The devil in concealers...

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Those who have been on concealers for a longer period know this.

One day you'll have to bare it as it is, most probably involuntarily...and there'll be no means to hide any more. It is as said, a temporary solution, and it is extremely addictive. There is nothing quite as taxing on the psyche than being accustomed to a certain image of yourself, and literally seeing it washed away.

So you can keep deceiving yourself and the world around you and live happily for a while, even many years, but the devil always comes to collect...so choose wisely before going down this path.

GeminiX

Reaction score
True if a little negative :)

I think the point is to treat concealers as a temporary reprieve which if you're lucky will hold off the signs of male pattern baldness until your ready to deal with it.

Also don't forget people who are responding well to treatments; a good concealer can "fast forward" you a year or so (as it was in my case), and that was a very nice feeling.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What exactly was the point of this post?

People on here are trying to support each other in the same common bond that we all have. That's what the forum is for. It serves no purpose whatsoever apart from stating the obvious to people that don't wish to think that far ahead. We are here to help other people in the same boat go what we go through

But as it happens most people will have those tiny peach fuzz hairs on their head for eternity so most can use that stuff till they can be bothered.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Bash said:
Those who have been on concealers for a longer period know this.

One day you'll have to bare it as it is, most probably involuntarily...and there'll be no means to hide any more. It is as said, a temporary solution, and it is extremely addictive. There is nothing quite as taxing on the psyche than being accustomed to a certain image of yourself, and literally seeing it washed away.

So you can keep deceiving yourself and the world around you and live happily for a while, even many years, but the devil always comes to collect...so choose wisely before going down this path.

Err thats the whole point. Abit like saying to middle aged women, dont dye your hair just go grey at 40, because one day you'll have to face up to the fact that you're really gray.

Yes concealers are a pain in the arse and you have to be secretive about using them, but the fact remains if you're suffering from hairloss and want to improve your appearance they are the most effective way of doing it.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Point of this post you say? The point of this post is that whoever uses concealers ought to know what they're getting into. Everybody around you, and even yourself, will get use to a certain projected image of you. The shock that occurs when not being able to use them is quite substantial as the time required for your surroundings and yourself to eventually adjust to the new look is taken out of the equation. In my case, that day finally came, and it was quite traumatic. I just wanted to give my personal experience here and share my thoughts on the subject

What I say is obvious you say? Even the "obvious" sometimes needs to be clarified. The phrase "temporary solution" is an oxymoron and not that easy to comprehend even when given a fair share of thought. How can it be a solution if it is temporary? What does it really mean that is temporary? It means that one day you'll have to give it up or have someone or something give it up for you.

Support you say? Yes, I'm aware that the point of this place is to support each other and I am grateful, but mustn't it be done in realistic manner with both the negatives and the positives of the solutions we pursue for our problems? Especially for the newbies that want to know what they're getting themselves into? Be sure to shed a lighter view on this subject if you think mine is too dark and we'll have a balanced dialogue which is of a more informative value to the reader. That is what I personally want as support...balanced information with both the pros and cons...and not just consoling and claps on the shoulders.

Concealers are extremely addictive and no delusion should be there when using them. Lest it be a year, two or five years from now...the weening of concealers is a difficult process as the habit becomes more ingrained in your system. The positive is a great one, no denial in there either, as you will be able to enjoy yourself during that period of time. But you must know that the day WILL come, be you on treatments, waiting for a transplant, or whatever...(the fact is that there is nothing out there that's good enough to fully replace them at the given time). To hope that you will no longer care about your appearance (e.g. because of age) is not a viable way of thinking because you have been using the concealers and making the effort to that specific point in time when you decide to give them up.

The glee and sheer joy that comes when applying a concealer for the first time, should be taken with the same precaution as when taking up any habit (or product or substance for that matter) that one intends to rely on to solve a problem for an unsustainable period of time. That a temporary solution can provide relief but in many cases evolves into an addiction. And with any addiction, can make you feel good but when taken in as a whole actually lowers your quality of life limiting you from many things you want to do but can't for the sake of the fix. And when the time comes, when you come to the realization that you have to to give it up, or are forced to due to circumstance..well, that's how this whole post started in the first place.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I love this forum ha ha.

