the rest of your life". You just dont know what you are talking about.

Actually if you read my post properly, the original poster had said they were thinking of using RU, and they said "RU in most cases does not do more than just maintain". And I was replying to that when I said the whole "maintaining what you have now for the rest of your life would be better..."

Why are you arguing the benefits of Keto so much, you've heard of the big 3 right? So you support the big 2, minoxidil and finasteride, but you've personally decided everyone else who uses keto is stupid and wasting their time/money, right?