That Guy Reflects On Recent Developments

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've wanted to write this post for the last couple days; just me sharin' some thoughts on 2016 and forthcoming things.

First, a bit of my own history:

Last summer, hairloss started to hit me and fast. At first, I just started coping; believing there was nothing I could do about it; it didn't work. Some years prior, I realized I didn't have the kinds of people I wanted in my life and that to get them, I'd have to make to make changes to the first impression people would get looking at me.

I cut my long hair, started taking real good care of it; dressing a lot better, and leaving the standard jeans and metal-band T-shirts in the dust; getting my teeth worked, on etc. It changed my life completely and I could never go back to who I was before. Suddenly, I wasn't asked if I sold weed anymore, no "random" questions from suspicious cops about where I was headed when I'd go to the corner store at night, I got hired by every job I applied at and girls — attractive ones, even! — actually agreed to not just talk to me, but go out on dates too.

Then, when one my worst fears started happening at age 23/24, threatening to ruin what I worked so hard to improve, it took 3 doctors before one told me there was actually something that could be done about it: finasteride and minoxidil. Just a few weeks after I started treatment, the Tsuji deal was announced. Since then, I've become concerned with not just about what I can do for it today, but what I might be able to do about it tomorrow.

TL;DR - Thoughts On Developing Treatments:

Topicals aren't something I see as ever being a true solution, but the FIDIA lotion has some solid backing. If it goes well for the company beyond Brotzu's research, we could possibly see it next year and could be a good alternative to finasteride and minoxidil. It's also a viable option for AA, which is good.

I don't know much about Kelopesia, because there isn't much about it beyond marketing hype. To be honest, if it weren't coming from a university, I'd say it was a scam 100%; hope I'm wrong.

Wounding is something I feel neither great enthusiasm nor extreme doubt for. Based on findings dating years back, I think Follica probably will wind up producing hair. Whether the results will be significant enough or not, is anybody's guess.

Injections like Histogen and Shiseido/RepliCel are what I see as being the most likely near-future solutions to hairloss, though (especially in the former's case) likely won't be a solution for people ranking high on the Norwood scale. Histogen will probably be the first to make it to market; it's a real treatment and it works.

ShisedoCel is what I'm most eagerly anticipating the forthcoming results of. Given RepliCel's latest data, with more coming, I think it's promising; growing a full head of hair from it may not be out of the question. If it works out, it would be the best method as it is not nearly as resource intensive or as invasive as other methods and will certainly not be as expensive. Follicles crossed.

Hair Multiplication is the big one. I don't even need to say that Tsuji is obviously the one closest to having this commercialized. Organ Tech stated that their research has also shown them means of solving the epithelial culturing problem, research from other teams last year shows people on the right track with this too and companies like Hairclone, TissUse and L'Oreal's partner feel the tech is there to do it, with TissUse looking at beginning clinical trials around the time of Tsuji.

I really do believe that this endeavor is going to succeed, given all the great research surrounding it even dating back to when Dr. Jahoda grew new hair from his wife's arm.

It will be bitter sweet, though. Especially for Tsuji, his method is quite complex and requires many trained surgeons, automation, facilities, employees, etc. As per the interview...this is going to be pricey and will take many years yet before the technology is available across the globe at a price anyone past NW2...3 at the most, could afford. I suspect that for slick bald people, this is likely not going to be a realistic option until they're long past their "prime" (youth), so to speak.

So until then, we've got at least one more year of finasteride, minoxidil and transplants, but in the meantime we can look forward to clinical data and the beginnings of historic human trials.

Let me know what you think; agree or disagree. Offer up your own thoughts.

Unless you're just going to be a self-righteous, dislike-slinging doubtful, pessimistic, patronizing dick about it. If so, kindly gtfo now.

MoreHairpls

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as you, except a little younger and hair loss seems to be fairly slow (I think). I have the most faith in histogen, shiseido, Fidia, and follica. After seeing the news from fidia, I am really hoping it was just a rough estimate from some communications person, and that it will come out "by" 2018 as the English article reads, rather than during.

Assuming it works, that alone would save me possibly without needing even a tiny hair transplant. If it does, I'll probably get histogen and/or shiseido depending on the results to thicken up my hair and immunize it hopefully. It just kills me to wait, especially when it's hard to tell if Finasteride is working/will start working. I'm probably going to add Dutasteride once a week and see if that helps as I've read people say online. But I have to agree, I think these upcoming treatments will have some sort of good effect, and I have faith at least one will help a lot....just need to come out sooner! 21st century cures act maybe?

donsf448

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also waiting as long as possible before taking the plunge into finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral due to fear of sides. Though I do feel for the people who were let down by the Fidia announcement. Hopefully 'by' 2018 was an intentional part of the statement. I'm guessing a big pharma company's PR wing wouldn't put out a date that proves to be wrong. As someone who works in engineering, I see marketing give a lot of cushion to the time of future product releases. Though if I have to wait until 2019 (when I'm 30), it may very well be too late.

I'm also thinking trying the wounding/minoxidil combo, but I've never seen anyone on any forum say 'whoah I tried it out and it totally worked for me!'. We probably would have seen that by now with all the crazy stuff people are trying on their own. Follica has some really cool backers behind it but I'm guessing they're doing something a bit more complex than what we could do with a dermarolling kit bought off amazon.

In the meantime, I'll just own the current state of my hair (Norwood 2-2.5) with new haircuts. Still thinking long and hard about finasteride, but I may go down that direction by mid-year.

resu

Reaction score
Why don't they put out the treatments out there then improve them over time? If the trials show a good profile when it comes to safety then put it out there, if more random people get to try the treatment they could even get more data on how to improve it.

