The effects of Testosterone on head hair?

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Testosterone does not really affect scalp hair. Certainly not male pattern baldness pathogenesis.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
Testosterone does not really affect scalp hair. Certainly not male pattern baldness pathogenesis.

This is so wrong. All androgens cause hair loss. DHT is the strongest one. Maybe in some individuals with good genes T doesn't affect hair loss, but in others who start to loose hair in their teens and 20s, it certainly does. So, it all depends how sensitive your scalp hair follicles are + how much DHT, T and other androgens are attached to AR inside cells of DP. DHT is the strongest male androgen hormone, and it is generated directly in hair follicles thus more likely to attach to AR of hair follicles cells.

This is why people on finasteride and dutasteride start sooner or later to thin out and recede, after 10 or more years...

xredstarx. I assume you are knowledgeable person when it comes to hair loss, then it would be more wiser to say T doesn't play significant role as DHT does, rather then T is absolutely guiltless, and has nothing to do with male pattern baldness progression. All androgens contribute to male pattern baldness. There is no DHT or T receptor. There is only one type of AR, and all andorgens attach to it, ofcourse with different intensity depending on strength of each male hormone.

CHI23

Reaction score
BS

BS, T does not contribute to male pattern baldness. where did you get your information?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
BS, T does not contribute to male pattern baldness. where did you get your information?

Test DOES TO contribute.. Both test and dht can cause excessive sebum and male pattern baldness is a whole process.. This includes the enlargement of sebaceous glands in some men. Sebum clogs follicles and causes miniaturization especially in those with seb derm. Androgens cause pattern baldness. Not androgen.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
This is so wrong. All androgens cause hair loss. DHT is the strongest one. Maybe in some individuals with good genes T doesn't affect hair loss, but in others who start to loose hair in their teens and 20s, it certainly does. So, it all depends how sensitive your scalp hair follicles are + how much DHT, T and other androgens are attached to AR inside cells of DP. DHT is the strongest male androgen hormone, and it is generated directly in hair follicles thus more likely to attach to AR of hair follicles cells.

This is why people on finasteride and dutasteride start sooner or later to thin out and recede, after 10 or more years...

xredstarx. I assume you are knowledgeable person when it comes to hair loss, then it would be more wiser to say T doesn't play significant role as DHT does, rather then T is absolutely guiltless, and has nothing to do with male pattern baldness progression. All androgens contribute to male pattern baldness. There is no DHT or T receptor. There is only one type of AR, and all andorgens attach to it, ofcourse with different intensity depending on strength of each male hormone.

Testosterone might actually be good for hair. Note that I'm talking from an endocrine prespective, which is what matters in the end, and this is the puzzle piece that you're missing.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
If you start to loose hair in your 18 or early twenties, then probably you have very sensitive scalp hair and T might also do certain damage. If you start to loose hair in 30s, 40s or even later in life, then you have more resistant scalp hair follicles to androgens, and you may benefit from using Propecia since your hair isn't sensitive a lot to T and other weaker hormones.

to sum up, the later you start to notice thinning and hair loss, the easier available treatments will give results.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
Doesn't finasteride increase T ?

Of course it does, but the key point is that reduction of DHT level is more important than actual increment of T level since DHT is 3,4 times more powerful than T so you have less androgen stimulus even there is surplus of T,

abcdefg

Reaction score
Of course it does, but the key point is that reduction of DHT level is more important than actual increment of T level since DHT is 3,4 times more powerful than T so you have less androgen stimulus even there is surplus of T,

True but I still dont understand how T would be good for hair even from an endocrine perspective. It seems to me absolute T levels would be bad no matter how you slice it. Current AAs help with DHT but it doesnt prove really that T by itself plays no role still.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Testosterone is key to other anabolic hormones and growth factors. The real problem behind male pattern baldness is that the hair release, not only their own androgens locally, but a more powerful version of testosterone. This why free T molecules circulating in the blood stream would have almost no androgenic effect on hair follicles, and should leave you with a net positive benefit overall. The study where T inhibited hair growth in vitro after 24 hours is not even close to 1/100 of the exposure systemically.

SwoleJoel

Reaction score
I've taking AAS FOR 14 years, never had problem. Winny would make me shed a lil, but test never, now at 37 all of a sudden I'm thining out at the crown, thinking about taking avodart. I don't suffer from genetic male pattern baldness. Wonder how well these products would work for me.

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Testosterone definitely causes hairloss, but its all dependent to you sensitivity to it. Many poeple say that after 10-15 years of finasteride their hairloss starts again this is becuase of testosterone, if you deny that tesosterone is linked with hairloss you have no idea what you are talking about.

I took dutasteride for 8 months and still had thinning, if dutasteride inhibs 99% of dht than the only other male hormone that could have caused this would be testosterone

Actually it’s more likely that duta increased your estrogen and that’s what causes your hairthinning. There was a study where they injected Test in the scalps of women and it promoted hair growth

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Testosterone definitely causes hairloss, but its all dependent to you sensitivity to it. Many poeple say that after 10-15 years of finasteride their hairloss starts again this is becuase of testosterone, if you deny that tesosterone is linked with hairloss you have no idea what you are talking about.

I took dutasteride for 8 months and still had thinning, if dutasteride inhibs 99% of dht than the only other male hormone that could have caused this would be testosterone
I have taken oral dutasteride and even topical dutasteride and my hair is indeed thinning more 1 year later.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually it’s more likely that duta increased your estrogen and that’s what causes your hairthinning. There was a study where they injected Test in the scalps of women and it promoted hair growth
finasteride increase estrogen by 15% dutasteride slightly more dont be dumb.