The Big Bad Awesome Brotzu Lotion Faq

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, since the main thread keeps going in circles, some user suggested someone make an FAQ. So, I figured I'd do it so that if you're wondering something about the lotion, but don't want to read pages and pages to find the answer, you can just come here instead.

Answers will be updated as more info becomes available. Also, feel free to PM me to point out anything I've missed or inaccurate info. Special thanks to David_MPN and everyone else who has contributed.

You can travel to the main Brotzu Lotion thread by clicking here, here and also here.

Q: What is the 'Brotzu Lotion'?

A: It is a lotion created by Italian Doctor Giovanni Brotzu to treat the various alopecias. It contains DGLA, Equol and L-Propionyl-Carnitine among other ingredients.

You can read more about the lotion's makeup via the patent
https://www.google.com/patents/WO2015170247A1?cl=en

Q: How did Dr. Brotzu discover the lotion and how did it take so long for it to be commercialized?

He was working on a diabetes medication, but he noticed that it had the effect of growing a lot of hair.
These ingredients have been known for years but there is very little research on alopecia. It's not one of the great large fields of medicine, don't expect that every stone has been turned.

Q: What more do we know about s-equol?

A:
S-equol or (S)-(–)-4',7-isoflavandiol is metabolized by human intestinal bacteria from the soy isoflavone daidzein in ~50% of Asians and ~30% of Caucasians. It is an agonist of the estrogen beta receptor, and it binds to DHT which neutralizes the molecule. WebMD reveals that there is positive evidence for equol yielding benefits for postmenopausal symptoms, metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis, breast cancer, diabetes, wrinkled skin, prostate cancer, heart disease and high cholesterol.

It is also currently under research for development as BPH treatment, just like Proscar (Finasteride) originally was.

Q: What more do we know about DGLA?

A: Dihomo-γ-linolenic acid (DGLA) is an Omega-6 fatty acid, one that is very uncommon in our food supply in contrast to Omega-6 fatty acids as a whole. It is an anti-inflammatory. It is being used in the product as a precursor to PGE1. Specifically, DGLA is converted to PGE1 via the cox-1 and cox-2 pathways. In adult men, PGE1 is a vasodilator and is most known as a treatment of erectile dysfunction.

Q: What more do we know about L-carnitine?

A:
L-carnitine is an amino acid and is involved in fat metabolism in mammals. It is a popular nutritional supplement right now. WebMD suggests there is evidence for L-carnitine as an effective treatment for kidney disease, chest pain, heart failure, high thyroid levels, male infertility, and inflammation. The highest dietary sources according to wikipedia are red meat, but it can also be found in many other foods.

Q: Have they announced what markets the lotion will be sold in (NA, EU, ect)?

A: No.

Q: Have they announced if it will sell other types of vehicles (spray or foam)?

A: No.

Q: Could it replace finasteride and minoxidil?

A: Quite possibly. The aim of the lotion is to slow down or stop hair loss as well as regrow it. Some of the ingredients, like Equol are known to bind to DHT and DGLA is a powerful vasodilator.

Q: But will it give me side effects?

A: As with every medication or cosmetic, the latter of which the lotion is classified as, comes with some risk of side effects. What side effects are possible as well as their frequency remains to be seen from the results of the clinical trials and years following its release.

Q: Who is doing the trials?

A: An Italian cosmetics and pharmaceutical company called "FIDIA" is carrying out their own trials of the lotion on Androgenetic Alopecia. Brotzu himself is testing the lotion on a small sample size of patients with Alopecia Areata.

Q: Don't trials take years to complete?

A:
The original mixture of this lotion called for PGE1, which would have required it to be trialed as a drug. However, when the precursor to PGE1, DLGA, was found to be effective, the lotion caught the interest of FIDIA as this would enable them to market it as a cosmetic using approved ingredients.

Q: Where are the pictures?

A: In the hands of FIDIA and Brotzu. Brotzu showed some images from his AA trials demonstrating positive results at a conference in Turin, Italy. He also published a study in the journal "The Dermatologist."

Q: So when can we expect an update from FIDIA?

A: In late December or early 2017, we can assume.

FIDIA told this publisher that at end of 2016 is when they could have information regarding their findings.

Read about it here

Q: You sure it's not just "Snake Oil"?