I mean on countries that aren't restricted by the FDA and such, I was seeing some videos on China by the https://www.youtube.com/user/thefoodranger and it shown a very high amount of balding men, even not so old ones.

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Clinical trial for setipiprAnt is up this year I think, if it's actually useful might warrant going to Kane. I doubt it though.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agree with everything, best to just get a hair transplant now if you're NW3-4. Think of Replicel or Tsuji Riken as an insurance policy for when you're older and have exhausted your donor reserves and need to preserve what you have. If higher then you may have to wait for Tsuji to rescue you

FootyStar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man I really hope that Brotzu lotion / FIDIA actually works on severe alopecia areata and actually gets released in the near future. If it doesn't then JAK inihibs are my only hope (god knows when those care coming out).

All else fails I'm getting a full cap wig. Screw the stigma I've had enough of this BS.

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
Man I really hope that Brotzu lotion / FIDIA actually works on severe alopecia areata and actually gets released in the near future. If it doesn't then JAK inihibs are my only hope (god knows when those care coming out).

All else fails I'm getting a full cap wig. Screw the stigma I've had enough of this BS.

Be grateful for having AA and not Androgenetic Alopecia.
Not saying it's any less terrible, of course, but yours is pretty much cured.

Netsky

My Regimen
Reaction score
@ that guy what do you think about Temp SMP for NW4 plus ? A way to bridge the gap ?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Be grateful for having AA and not Androgenetic Alopecia.
Not saying it's any less terrible, of course, but yours is pretty much cured.

I assumed same thing until i was misdiagnosed with AA and did research--its an absolute sh*t show..No cure just treatments that are extremely toxic and stop when you stop them.
its highly unpredictable and life long and you can get a small spot one year and be totally baled next year..no way to know..it can make not just every hair in head fall out but can make your eyebrows and eyelashes fall out..Unpredictable..

You think hair loss is awful (which it is) until you contemplate losing your eyebrows and eyelashes...

And it all can happen extremely fast...balding takes years--Loseing full head to AA can take weeks.

BruceMackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
I for one am optimistic for the future. Just a year ago I was reassuring myself that if it all went tits up and I went NW6-7 while depleting my donor area after transplants, then maybe body or beard hair would be needed. I was even examining the hair on my feet. My feet guys. Feet. Now for everyone who doesn't have a foot fetish (hell, even those with a foot fetish) that's a rather vile prospect. I do not foresee that future anymore.

The way I see it, we are still blitzing through the timeline. I understand that for those who have been in the game for a long time that it's hard to see it that way, and also for those who have rapid loss. However, at least for me, I did not know of any of the upcoming treatments 1-2 years ago. 2016 can perhaps be seen as the year when hope arrived; with the announcements of partnerships, potential new treatments, members who usually only reside in the 'Impact of Hairloss' section starting to filter into the New Treatments areas. We also got the 21st Century Cures Act which is a step in the right direction however relevant.
2017 appears to be the year in which we will expand our knowledge. Hopefully we will have some results/information revealed to us, with Brotzu, SETI, the replicel factsheet etc.

Then it's looking like 2018 will be the year the fireworks go off. With the expected release of at least Histogen and Brotzu, and maybe Replicel. If by the end of 2018 I'm grumbling about paying for flights to Japan or Mexico, by my standards today, I will be absolutely delighted. Furthermore, by this point hopefully we will have received news that Tsuji's method has started human trials.

Understandably all of that is filled with ifs and maybes. The future is hard to predict, especially in this industry. Our understanding will evolve, and our predictions will need to be altered along with them. But for now we do have a semblance of a timeline of sorts. I'd say buckle in for the ride, but it's more likely to feel like a snails pace. We have a saying in my country, 'You wait ages for a London bus, and then two (or more) come at once.' Hopefully this will be the case, or maybe if we're extremely lucky we'll only need one to work. One last thing I would suggest is minimising ones time on this forum. It's important to get updates, and it helps us keep hope. But obsess too much and the opposite will happen. The fastest way to speed up waiting is simply life, you best go live it.

Xenithrising

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Whats your favourite metal band?
2. Whats your favourite metal sub genre?
3. Are you kvlt?
4. Is your b**ch bad and boujee?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
TL; DR

"In five years."

Here's some real advice:

If you're over 30 and aren't living your life because of your hair loss, get a hair transplant, because there's nothing coming down the pike in the near future for you; the longer you wait, the more life you're losing. hair transplants have come a long way and can be really transformative.

If you're under 25, stay optimistic - there might be something waiting for you near your 30th birthday. Work on your career and your body, and get on the Big Three (the side effect horror stories are bullshit, and the Big Three can absolutely save your hair life, which is critical for future treatments).

If you're under 20, you're in for some rough years in your early 20's, but there's a great chance you'll have hair in your late 20's. Advice about career, body, and Big Three applies.

See you guys in 2020 when we'll know if anything is going to pan out before 2030.

Thanks for openly admitting you don't even bother to read my posts, you just spam the dislike button.

With any luck, your *** will soon go the way of FoucaultII

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
I assumed same thing until i was misdiagnosed with AA and did research--its an absolute sh*t show..No cure just treatments that are extremely toxic and stop when you stop them.
its highly unpredictable and life long and you can get a small spot one year and be totally baled next year..no way to know..it can make not just every hair in head fall out but can make your eyebrows and eyelashes fall out..Unpredictable..

You think hair loss is awful (which it is) until you contemplate losing your eyebrows and eyelashes...

And it all can happen extremely fast...balding takes years--Loseing full head to AA can take weeks.

I understand it must be terrible to go to sleep with hair and wake up the next day completely bald but what I meant was I've seen many AA sufferers recovering all their hair in months, while I've never seen it happening with Androgenetic Alopecia.
I believe Dr. Christiano will bring relief at least to those with AA.