AnberlinFan84

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you have to be so secretive about using a concealer. Chances are people can tell you are balding at least to a small degree. Who wants to live being ashamed and embarassed all theime, certainly not I. While it might only be a temporary solution how is that different that women using products such as push up bras, makeup or eyelashes. Its all fake but guess what we know they use it and still love them anyways. I hate reading peoples posts about how life sucks and blah blah blah. At least you are not handicapped or on life support, or digging through trash in peru to find food. That's my rant but in summary you should not be embarassed to seek cosmetic help for hairloss and f*** those who criticize you, chances are they are on some RX medications for something much worse than hairloss.

shookwun

Reaction score
I wont use concealers.. I don't want to be a product of a temporary solution and become accustom to a certain look. It's an expensive addiction,.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
What a load of tripe

I use toppik. I use a dab every morning as my hair has worsened the past year or two. My hair is pretty diffuse but even with toppik you can tell i have fine hair.

Perhaps TS is referring to the guys that have such an elaborate system they transform from Norwood 4 to full head's of hair every morning. That's one extreme, yes. But for me its simply like styling my hair - making it look as good as possible much like using gel or getting a nice hair cut.

My hair has been diffusing into sh*t since 18 years old. Im 25 now. I've never been under any illusions what direction my hair is going. So im happy to try get as much longevity as possible. Maybe my minoxidl regime will help too. My hair regimes is all geared towards fighting off the inevitable (finasteride didnt work!)

Im not sure what you mean by saying "one day you will have to face up to it". WTF does that mean, anyway? Most people have "faced up to it" by simply using concealers in the first place. Very few see this as ideal or a sustainable approach. Most realise that the end of the road is probably shaving it off. And thats my point. Buzzing it is kind of a seperate issue to concealers. male pattern baldness (hairline for instead) will show even with concealers. The male pattern baldness will progress and show through anyway, over time. You still face the same issue of shaving it anyway.

Its not as if , with concealers you wake up one day and they dont work. Its a GRADUAL process, much like male pattern baldness. So, what's the difference? None. Spucing your hair up in the morning doesn't do away from the facts. Im pretty sure anyone on here is intelligent enough to know the fact that they use concealers means they have male pattern baldness anyway.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Everything that the thread starter said might be true, but so what? Women do all kinds of things to improve their appearance, from makeup and high heels to wonder bras. So if a guy has a bald spot or thinning hair and adds a little something to cover it up, why is that wrong? Eventually a guy is going to see his wife or girlfriend au natural, with no make up or any other image enhancers. What's the difference?

s.a.f

Reaction score
thetodd said:
Everything that the thread starter said might be true, but so what? Women do all kinds of things to improve their appearance, from makeup and high heels to wonder bras. So if a guy has a bald spot or thinning hair and adds a little something to cover it up, why is that wrong? Eventually a guy is going to see his wife or girlfriend au natural, with no make up or any other image enhancers. What's the difference?

Been through this a million times before, the difference is femininity and masculinity. Cosmetic treatment, and being concerned about your attractivness is feminine - the exact opposite of masculine.
I'm not saying dont do it but dont expect anyone to think positivly of it. In other words if your a man you're going to use cosmetics keep it to yourself.

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why worry so much about this supposed "masculinity"? Are you really surrounded by people that take that seriously? Where if you are to cover up a thin/bald spot you are instantly not masculine?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its not a massive deal but just saying its going to be viewed negativley, much more negativley than the bald spot itself.
It shows an insecurity.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
We're all insecure about our appearance, though. Very few people feel totally comfortable in their own skin. Since there is such a stigma about baldness, I don't think a mans masculinity should be challenged if he decides to do something about it.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are a hell of a lot of women out there who find it hilarious that we use that stuff, and not think twice about their own enhancements.

