The Itch, At The End Of My Sanity Please Help

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tried the following, over the past year

Nizoral (1% & 2%) irritates the scalp
T/Sal (Did not help)
Head & Shoulders (minor scalp irritation, and did not reduce the itch)
Tea Tree Oil (Did not help)
Various suggestions about Coconut Oil, Vinegar, and Mayonnaise

In addition, the dermatologist had me use Clobetasol foam for a while to get the major irritation under control. Not a long term solution, so he prescribed Ciclopirox, but this did not help. He identified it as seborrheic dermatitis, both my scalp and eye brows are flaky. I have a very oil t-zone.

Excedrin provides some relief, as did Benadryl. Though I can't take those every day, especially Excedrin. I need my liver.

Now trying T/Gel. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

T/Sal (Did not help)

In addition, the dermatologist had me use Clobetasol foam for a while to get the major irritation under control. Not a long term solution, so he prescribed Ciclopirox, but this did not help. He identified it as seborrheic dermatitis, both my scalp and eye brows are flaky. I have a very oil t-zone.

Excedrin provides some relief, as did Benadryl. Though I can't take those every day, especially Excedrin. I need my liver.

Now trying T/Gel. Any other suggestions?[/QUOTe . Try a.sea salt scrub

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Don’t want to ruin your day.. but I’ve had the itch and scalp inflammation non stop for the past 7 years and 5 of which were and are terrible. I’ve tried everything you have including Steroid injections, prp, seti, dutasteride at high doses, cyproterone, spironolactone (gave me hives), doxycycline( POW dose and 150mg), sulfa etc... not one thing has cut it down. I get athletes foot from time to time as well so the next step you can take is an oral anti fungal like itraconazole. Goodluck man, life sucks

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m in this boat man. I cannot beat the inflammation/itchiness.

Out of interest, did you still shed despite dutasteride and stuff?

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
No, no shedding but the itch is terrible. Some days it puts me at the end of my rope

NarWhal7

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
May be a silly thing to bring up but, is the itch caused by minoxidil?
The Kirkland liquid minoxidil 5% brand makes me itch but other brand does not. Others have reported the same.

You could try introducing some 0.5mm - 1mm dermarolling

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be your diet. My itch goes crazy if I eat cheese fried foods grains or chicken.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
Could be your diet. My itch goes crazy if I eat cheese fried foods grains or chicken.

Maybe, and this is a good point. I do like dairy, and grilled chicken. To the other poster, I haven't used minoxidil in several years

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if hard water is something that could be a cause. It's the only common denominator amongst all the things I've tried.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try washing my hair with the same eczema shampoo (free of SLS, SLES, parabens, etc.) I've been using, and distilled water.

I bought a water softener for the shower as well but that won't be here for a few days.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your doctor should have gotten this under control, so it's time to find a new one.

Jimm

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

T/Sal (Did not help)

Now trying T/Gel. Any other suggestions?

Highly recommend getting some peppermint oil and applying to target areas with a swab. You can diliute with water if you feel necessary, but I don't think you'll find it so. It's incredible how relieving the menthol effect is for the itch and, honestly, the smell of peppermint isn't really much to complain about. Even if you can't apply during the day, you can use it when you can to get some relief.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had pizza yesterday so now my scalp is itching like mad..so I can relate.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Far be it from me to suggest this drug, but perhaps if you cut down the seborrhoea with a course of low dose accutane, you may see a reduction? Accutane has its own sides, too including shedding though

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The itch and burning is 100% psychosomatic. That's why nothing will work if you treat the physical symptoms. The only way to get under control is to stop freaking out and paying attention to hairloss

I had this for a full year and it drove me crazy. I realized it was psychosomatic when the only thing that would work were Benzos which pretty much shut down the brain activity

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The itch and burning is 100% psychosomatic. That's why nothing will work if you treat the physical symptoms. The only way to get under control is to stop freaking out and paying attention to hairloss

I had this for a full year and it drove me crazy. I realized it was psychosomatic when the only thing that would work were Benzos which pretty much shut down the brain activity

Omg I just got chills on my arm when I read that - I notice my itch returns when I’m having an anxiety attack, which in NYC is every day. It’s not unheard of - lots of psoriasis and eczema patients report flare ups during periods of stress. With that said, I do get bad build up, but then again, even when my skin was oilier than the BP spill travelling through India and South East Asia this summer I had no itch and no build up no matter what I added to my hair - min/ oil/ gel.

Last edited:

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but then again, even when my skin was oilier than the BP spill travelling through India and South East Asia this summer I had no itch and no build up no matter what I added to my hair - min/ pil/ gel.
That's probably because you were travelling and more relaxed.

Same thing would happen to me. The symptoms would disapear when I was on vacation and return when I got back to the city

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's probably because you were travelling and more relaxed.

Same thing would happen to me. The symptoms would disapear when I was on vacation and return when I got back to the city
Indeed. While I have you here, can you tell me about adding Dutasteride? I don't really think finasteride is helping me reverse miniaturization at all. Did Dutas help you? I am terrified of aggravating things by adding a new drug.