A: While the lotion's efficacy on a large sample size remains to be seen from FIDIA's trials, there is little question at this point that the lotion does work based on Brotzu's published data and his conference in Turin. The liposomes are the key ingredient as they are an effective delivery method of the active ingredients that actually allow them to do their thing. The equol binds to DHT, the DGLA vasodilates (nourishing the follicle) and the L-carnitine metabolizes the cells.

As one user from the Italian forums explained it and I will paraphrase: Imagine that you're hanging from a noose like Brendan Fraser in "The Mummy". Finasteride cuts the rope, but it leaves you lying on the ground half dead, gasping for air. This lotion not only cuts the rope (Equol), but feeds your appetite (Carnitine) and nurses you back to health with the delicious cuisine of the mediterranean (DGLA). Then, you and your epic 90s boyband hair shall find romance and adventure in distant, exotic lands.

Q: Okay, so when does it come out?

A: According to anecdotal reports, the target release is 2017.

Q: How much will it cost?

A: ¯\(o_o)/¯

However, Brotzu's son (harassed by people online) said that he expects the lotion to be below 100 Euro.

Q: Can it really regrow five years of lost hair?

A: Possibly, but unknown. This claim comes from an anecdote of Dr. Brotzu that may have been lost in translation. It is likely to mean that the very best results one could possibly see from using the lotion is five years worth of regrowth. Brotzu has stated that the lotion is most effective on younger patients (<30 years old) who have earlier stages of alopecia.

Q: Wait, it's most effective in people under 30? I'm older than that! Will it work for me?

A: Based on any available information, the lotion responds best in young people - largely due to presumption that younger people have not been afflicted by alopecia for nearly as long as their older peers. Young people tend to respond to medications and surgeries better in general due to low senescence (cellular aging) among many other biological factors. In short, healing and recovery are easier when you are young - like a teen or 20 something.

If you are older, the lotion should still work for you, possibly very well, even. However, it would be reasonable to expect that the treatment will not be as effective for you as it will be on average for younger people - especially if you have an advanced Norwood pattern.

This is, of course, subject to change pending the results of FIDIA's trials.

Q: Okay. So how often will I have to apply it?

A: This is not set in stone and could very well depend on severity and type of alopecia. It will likely be somewhat patient-specific. However, based on Brotzu's interviews, we do know that the frequency of application allegedly becomes less over time. Initially, you will probably need applications daily or every other day. It is said that after a period of a couple years or so, you can slow down to even as low as once a week.

Q: Other products have failed before, so why should I believe in this one?

A: It is both irrelevant and a logical fallacy to assume that because previous efforts have failed, so too will the next one. Science is built on trial and error. Also, the sources developing the lotion are far more credible than your crazy, 30 something year-old cousin, mother of two who quit her job to drive around in an SUV full of "Essential Oils" promising you that "Thieves" will regrow your hair and cure AIDS.

Most of the thousands of other "treatments" that don't work contain nothing but vitamins and amino acid.

Q: Should I start finasteride and minoxidil now, or just wait for this and Tsuji?

A: You never know how bad your hair is going to get and how quickly - do not delay in treating it with the only two FDA approved medications. Contrary to all the scare-mongering on the internet, your junk probably won't fall off, you probably won't grow man boobs or get brain-AIDS and you probably won't pee a hole through the toilet like the Alien's blood. The drugs have an excellent safety profile, but be sure to speak with your doctor about any concerns you may have.

It's still a few years before Tsuji saves the world, so fight the good fight until then.

Q: So what did Brotzu say at his conference?

A: A lot of Italian stuff. If someone wants to transcribe the entire thing, hit me up via PM. The gist of it, though, is that the lotion works as told for AA. That's good news, because that's 50% of his claims being true. This bodes well for the Androgenetic Alopecia trials.

Q: Who is Beps63?

A: The shadowy figure from Italian hairloss forums claiming to be a member of FIDIA's trials. He's made some claims on HairLossTalk.com about Brotzu's (then) forthcoming conference, which turned out to be true. However, his claims were never unreasonable and were predictable outcomes. Allegedly, he has stopped posting as Scooby & The Gang exposed his true identity; some even claim he is Brotzu's son.

Q: Where is my frequently asked question and its answer?

