The Anxiety of Wearing Hair - How Did You Cope (or Conquer)

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I think I always assumed I'd end up telling people, but to me it seems like an odd thing to do now. When I'm out I don't think about it, and nobody asks about it, so it seems strange to suddenly say 'oh by the way...'

It's a total non-starter to me. Doesn't feel like a charade at all. I don't feel like I'm lying to people. I genuinely think if someone came out and asked I'd just tell them. But they never do...
Yeah, at first I thought that I wouldn't care either, if people knew. I just wanted hair so bad. Now I have started to think that I shouldn't have told so many. What a dissonance in values.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I mean, who knows. I haven't seen you or your hair so I can't judge, but I'm extremely perceptive & know others who are similarly so.

Never forget that people, on the whole, don't like friction, don't like conflict. (I personally do.) By the time I was 5, I of course knew that if an overweight friend of mine asked me if he was fat, I'd have to say no.

Now I'm brutally honest w people - which doesn't work out so well

But would you compliment a fat person on how slim they are? Or even bring up the topic of weight?

The thing that's proven to me that people don't know is how freely they discuss my hair - people who I KNOW would avoid any sort of awkwardness.

A friend of mine the other day, in the middle of a party, just said 'I think we all need to sit down and talk about Jim's hair! How do you get it to look so good!" I know that in your head, you're thinking of a dude who is just blatantly taking the piss, but trust me, this person would never do anything to make me feel uncomfortable.

That said, I have no doubt whatsoever that you, or anyone else who wears/is thinking of wearing would suspect!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
But would you compliment a fat person on how slim they are? Or even bring up the topic of weight?

The thing that's proven to me that people don't know is how freely they discuss my hair - people who I KNOW would avoid any sort of awkwardness.

A friend of mine the other day, in the middle of a party, just said 'I think we all need to sit down and talk about Jim's hair! How do you get it to look so good!" I know that in your head, you're thinking of a dude who is just blatantly taking the piss, but trust me, this person would never do anything to make me feel uncomfortable.

That said, I have no doubt whatsoever that you, or anyone else who wears/is thinking of wearing would suspect!
Ah, good pt! :)