The Morality Of Consent When It Comes To Herpes?

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Recently I found out that I'm an asymptomatic carrier of HSV (herpes).

Legally I don't have to tell anyone, but morally, should I?

Clearly someone didn't tell me (a woman) otherwise I wouldn't have the virus.

I'm just a little unsure right now of what I should do. Its just a cosmetic illness anyway. Apparently 60% of the population in America get them on their lips - and 15% get them on their genitals.

Anyway, should I tell people or just wear a condom?

(apparently I can still pass it even though asymptomatic - but the odds are very small).

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Recently I found out that I'm an asymptomatic carrier of HSV (herpes).

Legally I don't have to tell anyone, but morally, should I?

Clearly someone didn't tell me (a woman) otherwise I wouldn't have the virus.

I'm just a little unsure right now of what I should do. Its just a cosmetic illness anyway. Apparently 60% of the population in America get them on their lips - and 15% get them on their genitals.

Anyway, should I tell people or just wear a condom?

(apparently I can still pass it even though asymptomatic - but the odds are very small).
Don't you wish the person who gave it to you would have told you they had it before they slept with you? I know I would.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't they have dating sites for people with STDs? That's probably the route I would go

I would likely have a moral problem with it otherwise, a struggle with my conscience

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't you wish the person who gave it to you would have told you they had it before they slept with you? I know I would.
I'd prefer they did, but its not a big deal to me because I have no symptoms.

I get why a woman wouldn't because of stigma - maybe someone wouldn't sleep with them because they have a virus.

I know legally you have to do it with HIV and a few others - I think even hpv - but because its not a health risk the medical board don't classify hsv as a must inform.

I'm actually thinking about mentioning it - but I may use the word cold sore over herpes (even though I actually have hsv - but not herpes itself).

Its a strange one.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I'd prefer they did, but its not a big deal to me because I have no symptoms.

I get why a woman wouldn't because of stigma - maybe someone wouldn't sleep with them because they have a virus.

I know legally you have to do it with HIV and a few others - I think even hpv - but because its not a health risk the medical board don't classify hsv as a must inform.

I'm actually thinking about mentioning it - but I may use the word cold sore over herpes (even though I actually have hsv - but not herpes itself).

Its a strange one.
As you get older and if your immune system gets weaker, you could be more likely to present with symptoms. Hopefully you never spread it to your eye. You need to be very careful with oral sex with women who have herpes or chlamydia. Just be careful now who you sleep with. Not every women will be honest with you.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
As you get older and if your immune system gets weaker, you could be more likely to present with symptoms. Hopefully you never spread it to your eye. You need to be very careful with oral sex with women who have herpes or chlamydia. Just be careful now who you sleep with. Not every women will be honest with you.
I will.

I'm not sleeping around for sex anymore - but will still date while I look for a long term partner.