The Hair System, Does It Feel Comfortable?

Thisisme4373

My Regimen
Reaction score
As the title says, is wearing the hair system comfortable or does it feel irritating at times ?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi TIM

My experience is that they only feel irritating if they are irritating - if your skin feels itchy or sore it's because something is not right - usually some kind of allergic reaction to the adhesive. Once you find the right adhesive and the right prep routine, the system should be totally comfortable. With lace systems I genuinely can forget that they are there. Other guys feel the same about skin systems, although I personally found them a bit sweaty, possibly because I live in a humid part of the world.

Noah

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel my skin system a little bit during the summer months, but being based in the UK the nice weather never lasts!

Yep 100% agree with ChromeyFireFox about sleeping.... It felt like I was pulling or splitting the unit in half the first few weeks! But I've got over that feeling.

When I'm more experienced I would love to give lace a try. Not because I've got anything against skin base (great first system) but just to compare.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mine have never been irritating at all. I've had lace, skin, and now hybrid.

I took my system off in April and May. I was looking forward to two things. 1). standing under a super hot shower and feeling the water run from the top of my head down. 2) burying my head in a pillow and not think about my system. (I do not do the satin pillow thing - too exhausting). Well, come to find out - I don't like that hot water sensation on my head anymore - and while the pillow was nice - I notice absolutely zero change in sleep quality.

My point is, for me - I think I'm a bit more comfortable with it on as opposed to being off.

Thisisme4373

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. One thing I’m concerned about is people mentioning the pulling feeling when sleeping, I move a lot in my sleep, I sleep in weird positions etc and I’d be paranoid that I would tear the glue or dislodge the system in some way.

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. One thing I’m concerned about is people mentioning the pulling feeling when sleeping, I move a lot in my sleep, I sleep in weird positions etc and I’d be paranoid that I would tear the glue or dislodge the system in some way.
Wear a silk beanie. Silk pilllowcase. Use a firm pillow not a soft one.

Sleep on your back. Smoke weed before bed.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The silk/satin pillow case is the best solution - but be prepared to chase that pillow all around the bed at night. Its slick and will slide right out from under your head. To counter this what I did is replace one side of the satin pillowcase with a regular panel from a cotton pillowcase - so it's now cotton one one side and satin on the other. Took about 15 minutes to do. It stopped the sliding - and gave me all the benefits of the satin pillowcase - I use this about 50% of the time.

I've tried the silk beanie thing - and I discovered that the heat from my head was not escaping at night - and that contributed to my bond breaking down much sooner than I expected.

That tugging sensation is a real thing - and I understand exactly what you mean. I've never had any tearing occur. I have had my system slide a bit on the back of my head to which I just tug and pull it back down. Its completely and totally unnoticeable afterwords, but this happens because my tape/bond is breaking down - and is my indication I am past due on maintenance.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About this tearing or dislodging the system:

This is what people who have no experience with hair systems think. The reality is very different.

Dislodging can happen if the bond has broken down. Basically don't leave it on for too long.

Tearing is very unlikely in my experience with lace.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As the title says, is wearing the hair system comfortable or does it feel irritating at times ?

I have recently started wearing hair systems (since the quarantine began). I'm on week three of wearing a system and I can say that I do not feel a thing. Sometimes I forget it is sitting on my head. The first 3-5 days were sort of uncomfortable, but after the first week it becomes an extension of your head (essentially your hair!).

I think the reason I don't feel much from it is because I basically have no hair on top or my crown, so there is nothing to irritate me there.

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
The silk/satin pillow case is the best solution - but be prepared to chase that pillow all around the bed at night. Its slick and will slide right out from under your head. To counter this what I did is replace one side of the satin pillowcase with a regular panel from a cotton pillowcase - so it's now cotton one one side and satin on the other. Took about 15 minutes to do. It stopped the sliding - and gave me all the benefits of the satin pillowcase - I use this about 50% of the time.

I've tried the silk beanie thing - and I discovered that the heat from my head was not escaping at night - and that contributed to my bond breaking down much sooner than I expected.

That tugging sensation is a real thing - and I understand exactly what you mean. I've never had any tearing occur. I have had my system slide a bit on the back of my head to which I just tug and pull it back down. Its completely and totally unnoticeable afterwords, but this happens because my tape/bond is breaking down - and is my indication I am past due on maintenance.

I have advanced from a silk beanie into a sport bandana around the whole system

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

...Smart, should try that. For the past year, I have been using a nylon wig cap which keep things in place, but a bit warm.

Last edited:

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
...Smart, should try that. For the past year, I have been using a nylon wig cap which keep things in place, but a bit warm.
Welcome back diesel,. ..I am not a frequent poster , but last I read your posts , you were abondoning the hair piece..
[/QUOTE]

I have a love - hate relationship with my hair system. I love the way it looks, versatility, all the things we talk about here - but I hate the expense and upkeep processes. I have finally mastered hairline maintenance - but the rest, I am just totally crappy at. So that being said, when we shut down here in Texas my salon did to. So I had a 2 month period where I just took it off. Two weeks ago I made the decision to go ahead and put it back on.

I am the type guy who needs perspective - and I've decided that benefits of wearing outweigh the parts I don't like about the process. My profile pic is my latest system - tho I did thin this out just a bit after this photo was taken.