A: Probably hiding in the actual Brotzu forum or not frequently asked, but PM me if you must.

Relevant Links

Video of Brotzu's conference in Italy

Official Patent

Bellicapelli Interview with Giovanni Brotzu

Brotzu's Study of the lotion on Androgenetic Alopecia

Brotzu's Study of the lotion on Alopecia Totalis (pg. 334)

Study on Equol's Affect on DHT

Alopecia 24's articles on the lotion (which have been updated)

Last edited:

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Can we please have someone translate the key points from this video.

There's got to be somebody on here who understands Italian.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Should be linked to the original brotzu thread! Thanks for eliminating any further redundant questions over and over again just to flood the original thread.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Should be linked to the original brotzu thread! Thanks for eliminating any further redundant questions over and over again just to flood the original thread.

Done. On this end, anyway.

Last edited:

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Good thread. Ill ask a few questions.

Q: How did Dr. Brotzu discover the lotion and how did it take so long for it to be commercialized? These ingredients have been known for years and there effect on hair.

Q: Has fidia announced what markets it will sell the lotion (NA, EU, ect)?

Q: Has fidia announced if it will sell other types of vehicles (spray or foam)?
Cream might be hard to use for diffuse thinners, those that still have good density, or have longer hair.

Q: is there any idea what the other ingredients might be in the fidia lotion?

Here's a link to an interview Dr. Brotzu did in regards to the lotion about a month ago.
http://translate.googleusercontent....rotzu/&usg=ALkJrhhVvHumb2iBreOxES-bjqpljWRj9A

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@kawnshawn,

Q: How did Dr. Brotzu discover the lotion and how did it take so long for it to be commercialized? These ingredients have been known for years and there effect on hair.
He was working on a diabetes medication, but he noticed that it had the effect of growing a lot of hair.
These ingredients have been known for years but there is very little research on alopecia. It's not one of the great large fields of medicine, don't expect that every stone has been turned.

Q: Has fidia announced what markets it will sell the lotion (NA, EU, ect)?
No.

Q: Has fidia announced if it will sell other types of vehicles (spray or foam)?
Cream might be hard to use for diffuse thinners, those that still have good density, or have longer hair.

No.

Q: is there any idea what the other ingredients might be in the fidia lotion?
No.

MihailV

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great info thank you 'That Guy'.
I have a question maybe you or somebody else know the answer:
If i start taking this let's say in my late 20's after i am 40 it will not work any more? Let's say it stops the hair loss for 10 15 years and after this it will stop working? or it's important when you start it and it can act as a maintenance even after you reach you 40's or 50's.

Thanks !

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great info thank you 'That Guy'.
I have a question maybe you or somebody else know the answer:
If i start taking this let's say in my late 20's after i am 40 it will not work any more? Let's say it stops the hair loss for 10 15 years and after this it will stop working? or it's important when you start it and it can act as a maintenance even after you reach you 40's or 50's.

Thanks !

I posted a couple new entries to try and address this and related questions.

There is really no definitive answer on that. Younger people tend to respond better to medical treatments in general and the longer you take any kind of "medication", you may possibly develop a sort of immunity to it. finasteride and minoxidil are known to lose their effectiveness in some people after many years of use.

The good news is, by the time you're in your 40s, treatments like Tsuji's will have likely been available for years at that point and you won't even have to worry about this.

Last edited:

MihailV

My Regimen
Reaction score
I posted a couple new entries to try and address this and related questions.

There is really no definitive answer on that. Younger people tend to respond better to medical treatments in general and the longer you take any kind of "medication", you may possibly develop a sort of immunity to it. finasteride and minoxidil are known to lose their effectiveness in some people after many years of use.

The good news is, by the time you're in your 40s, treatments like Tsuji's will have likely been available for years at that point and you won't even have to worry about this.
Thank you !

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

papa pinrel

Reaction score
mmm i readed all the ingredients and how to make the lotion on a PDF will search if at home but yes, we know the ingredients, in fact in the group buy we have done a clon lotion

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

JLC

Established Member
Reaction score
Great thread, hopefully there will be now be less confusion on this subject.

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
mmm i readed all the ingredients and how to make the lotion on a PDF will search if at home but yes, we know the ingredients, in fact in the group buy we have done a clon lotion
Can you post the PDF or share a download link for it?