The Itch, At The End Of My Sanity Please Help

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed. While I have you here, can you tell me about adding Dutasteride? I don't really think finasteride is helping me reverse miniaturization at all. Did Dutas help you? I am terrified of aggravating things by adding a new drug.
You can see my story here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/my-6-months-results-with-dutasteride.91981/

Got some regrowth within the first year (4 years ago) than maintained pretty much ever since. I don't know if it's the dutasteride or finasteride since I'm taking both

Reactions: KSA

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can see my story here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/my-6-months-results-with-dutasteride.91981/

Got some regrowth within the first year (4 years ago) than maintained pretty much ever since. I don't know if it's the dutasteride or finasteride since I'm taking both

oh my goodness! didn’t realise - I’ve saved you as an inspo!! Well done dude! We have a similar pattern. I have a bit of a complex case. When I was 20 I was put on Flutamide which is a very powerful anti androgen - why this was the case? I’m not sure. Obviously it worked, but it’s been hell the last two years that I’ve come off of it. I’m not expecting miracles on a lower regimen, but I am expecting some kind of stability if that is even possible at this point. TBD

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
oh my goodness! didn’t realise - I’ve saved you as an inspo!! Well done dude! We have a similar pattern. I have a bit of a complex case. When I was 20 I was put on Flutamide which is a very powerful anti androgen - why this was the case? I’m not sure. Obviously it worked, but it’s been hell the last two years that I’ve come off of it. I’m not expecting miracles on a lower regimen, but I am expecting some kind of stability if that is even possible at this point. TBD
Who put you on flutamide at such a young age?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Who put you on flutamide at such a young age?
Honestly, I’d love to sue but the doctor is dead now. He was an endocrinologist who was regularly prescribing Flutamide to female patients with acne/hair loss/PCOS. To make it less jarring, I knew some of his other patients on Flutamide very well. It’s not so messy with women from what I’ve understood, but in any case it was an abuse of medication. i was sold on this BS hyperandrogenic disorder he diagnosed me with and when I saw results so quickly I wasn’t really going to protest.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, I’d love to sue but the doctor is dead now. He was an endocrinologist who was regularly prescribing Flutamide to female patients with acne/hair loss/PCOS. To make it less jarring, I knew some of his other patients on Flutamide very well. It’s not so messy with women from what I’ve understood, but in any case it was an abuse of medication. i was sold on this BS hyperandrogenic disorder he diagnosed me with and when I saw results so quickly I wasn’t really going to protest.
Thanks for sharing...so what did the drug do to you? Like what side effects did you get?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing...so what did the drug do to you? Like what side effects did you get?
Flutamide is fast - it reduces androgenic activation asap. Within a day you should see a difference in your complexion (re: oiliness) and then hair should thicken up quick. It reduces body hair, but I didn’t have much to begin with and whatever I did have I still do. Gyno shows up real quick, and it gets quite noticeable. You also hold on to fat in your hips, belly, cheeks, etc. Muscle building is possible but much harder. Now to the scary bit - all this while your T levels are sky rocketing as Flutamide has no feedback mechanism as it is not steroidal. So you are really horny, likely to have hot flashes and occasionally you just feel dysphoria.

dhtbreaker

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same problem on and off for 2 years or so.
Pumpkin seed oil 1000mg really knocked out the itch for me. Potentially the delta 7 Stearine contained within .
It pisses me off that a lot of people on here refer to alternative medicine as ‘snake oils’...when the reality is everyone’s body is different and reacts differently to medicines . This is something that has helped and continues to help me now

Reactions: KSA

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same problem on and off for 2 years or so.
Pumpkin seed oil 1000mg really knocked out the itch for me. Potentially the delta 7 Stearine contained within .
It pisses me off that a lot of people on here refer to alternative medicine as ‘snake oils’...when the reality is everyone’s body is different and reacts differently to medicines . This is something that has helped and continues to help me now
Thank you. You are correct. I’ll give the pumpkin a try for irritated skin. My hair dresser swears by nioxin for scaly /oily scalp. TBD

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for me it's very clear, I have itch in the balding areas
it goes away a couple a weeks after starting fina or duta
if I suspend, the itch rapidly returns something being VERY intense
I have seen that vitamin D also calms it down a little
this is not psychological at all, it's just that it's a random phenomenon
you can bald without itch and you can have itch without balding but still
they are related
that absurdity would drive anyone insane.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have tried the following, over the past year

Nizoral (1% & 2%) irritates the scalp
T/Sal (Did not help)
Head & Shoulders (minor scalp irritation, and did not reduce the itch)
Tea Tree Oil (Did not help)
Various suggestions about Coconut Oil, Vinegar, and Mayonnaise

In addition, the dermatologist had me use Clobetasol foam for a while to get the major irritation under control. Not a long term solution, so he prescribed Ciclopirox, but this did not help. He identified it as seborrheic dermatitis, both my scalp and eye brows are flaky. I have a very oil t-zone.

Excedrin provides some relief, as did Benadryl. Though I can't take those every day, especially Excedrin. I need my liver.

Now trying T/Gel. Any other suggestions?

I am suffering something similar. after i stopped taking dutasteride which started the whole scalp itch in the first place, my scalp has been so sensitive to inflammation. i can't use Nizoral or T-Gel without it driving my scalp crazy. i can't use tea tree or anything with saw palpatto in it. i am struggling to find a shampoo that doesn't leave my scalp itchy. even ones made for sensitive scalps drive my scalp crazy. this never used to be an issue for me.

My scalp is not flaky or anything, i occasionally get small sore bumps if i use irritating shampoos. my doctor doesn't seem to think there is an issue because there is no sign of anything wrong on my scalp. but i know something is wrong but i do not know what. and i am losing hair in the itchy areas which DHT blockers actually make it worse too.

I am currently trying to figure out whether allergy tabs like benedryl are helping, sometimes i think they help calm it down abit. :(

Last edited:

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Flutamide is fast - it reduces androgenic activation asap. Within a day you should see a difference in your complexion (re: oiliness) and then hair should thicken up quick. It reduces body hair, but I didn’t have much to begin with and whatever I did have I still do. Gyno shows up real quick, and it gets quite noticeable. You also hold on to fat in your hips, belly, cheeks, etc. Muscle building is possible but much harder. Now to the scary bit - all this while your T levels are sky rocketing as Flutamide has no feedback mechanism as it is not steroidal. So you are really horny, likely to have hot flashes and occasionally you just feel dysphoria.
Can I use dutasteride along with flutamide...what's the dosage I shld start with

HairForceOne

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that fish oil and D-vitamin helps a ton with itch. I did not use both of them for a months and itch was almost unbearable. Now after starting fish oil and D-vitamin again, itch has almost gone totally.