The dreaded "chalky" look with dermmatch - how to solve it?

hairze

Reaction score
Hello.

I've been using dermmatch for a few months, with amazing results as to what concerns hair thickening and baldness concealing. I'm a diffuse thinner with a decent amount of hair, but I find dermmatch to be essential to me.

In the beggining it wasn't easy to adapt my routine to the dermmatch application, but right now I can do it preety fast, spending about 20 minutes applying, hair drying and styling.

The only big disadvantage of dermmatch is the dreaded chalky look, making your hair look so so dull and lifeless, and giving it a gray tint that makes it look a bit unnatural.

As all of you know, we use this product to "conceal" something, and we are not supposed to have people noticing that our hair looks weird, making you want to "conceal" the concealer.

As such, I'd like to know if you experience this same problem, and what have you discovered so far that helps to disguise this chalky look?

I know that hair drying can worsen it, but sometimes I'm in a hurry and I must really blow dry my hair.

I also know, after reading many threads about this here, that some people use spray or gel to disguise this. I bought a liquid hair spray, but it dissolves my dermmatch. Are there any products compatible with dermmatch?

Looking forward to hear your input.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
Be rough with it. After you put it in, brush it in, pat it down with a towel to even out the stuff that made it to your scalp (and thin, barely noticable layer on your scale stops light from shining off your head, but if it's patchy it looks obvious), blow dry it, run your hands through it, put a hat on and off a few times, anything to make it fit in naturally with your existing hair. That chalkly look is from thin, dying (or growing!) hairs (that aren't as thick as your healthy hair) that haven't taken enough of the product. Use more in those areas.

The same advice goes for toppik, in my opinion, except don't apply more in obviously bald areas. Don't apply any in those areas, for that matter.

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
Try using less water, or try applying it dry

themender

Reaction score
while this takes a bit longer, the results usually look really good. i usually mousse my towel dried hair and comb it through, style it, let it dry. this adds the shine and volume and it also stops it from looking frizzy(fructis xxl volume rocks). once it dries, apply the dermmatch dry, and then brush through, ull find it alot easier to apply and to brush through. spritz a bit of water in there to make it easier to style, then add a little bit of gel, style, and voila! then just add hairsoreal for the less dense areas, and of course ur hair spray. again, this takes a little longer, but its totally worth it.

if u dont have much time, make sure ur hair is completely dry, put in the dermmatch dry, brush through, spritz in some water, add some gel and style. :)

i hope this helps, its worked wonders for me and i have a huge thinning area on the crown and diffuse thinning on the top, and really thin temples, but no one would know it, especially if i keep my hair short :D

hairze

Reaction score
themender said:
while this takes a bit longer, the results usually look really good. i usually mousse my towel dried hair and comb it through, style it, let it dry. this adds the shine and volume and it also stops it from looking frizzy(fructis xxl volume rocks). once it dries, apply the dermmatch dry, and then brush through, ull find it alot easier to apply and to brush through. spritz a bit of water in there to make it easier to style, then add a little bit of gel, style, and voila! then just add hairsoreal for the less dense areas, and of course ur hair spray. again, this takes a little longer, but its totally worth it.

if u dont have much time, make sure ur hair is completely dry, put in the dermmatch dry, brush through, spritz in some water, add some gel and style. :)

i hope this helps, its worked wonders for me and i have a huge thinning area on the crown and diffuse thinning on the top, and really thin temples, but no one would know it, especially if i keep my hair short :D

I never understood how you guys use dermmatch dry! If I try to use it dry, there's almost no product on the brush, and almost nothing will stick to the scalp. I have to use it at least damp for it to work. Dermmatch is a very hard product, and while dry it's particles don't stick to the brush...

I have made some improvements so far. I went from medium brown to dark brown and this has helped. I guess that a mix between medium and dark brown would be the best, but I can't afford the extra time that mixing the two would involve in my daily morning routine.

I guess one of my problems is that I have wavy hair, and I don't usually comb it, even though I end up combing my hair with my fingers.

Right now my routine, and the one which works the best so far is:

- Wash hair
- Let it naturally dry while I take breakfast, dress, etc...
- Apply dermmatch all over the scalp (I'm a diffuse thinner with non-pattern diffuse alopecia) with damp brush
- Run my fingers through my hair while styling it a bit
- Use damp black towel to try to remove excess
- Blow dry
- Apply Fructis Surf Hair mousse... this one doesn't cut down on volume, and gives a bit of extra shine to the hair and style.

The "blow dry" step doesn't help at all, as I guess it increases the chalkyness, but I can't avoid it, due to time restrictions.

As to the Fructis, I'm still experimenting, so far this one is the one I like best. Do you guys recommend any other products?

johngreek

Reaction score
i've written this again:

If you want to use dematch dry the best solution is :

Use a clean toothbrush and brush dermatch into the disc in order to make powder . Put the powder in an empty toppik bottle
and sprinkle it just like toppik. Preferably use the optimizer ( blow device ) .

You get a water resistance look and much much much less mess on your sink and bathroom floors and walls.

The problem i face with dermatch is this (any help appreciated). Every night i shampoo and wash my head . Dermatch remains stick onto the bathtub wich a couple of days after gets into a disgusting looking brown color .That color is extremely resistant to cleaning , it takes a harsch cleanser and lots of hard rubbing to make mu tub white again .Any ideas on how to avoid this ?

hairze

Reaction score
johngreek said:
i've written this again:

If you want to use dematch dry the best solution is :

Use a clean toothbrush and brush dermatch into the disc in order to make powder . Put the powder in an empty toppik bottle
and sprinkle it just like toppik. Preferably use the optimizer ( blow device ) .

You get a water resistance look and much much much less mess on your sink and bathroom floors and walls.

The problem i face with dermatch is this (any help appreciated). Every night i shampoo and wash my head . Dermatch remains stick onto the bathtub wich a couple of days after gets into a disgusting looking brown color .That color is extremely resistant to cleaning , it takes a harsch cleanser and lots of hard rubbing to make mu tub white again .Any ideas on how to avoid this ?

And does the dermmatch powder really stick to your scalp using that method? I find it strange, because it isn't supposed to grab the scalp that way, some friction should be involved.

As to the bathtub, I think there's no solution. I get the same problem, and every 5 days the bathtub has to be cleaned with harsh cleanser and a kitchen harsh sponge. Worst than that would be the brown pillow and sheets...

johngreek

Reaction score
hairze
dermatch sprinkled or sprayed stays on better that toppik .After sprinkling / spraying you can always pat / rub your scalp if you want but i find it unncessary.I just com my hair very well with a plastic comb , to distribute dermatch better. A finishing spray gives a better , non chalky look.