The Future Of The Hair System. Are There Alternatives?

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
A couple of lame questions:

1)with things kicking off in China and the future for trading with them looking a bit bleak (with trade tariffs or airlines going bust), do we have any alternatives? Are they the ONLY country who make systems? Don’t India/Bangladesh?

2) do hair systems, if never worn, break down on their own? Hair is made of protein hence the question. So if I was to purchase 2-3 hair systems before things in China go tits-up and stored them, could they simply sit in storage for a few years until I needed them? Or would they need some maintenance every now and then, even in storage.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. China is ramping back up production, and the N. Korean border will re-open at some point. Systems are also being made in Thailand and Vietnam. FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc are doing amazing business... not sign of them going bust anytime soon. The cargo business is booming.

2. If you keep them in a sealed bag, in a dark, cool, place, and don't wash off the silicone... probably years.

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, the Chinese manufacturers have been moving production out of China for the last 3 years because of rising wage costs, to places like Vietnam, North Korea, Myanmar and the Philippines. Not just of hairpieces, but all the low value manufactured items. They won't let the China/US tensions interfere with business if they can help it. The current supply issues are much more to do with the virus than the trade war.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What if you have washed off the silicon?

I am currently wearing a piece which has had its day, but I can stretch it considering I'm not going out in public really.

I then have two that I've worn for 2 weeks each. What's lifespan on these now, without being worn? And what's the way to care for them?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
What if you have washed off the silicon?

I am currently wearing a piece which has had its day, but I can stretch it considering I'm not going out in public really.

I then have two that I've worn for 2 weeks each. What's lifespan on these now, without being worn? And what's the way to care for them?

I don't know... you may want to spray some leave in conditioner on it, comb it through... let it dry, and then seal it.

I would stress less about it...

Fanjeera

Reaction score
So with a small price rise it is still possible to get custom systems somewhere right now? Northwestlace has posted a quite pessimistic post on its forum. Are we even getting new custom pieces right now or not? For how long could we have to wait? It's getting quite panicky for me.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The other side of that question is the fact that the knotting is now being done in China, and likely under time pressure. What is the effect on quality?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So with a small price rise it is still possible to get custom systems somewhere right now? Northwestlace has posted a quite pessimistic post on its forum. Are we even getting new custom pieces right now or not? For how long could we have to wait? It's getting quite panicky for me.

From what I have seen, many companies are only making systems for stock, which is a huge majority of the business. That is the reason why the custom estimations are growing longer and longer... it is based on their assumptions at being able to deliver.

I would NOT prepay for a custom system from many companies now, since they can't guarantee that the system will even be made.

Yes, it's grim. If you can make due with a stock system, even if it means a slight change in style, it's worth considering.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
From what I have seen, many companies are only making systems for stock, which is a huge majority of the business. That is the reason why the custom estimations are growing longer and longer... it is based on their assumptions at being able to deliver.

I would NOT prepay for a custom system from many companies now, since they can't guarantee that the system will even be made.

Yes, it's grim. If you can make due with a stock system, even if it means a slight change in style, it's worth considering.
What about Northwestlace?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you read Eric's latest update on NWL, there is unfortunately no positive news to be heard. The N.Korea border is still the main problem and I have heard the same from my supplier/salon.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you read Eric's latest update on NWL, there is unfortunately no positive news to be heard. The N.Korea border is still the main problem and I have heard the same from my supplier/salon.

This is probably going to be the reality for quite some time... these are NOT Agile companies... and are going to be slow to respond... but will either make changes... or go out of business....

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I plan on buying systems somewhere between the summer of 2021. Hopefully things will be better by then.