What does annoy me is these women who claim their life is terrible because they have a small bust, and are depressed because of it, then are given thousands on the NHS to have it done gratis. How does that differ from my depression because of losing hair? Why can't I get thousands for a hair transplant? Because........ it's not recognised as a life changer, but let me tell you people, IT IS and in my opinion far worse than small breasts, as ours is far more visible. And t*ts of all sizes are all good! :whistle:

And GeminiX, this is not in anyway related to you, that is a completely different story which I sympathise with, and I know you've funded it yourself

GeminiX

Reaction score
Esprit said:
Unfortunately, there are a hell of a lot of women out there who find it hilarious that we use that stuff, and not think twice about their own enhancements.

What does annoy me is these women who claim their life is terrible because they have a small bust, and are depressed because of it, then are given thousands on the NHS to have it done gratis. How does that differ from my depression because of losing hair? Why can't I get thousands for a hair transplant? Because........ it's not recognised as a life changer, but let me tell you people, IT IS and in my opinion far worse than small breasts, as ours is far more visible. And t*ts of all sizes are all good! :whistle:

And GeminiX, this is not in anyway related to you, that is a completely different story which I sympathise with, and I know you've funded it yourself

Cheers :)

I would add though that the women who are likely to get cosmetic surgery to enhance their appearance are more likely to be understanding if a guy does a few cosmetic tweaks themselves.

As a rule, I've found that people (men and women) who have been fortunate to be born with a great body and looks are the ones who will be judgemental of others; I suspect it's because they have no understanding of what it is like to feel inferior. Oddly, the same also seems to apply to the opposite end of the curve and people who feel they have been mistreated by others will be right up there with (and often ahead of) the pretty people when it comes to attacking others.

Funny old world :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
I would add though that the women who are likely to get cosmetic surgery to enhance their appearance are more likely to be understanding if a guy does a few cosmetic tweaks themselves.

As a rule, I've found that people (men and women) who have been fortunate to be born with a great body and looks are the ones who will be judgemental of others; I suspect it's because they have no understanding of what it is like to feel inferior. Oddly, the same also seems to apply to the opposite end of the curve and people who feel they have been mistreated by others will be right up there with (and often ahead of) the pretty people when it comes to attacking others.

True.
I knew a guy on another forum who got a hair transplant and after that his bald work colleague stopped speaking to him!

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:

As a rule, I've found that people (men and women) who have been fortunate to be born with a great body and looks are the ones who will be judgemental of others;

bang on, on both counts!

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Why not use concealers and try everything you want. I believe in trying everything once. When I was a kid I played a lot of sports. Mostly to see if I was any good at any of them and always have thought "You only live once" because you only do.

I think a lot of us who use concealers and don't use meds, know that one day it'll become too hard to continue with them and we'll stop. I see it as, I'm 28, I use a bit of dermatch up top on my 'high and tight' marine cut to buff out my hair a bit.
I know that one day, I'll be bald.. and I'll have to shave it off, so I'm using the last few years of my hair so I can..

If a Girl or Women told me to shave it all off. I'd probably say soething like "One day I will and I have before and will at somepoint in the future. Are you going to let your grey streaks come in? Or go out with your foundation on?" The double standards are unbelivable from some women.

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
I don't think the use of concealers is necessarily an act of self-deception. The vast majority of users are simply looking for some way to make themeselves feel better about their situation. Concealers help people gradually adjust to their condition, almost like a supportive friend. The support that the concealer adds is reassuring.

The other thing that concealers do is buy time until a person takes additional steps to battle baldness, e.g. taking meds or getting hair transplant's. Additionally, as scientific advances are made concealers may buy time until a day when baldness has a cure. Before that day comes why not try to make youself as happy with your appearance as possible?

Another point is that many people are simply looking to conceal their baldness until they find a mate for life. Once they find that mate then maybe they can stop the concealers but until that day is at hand the concealers may be a very welcome part of one's life.